How to turn down interviews?

pupperoni

So I really underestimated how competitive I was and applied to too many schools, and while I'm super grateful that I've been given so many interview opportunities I don't think it's possible to attend all of the interviews. I've already committed to 6 interviews, most of which are my top programs, but I'm not quite sure how to turn down other interviews that may come my way without making anyone feel too bad. I'd also already asked two other places whether there were alternate dates or skype interviews and they've been very accommodating, but I honestly don't want to travel any more than I have to, so I'm wondering if there would be a graceful way to turn those interviews down... I don't want to sound ungrateful but I'm already overwhelmed just thinking about the interviews I've already committed to! Does anyone have any tips on how to turn down interviews without sounding like an ungrateful jerk? Thanks!!

tldr: how to turn down interviews 1) after "leading some programs on"and 2) after getting an initial invite?

First congrats, thats awesome! I think that they will appreciate you not wasting anyones time if you really think you won't end up attending that school. I would say something along the lines like "Dear Prof. Mittens, I greatly appreciate the opportunity of being interviewed and exploring the fluffy department. I admire and wish great success for the department in coming years. Unfortunately, I will be unable to accept your interview due to other commitments. Sincerely, pupperoni". I don't think its necessary to say you have to many interviews and decided you aren't feeling the department. I think brief, polite, and sincere correspondence will be okay. If they press you for a reason, I think it will be find that you have conflicting obligations/interviews and leave it at that. Hope I helped, good luck.

Just be grateful and graceful and it will be fine. Frankly, they will probably appreciate your candor as it will prevent them from wasting time/money, and might even help a fellow candidate by freeing up a spot. I wouldn't worry about hurting any feelings, its just business and we are all big boys and girls.

@pupperoni nicely done! I'm sure you're not the first to encounter this issue. I think it'd be helpful to focus on 3-4; 6 interviews sounds like an awful lot to me. You want to give your best to your top choices, and you might be stretching yourself thin. Mind you, this is based on my experience with online dating, not grad applications, so take that with a grain of salt. ? Good luck and I hope you land the program of our dreams!