Fall 2010 Admission Results

Unless I'm imagining things, I remember several Cornell applicants inquiring to the grad secretary about when the department might send out decisions, and it sounds like the first or second week of March is the expectation (which is a departure from last year). Ditto for Minnesota. Last year they did acceptances (and even some rejections I believe) during the final week of Feb, whereas this year they're sending decisions, in the words of Judith M (who all of us applicants have gotten e-mails from) "during the first few days of March". So yeah, my impression is that neither Cornell nor UMN should be expected this week...

That's what I remember as well. I think there were one or two (unclaimed?) acceptances several weeks ago, which is one of the reasons why I asked. Also, grad secretaries always seem to be very generous with their estimates about when they will inform people, so I wanted to check if anyone had heard something, but apparently that is not the case. Let's just wait then.

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum, though i've been reading it constantly for the last two weeks. I've been rejected from most of my top choices and wait listed at Columbia a couple of days ago. Columbia has now become my top choice, but I'll have to wait possibly until mid-April, when the final numbers are clear, to find out if i can attend. I noticed that many of the columbia acceptances were also accepted at similar or higher ranked programs (i.e., berkeley, yale, princeton). While I'm sure many of you are still making final decisions, if you are sure that you are not attending Columbia--or, for that matter, any school--please let the admissions people know as soon as possible so that us waitlisters may be able to hear back from them more quickly. I really dont think i can bare the agony of waiting until April to know where I'm going to school. Thanks!

Re Harvard and all the other acceptances that go up that we don't know about. I think we should officially establish that at least for us poli sci applicants, it's a matter of common courtesy to claim an acceptance on the discussion page when you post one on the results page, especially if it's a school with which there has not been any news of late. Perhaps one day doing what I outlined in the previous sentence will rise to the level of saying please and thank you and offering the nice lady with fewer items go ahead of you in the grocery line wink.gif .

Re Harvard and all the other acceptances that go up that we don't know about. I think we should officially establish that at least for us poli sci applicants, it's a matter of common courtesy to claim an acceptance on the discussion page when you post one on the results page, especially if it's a school with which there has not been any news of late. Perhaps one day doing what I outlined in the previous sentence will rise to the level of saying please and thank you and offering the nice lady with fewer items go ahead of you in the grocery line wink.gif .

Haha agreed. I wonder if there are a lot of people that just read the results page?

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum, though i've been reading it constantly for the last two weeks. I've been rejected from most of my top choices and wait listed at Columbia a couple of days ago. Columbia has now become my top choice, but I'll have to wait possibly until mid-April, when the final numbers are clear, to find out if i can attend. I noticed that many of the columbia acceptances were also accepted at similar or higher ranked programs (i.e., berkeley, yale, princeton). While I'm sure many of you are still making final decisions, if you are sure that you are not attending Columbia--or, for that matter, any school--please let the admissions people know as soon as possible so that us waitlisters may be able to hear back from them more quickly. I really dont think i can bare the agony of waiting until April to know where I'm going to school. Thanks!

I second that for Princeton (although I'm grateful to have some other great acceptances). :)

Hi guys, sorry to disappoint some of you, but the Harvard admission I claimed yesterday was not fake (and I certainly hope not since I would have wasted a good bottle of champagne otherwise). They called me and have since confirmed via email. But it's the political economy & government program and their admission is independent of the the regular government program. So this mean nothing for anybody applying for the government PhD at Harvard.

Congrats on the admit GoC!

Do you know if they have sent out all the admissions for the PEG program? Or for that matter, how many they accepted?

Just talked to Judith at UMN. I told her I was just calling to confirm that we should be hearing early next week...she said that now there's a "good chance" it could be at the end of this week but "if not then, then definitely early next week". So, perhaps some of us will get some good (or bad unsure.gif ) news earlier than we thought...

Just talked to Judith at UMN. I told her I was just calling to confirm that we should be hearing early next week...she said that now there's a "good chance" it could be at the end of this week but "if not then, then definitely early next week". So, perhaps some of us will get some good (or bad unsure.gif ) news earlier than we thought...

Ooh, very exciting! Thanks for sharing that! That would certainly be a nice piece of news at the end of the week (though all my profs say that Texas or UVA is better for what I'm studying... who knows). :-)

I also am in complete agreement with this.

No word from Harvard.

anyone claiming the UPenn waitlists that just went up? was it a mass email or from professors etc?

I got one of them. It seemed to be a mass email, although they did use my name ...

yeah... they haven't sent out rejections yet.

I just asked Columbia about decision notification timlines and they said early to mid March. So maybe they just did the first round admits and are waiting to see what the yield rate is (or are still deliberating over some people). There might still be hope.