Fall 2010 Admission Results

No problem, no word on the cohort size, or any info on the number of applications. Just an expected time line for acceptance notifications. :)

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum but I just wanted to say hi and that I'm eagerly awaiting grad school decisions as much as you all are!! Every email notification on my blackberry makes me nervous!

I applied to Harvard, Stanford, Yale, MIT, UCSD, USC, Maryland, Georgetown, and UPenn. I applied for my masters at Josef Korbel as a backup and got in (on 1/20) with a possible full scholarship fellowship. I'm still waiting to hear back from the rest...I haven't heard anything from a single school. I'm trying to make myself finish the powerpoint for my ISA presentation but I can't concentrate!

Same as Harvard..... Anyone willing to contact Yale? wink.gif

Has anyone noticed that if you select the "I'd like to access a more current version of the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences application" bullet on the apply.embark.com online application sign in, it takes you to the financial aid form? Wonder if this means anything . . .

Has anyone noticed that if you select the "I'd like to access a more current version of the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences application" bullet on the apply.embark.com online application sign in, it takes you to the financial aid form? Wonder if this means anything . . .

I took a look and it doesn't seem to be anything. Too bad though!

I also received an email from Ohio, but it didn't say anything about their committment to funding/providing a stipend. It said,"[T]he Department has nominated you for a University Fellowship. These Fellowships are awarded by the Graduate School in a campus-wide competition to the top applicants for graduate study at Ohio State. The results of the Graduate Fellowships will be announced in mid-March, well before you have to make a final decision about where to pursue your graduate studies (that deadline is April 15, 2010). Once the Fellowship awards are announced, I will be able to provide detailed information about the financial award package we will be able to offer you."

I hope I'm misinterpreting this, but it doesn't seem as though they're offering me departmental funding. Depressing. Anybody else get this?

I also received an email from Ohio, but it didn't say anything about their committment to funding/providing a stipend. It said,"[T]he Department has nominated you for a University Fellowship. These Fellowships are awarded by the Graduate School in a campus-wide competition to the top applicants for graduate study at Ohio State. The results of the Graduate Fellowships will be announced in mid-March, well before you have to make a final decision about where to pursue your graduate studies (that deadline is April 15, 2010). Once the Fellowship awards are announced, I will be able to provide detailed information about the financial award package we will be able to offer you."

I hope I'm misinterpreting this, but it doesn't seem as though they're offering me departmental funding. Depressing. Anybody else get this?

My letter had that same paragraph, followed by a sentence saying, "While I am unable to provide financial details until the results of the Fellowship competition are known, be assured that with this offer of admission we are committed to providing you a very competitive five year package of tuition and stipend support."

I don't think if your letter is missing this portion, that means you won't receive funding. It looks to be just a general statement saying that funding is a possibility.

At some schools, the university-wide fellowships are the really prestigious (and generous) ones that supersede department funding. I know University Fellowships at Rutgers are $35,000 a year and there are only about a dozen of them awarded. Not sure if that's anything like what Ohio does.

Edited by rwfan88

Just got an application acknowledgement letter from the New School, no timeline stated, but a sneaky sentence:

"Our staff looks forward to working with you throughout the application process and will contact you directly if any additional steps are

required."

they had me until "the application process"

Just got an application acknowledgement letter from the New School, no timeline stated, but a sneaky sentence:

"Our staff looks forward to working with you throughout the application process and will contact you directly if any additional steps are

required."

they had me until "the application process"

I think we should collect these snarky sentences that they obviously crafted just to mess with our news-hungry minds. :lol:

Congrats Jollywag!

And thanks to cpaige for getting that Harvard information. Looks like we will get notification as the same time as the past four years- at the end of the month.

Since it's now six pm on the east coast, I think its safe to say we are not hearing from Yale today. Based on past results, and the emails that went out this week I really don't think we will hear until next week. Let the waiting game continue...

I was about to offer to do it, since I'm not applying to Harvard and I hate seeing you all so tormented. I know how nervous I am having heard basically nothing from any of my programs - I can't imagine how much more nervous I'd feel if there were dubious posts going up about programs I'd applied to. If someone's pranking, not cool.

By the way, mega congrats to all who have been accepted. I've gotten behind in helping to celebrate here since I've had no admission results or news for this thread, but hopefully that changes soon!

You could call Yale. 203.432.5241

You could call Yale. 203.432.5241

Why not? I have nothing to lose, a ton of you have peace of mind to gain, and I don't think a five-minute phone call would overburden the grad secretary.

(Now, will anyone call Rutgers for me? 732.932.9576? Haha. I'm divided as to whether it would be messy to start a trend of calling each others' schools, but a quick phone call might not be such a bad idea as long as we don't all do it. The last thing we'd want to do is have phones ringing off the hook so grad offices can't get work done.)

Edited by rwfan88

Historically it seems like the Yale decisions start to come on the Friday of the first week of February.

Last year they started on 6 Feb (a Friday) and the year before it was 8 Feb (also Friday).

So... seems like Friday 5 February 2010 is freak out day. :P

At least that's when I'll start with the freaking out. lol. Let's hope I don't get at too much coffee that morning..

Best of luck to everyone, and congrats to those accepted thus far.

Why not? I have nothing to lose, a ton of you have peace of mind to gain, and I don't think a five-minute phone call would overburden the grad secretary.

(Now, will anyone call Rutgers for me? 732.932.9576? Haha. I'm divided as to whether it would be messy to start a trend of calling each others' schools, but a quick phone call might not be such a bad idea as long as we don't all do it. The last thing we'd want to do is have phones ringing off the hook so grad offices can't get work done.)

You calling would be really nice of you, but honestly I think people who applied should call themselves. I feel a bit weird thinking students are calling around for someone else, and it seems a bit strange. It's hard to explain why I feel this way, but something just doesn't feel right about having someone who didn't even apply call.

If I get a chance, I will call tomorrow morning- there is no guarantee they will ask for my name, SSN, home address etc to "blacklist" me from an acceptance. On the off chance they do ask, one can easily provide a fake name as well.

And if I do call you can bet your bottom dollar (whatever the hell that means) that I will be blocking my number and will have a fake name at the ready. Because, let's face it, at the end of the day we're all really paranoid right now.

Historically it seems like the Yale decisions start to come on the Friday of the first week of February.

Last year they started on 6 Feb (a Friday) and the year before it was 8 Feb (also Friday).

So... seems like Friday 5 February 2010 is freak out day. :P

At least that's when I'll start with the freaking out. lol. Let's hope I don't get at too much coffee that morning..

Best of luck to everyone, and congrats to those accepted thus far.

Hopefully we won't hear from Yale until next week. The past two years they've sent out rejections on Friday, then acceptances the following Monday (with a few exceptions).

I have heard this rumor from many sources. FSU is not as bad as Florida, a school that is firing tenured faculty, but all state schools in Florida are in bad shape with professors leaving if given the opportunity. It is not as bad as the mass exodus from California schools, but it is something to consider when making a decision.

I think you have your Florida schools mixed up.

"In the end, unlike at other universities, FSU administrators balanced their budget by firing many faculty members, including many tenured professors like Froelich. That decimated the geological sciences, oceanography, and anthropology departments.

Approximately 43 tenured or tenure-track faculty were laid off across the system. But according to FSU English professor and Faculty Senate President Eric Walker, 35 of those 43 ā€œtenure-lineā€ faculty were lost at FSU. Of about 21 tenured faculty let go across the system, all or all but one were at FSU. "

For the original article in Science, go here.

I think you have your Florida schools mixed up.

"In the end, unlike at other universities, FSU administrators balanced their budget by firing many faculty members, including many tenured professors like Froelich. That decimated the geological sciences, oceanography, and anthropology departments.

Approximately 43 tenured or tenure-track faculty were laid off across the system. But according to FSU English professor and Faculty Senate President Eric Walker, 35 of those 43 ā€œtenure-lineā€ faculty were lost at FSU. Of about 21 tenured faculty let go across the system, all or all but one were at FSU. "

For the original article in Science, go here.

Thank you for informing me of FSUs problems, I had not heard of their actions. Saying that, the University of Florida has also fired their share of tenured professors. After doing some more research, it seems that all, if not most, Florida state schools are firing tenured faculty.