Fall 2010 Admission Results

thanks for confirming that HYP results are all fake.

I just think its incredibly annoying that some people think other people's lives hanging in the balance is a matter for joking.

Good luck to everyone. Let's wait it out in solidarity.

All best,

hh

Do you mind sharing your profile ? I am longing to be admitted to NYU, so I am curious about your background, and maybe I can find out my chance to NYU. (probably knowing how far I am from NYU :P)

I am not sure if this will help, because my background is a bit unconventional: Graduated recently from a European University with a combined BA-MA degree, major: Political Science, minor: Islamic Studies. GPA: not really convertible to US system, but not super good...

My biggest drawback is that it took me almost 10 years to finish what should be a 5-years degree - I have good excuses, but still... (2 years of exchange studies in China; spent 1 1/2 years doing internships in Switzerland, Syria, Kyrgyzstan and New York with various international organizations, and more than 1/2 year working almost full-time to be able to afford those unpaid internships; and in the final year I again worked almost full-time in Dubai and Kyrgyzstan). Dedicated a lot of time to learning the respective languages, so my language portfolio looks quite impressive (at least on paper :rolleyes:). GRE: 760Q, 730V, 5 AWA.

I basically applied to as many universities as possible, in the hope that someone might decide that my CV looks "interesting" instead of "unfocused and probably unable to finish a PhD in less than 10 years". Why NYU picked it up I really don't know - I was under the impression that they are heavy on the quantitative side, and nothing in my application points to such a focus: my writing sample was purely qualitative, and I attended only 3-4 statistic-related classes (admittedly with quite good marks). Mentioned in my sop that I would like to do apply network analysis to authoritarian regimes and therefore would like to work with Adam Przeworski, Bruce Bueno de Mesquita and Alastair Smith (and mentioned some of their papers related to authoritarianism).

Hope that helps - as for me, I am still a bit confused about NYU's choice, but far be it from me to complain...

Well, I know for sure that the NYU result I posted is not fake smile.gif. Except of course, if the three e-mails they sent me so far were hoaxes unsure.gif (now I am getting paranoid as well...). I sent them an e-mail (10 February) to ask if they had decided on all applications already, the answer was: "I cannot comment on the admission status of any other application except to say that our process is ongoing and all applicants will be notified when it is complete."

Don't really know how to interpret that - there still might be hope? Anyway, I keep my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for your support! And congratulations for the getting in NYU!

I am not sure if this will help, because my background is a bit unconventional: Graduated recently from a European University with a combined BA-MA degree, major: Political Science, minor: Islamic Studies. GPA: not really convertible to US system, but not super good...

My biggest drawback is that it took me almost 10 years to finish what should be a 5-years degree - I have good excuses, but still... (2 years of exchange studies in China; spent 1 1/2 years doing internships in Switzerland, Syria, Kyrgyzstan and New York with various international organizations, and more than 1/2 year working almost full-time to be able to afford those unpaid internships; and in the final year I again worked almost full-time in Dubai and Kyrgyzstan). Dedicated a lot of time to learning the respective languages, so my language portfolio looks quite impressive (at least on paper :rolleyes:). GRE: 760Q, 730V, 5 AWA.

I basically applied to as many universities as possible, in the hope that someone might decide that my CV looks "interesting" instead of "unfocused and probably unable to finish a PhD in less than 10 years". Why NYU picked it up I really don't know - I was under the impression that they are heavy on the quantitative side, and nothing in my application points to such a focus: my writing sample was purely qualitative, and I attended only 3-4 statistic-related classes (admittedly with quite good marks). Mentioned in my sop that I would like to do apply network analysis to authoritarian regimes and therefore would like to work with Adam Przeworski, Bruce Bueno de Mesquita and Alastair Smith (and mentioned some of their papers related to authoritarianism).

Hope that helps - as for me, I am still a bit confused about NYU's choice, but far be it from me to complain...

I think I'm learning that dropping Professor names and showing interest-via-article abstracting is the way to get a bounce out of the SOP. I don't think you should be at all surprised that NYU admitted you -- you're stellar.

Thanks for your sharing !! Your experience is really quite impressive and unconventional as you said. But anyway, this still gets you in and leave the rest of us have our finger crossed :P

Congratulations again.

UGHHH its only 10am on the east coast... what time do they normally send, morning or afternoon? My rule has been to wait until 10pm here, then to stop waiting.

Its just turned 9am EST. CMT is one hour behind. So at 1600GMT its 0900 CMT.

Can you tell I'm waiting on Chicago?! <_<

Not that we're aware. All the 2010 posts so far have been deemed to be fake. I'm also waiting.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering because it seemed somewhat suspicious that such a low number posted acceptances and rejections but I received nothing. How are they found to be fake? (Just curious)

Yeah, that's what I was wondering because it seemed somewhat suspicious that such a low number posted acceptances and rejections but I received nothing. How are they found to be fake? (Just curious)

We've just started to deduce that they're fake for a few reasons. They are generally of a low number, no-one claims them on this board, and they seem generally out of sync with everything else, i.e. if you look at a genuine result (e.g. stanford) there are swathes of rejections as well as the few acceptances.

This has lead us to decide that they are fake.

Theory applicants to NYU: Did you get a response? I'm wondering if they're not taking in any theorists.

I'm a theory applicant and haven't heard a thing, positive or negative. This silence is worse than an outright rejection!

We've just started to deduce that they're fake for a few reasons. They are generally of a low number, no-one claims them on this board, and they seem generally out of sync with everything else, i.e. if you look at a genuine result (e.g. stanford) there are swathes of rejections as well as the few acceptances.

This has lead us to decide that they are fake.

This makes a lot of sense and is also why it seemed so suspicious to me when those were posted yesterday. Princeton is the only school left that I even care about hearing from, I've already been accepted to my second choice. This makes the waiting even harder because I just want to know now.

Your lives are 'hanging in the balance'? You're in at a top ten school, I'd stop with the over-the-top hyperbole.

It wasn't intentional melodrama. I merely meant that it would be nice to be settled on plans for the future which. Although I'm not hanging one armed onto a cliff edge with an itch on my ass, I don't appreciate being dicked around or caused unnecessary stress.

This makes a lot of sense and is also why it seemed so suspicious to me when those were posted yesterday. Princeton is the only school left that I even care about hearing from, I've already been accepted to my second choice. This makes the waiting even harder because I just want to know now.

What's your second choice?

On 2/12/2010 at 10:18 AM, polisci_nerd said:

WashU. (I suppose I will also consider Michigan but think that the faculty at WashU is stronger for my research interests)

I'd be happy with another offer from any of the schools I applied to. I'm also stoked about michigan.

I'd be happy with another offer from any of the schools I applied to. I'm also stoked about michigan.

Yeah, Michigan is a great school. What is your subfield? I am doing judicial and interbranch interactions more generally. I wonder when Princeton usually lets everyone know.

Does anyone have an idea of when we should hear from Yale? All these fake acceptances are making me anxious.

My subfield at Michigan was pol theory. However, I'm a public lawyer to trade, so judicial politics is a big thing for me, too.

I have no clue when we'll hear from Princeton or Yale. Its absolutely up to them I guess.

Edited by hooperhayley

FAO those who got admits at UVA-

Did you get a personalised email, mass/standard email, or was it just through the website? Also, did you get any info on funding?

Sorry if you've already told others this information - I did look, but couldn't immediately see! (At work at the moment, probably shouldn't be posting...)

Oh, and PS - congratulations!