goldenstardust11

11 hours ago, matchamatcha said:

ayyyy, I've also been knitting up a storm.  I'd totally partake in a philosophy themed KAL.

EDIT: also, yes, anxiety is hitting hard (hence the knitting).  No backup plan, and the real job sucks.

Sorry your job sucks. I know the feeling, I'm half employed but looking for a second job.

If there are enough people interested, we should totally do a KAL. What would we do? Probably something relatively easy so more people could participate and something gender neutral, so maybe a scarf? Or we could do it for the entire TGC to attract more people.

• 2 weeks later...

Thesis, thesis, abstract for presentation about thesis, quasi-argument with advisor about thesis, thesis, some exams and studying for stuff that isn't the thesis, four (!) separate part-time jobs at the university and now starting another one at a gov ministry, all of which together just scrape past monthly minimum wage together with my thesis scholarship, which bring me back to, right, thesis, thesis, hanging out late in the department working on my thesis and getting a nostalgia trip from a senior professor rearranging his office at half past 8 pm, making me doubt - on a deep, dark coffee break of the soul sort of level - the whole notion of going one inch further in an academic career but also getting tips for, yes, the thesis.

Anyone else a fan of The Partially Examined Life? I've been listening to it a lot recently. Because I work full-time right now, it's a nice way to fit in some philosophy while I'm driving to work or walking around during my lunch break. Or I'll listen to my other favorite, Entitled Opinions, while I'm falling asleep. It's weirdly relaxing.

8 hours ago, jkm871 said:

Anyone else a fan of The Partially Examined Life? I've been listening to it a lot recently. Because I work full-time right now, it's a nice way to fit in some philosophy while I'm driving to work or walking around during my lunch break. Or I'll listen to my other favorite, Entitled Opinions, while I'm falling asleep. It's weirdly relaxing.

Completely unrelated to your post, but I love your profile picture.

1 hour ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

Thanks! I wish I could take credit for it, but it's a still from Tarkovsky's Stalker.

23 minutes ago, jkm871 said:
2 hours ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

Thanks! I wish I could take credit for it, but it's a still from Tarkovsky's Stalker.

That's why I like it! Tarkovsky is one of my two favorite directors. You can probably guess the other from my profile picture.

39 minutes ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

That's why I like it! Tarkovsky is one of my two favorite directors. You can probably guess the other from my profile picture.

It's Bergman, right? Is it from the Seventh Seal?

38 minutes ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

It is Bergman, but the still is actually from the Virgin Spring (not my favorite Bergman, but one of my favorite images in Bergman).

Ah, right! Sven Nykvist had an amazing eye. And Max von Sydow is unmistakable.

Edited by jkm871

On 1/7/2017 at 8:51 AM, goldenstardust11 said:

Wondering what everyone else is up to now that the waiting game has begun?

For myself, I'm reading (currently The Help by Kathryn Stockett), knitting, binge-watching Pretty Little Liars (I'm late to the game), and hanging out with my cat mostly. Once my brain's recovered a bit, I'll continue translating some Plato :) 

Weirdly, I too binged PLL after finishing applications. I guess we were about to start season 5 that year, and I got through the first four seasons I think within the first week of submitting applications. 

33 minutes ago, Big Ariana said:

Weirdly, I too binged PLL after finishing applications. I guess we were about to start season 5 that year, and I got through the first four seasons I think within the first week of submitting applications. 

lol that's a feat. I'm not quite as quickly. Just into season 3. But I'm also working on a few shows at once :).

On February 9, 2017 at 3:57 AM, jkm871 said:

Entitled Opinions is a great show. Robert Harrison is cool and goes deep.