Biostatistics Masters Profile Evaluation

snimak

I am currently applying to biostatistics masters programs and would love any insight or recommendations or just a general evaluation of my profile, recommendations or advice please!

Undergrad Institution: Boston University
Major: Math + Statistics
GPA: 3.31

Type of student: Domestic white female
GRE: Quant: 162, Verbal: 160, W: waiting to hear

Relevant Courses (in order of completion): Calc 1 - A ; Stats 1 - A; Calc 2 - A; Stats 2 - B; Linear Algebra - B+; Calc 3 - C+; Regression Analysis - B+, ANOVA - A; Probability - B; Java 1: - B+; Databases -A; Mathematical Stats - B-; Stochastic Processes - A; Statistical Computing - A-; Linear Models - A; R Programming  - A; Biological Database Analysis - A; Practical Skills for Biostatistics  - A; Clinical Trials - A-; Java 2  - B+

Letters of recommendation: 
Clinical Trials and ANOVA Professor - Strong

SIBS + Statistical Computing Professor - Strong

Computational Biology Internship Advisor - Strong

Misc: 1 Summer of SIBS // 7 month computational biology internship at a pharmaceutical company // currently in my 6th month working as a data analyst at a small healthcare company // 3 semesters deans list

Concerns: GPA and low scores in some classes... specifically Calc 3. GRE Scores may not be high enough to get into top schools. I feel good about my chances at UIC and CSPH but not sure about the others.

Schools:
Brown University; Boston University; Columbia University; Northwestern University; University of Illinois at Chicago; Colorado School of Public Health

Thanks so much in advance!

Your profile looks really similar to mine. I got a C in Calc 3 too lol. 

The Head of the MAS program that is my top choice said that a C in Calc 3 wasn't a huge deal since I got an A in intro to Probability theory and calc 3 was a prerequisite for that class. I guess take that for what's worth. 

Edited by Kayla M

• 2 months later...

For anyone who will look at this in the future, with the above profile, I applied to Brown MsC Biostatistics, Boston University MA Biostat, Colorado School of Public Health MS Biostat, and University of Illinois Chicago MS Biostat.

(UPDATE TO PROFILE: GRE Writing Score was 4.0)

Brown - Accepted /w departmental funding no indication on how much yet but i hear its usually between 20-25%

BU - Accepted

CSPH - Offered interview but declined to interview

UIC - Accepted, no departmental funding but offered federal loans to cover cost of tuition, housing, and meal plans