goldenstardust11

Wondering what everyone else is up to now that the waiting game has begun?

For myself, I'm reading (currently The Help by Kathryn Stockett), knitting, binge-watching Pretty Little Liars (I'm late to the game), and hanging out with my cat mostly. Once my brain's recovered a bit, I'll continue translating some Plato :) 

1 hour ago, goldenstardust11 said:

binge-watching Pretty Little Liars (I'm late to the game)

The big reveal in season 6 finale ("Game over, Charles") was underwhelming or rather just so random that it was dissatisfying.

In the waiting period, I'm taking two classes, teaching two classes, and hoping to conference again: I've submitted my writing sample to 8 different conferences already. Not much time for anything else! Though, my wife and I got a 3D puzzle of Neuschwanstein Castle. It's gonna be epic. If I get to reading, I'll catch back up on fundamental metaphysics books I got for Christmas.

15 minutes ago, Turretin said:

The big reveal in season 6 finale ("Game over, Charles") was underwhelming or rather just so random that it was dissatisfying.

In the waiting period, I'm taking two classes, teaching two classes, and hoping to conference again: I've submitted my writing sample to 8 different conferences already. Not much time for anything else! Though, my wife and I got a 3D puzzle of Neuschwanstein Castle. It's gonna be epic. If I get to reading, I'll catch back up on fundamental metaphysics books I got for Christmas.

Ah, I'm only in season one... So I suppose, my disappointment will have to wait :)

Oh yes, games are definitely helping- My bf and I just got a couple new decks of Magic cards to pass the time. And wow! That is a lot of work. I'm also taking a couple classes once next semester starts, so that will definitely keep me busy once that starts back up :)

23 minutes ago, mano said:

I am indeed enjoying it but, yeah, it is a bit difficult to keep track -- he gives so many details, oh my!  the bit where he talks about the hair style of men was funny, though:)

Haha. I'm also just generally not the best at history, so it's easy for me to get lost... Definitely something I'm working on! 

1 hour ago, mano said:

forgot to add... I also keep finding typos and some formal mistakes in my bibliography part of WS..it's kinda hobby for me now <_<

yeah... I'm refusing to look at my sample and sops at all... I know I'd just fret over every single thing I said if I did...

I saw a typo in my writing sample the other day, and I was impressed with myself that I didn't even care. I could, technically, have swapped out the file for at least one of the apps when I saw it. Not even gonna care. Whatever. A typo is exactly that: a mistake that even published works by top philosophers make. So what? The reviewers likely won't notice it anyway.

For pete's sake, if van Inwagen can't even use a traditionally known word "univocity" (being univocal), but instead says "univocacy" in a famous essay, then surely a lowly student can have a typo or two in an unpublished work.

Edited by Turretin

1 hour ago, Turretin said:

I saw a typo in my writing sample the other day, and I was impressed with myself that I didn't even care. I could, technically, have swapped out the file for at least one of the apps when I saw it. Not even gonna care. Whatever. A typo is exactly that: a mistake that even published works by top philosophers make. So what? The reviewers likely won't notice it anyway.

I would imagine that this is a very important skill in academia, and I commend you for it.

I am rethinking my whole strategy for my statements of purpose now, and it's just counterproductive at this point. 

3 hours ago, Turretin said:

For pete's sake, if van Inwagen can't even use a traditionally known word "univocity" (being univocal), but instead says "univocacy" in a famous essay, then surely a lowly student can have a typo or two in an unpublished work.

:lol:this made my day!

I'm still longing for free time! Just another week or two until my last apps are due.. I'm working on my WS up until the bitter end. But when I do have free time again I'll probably play lots of guitar and read some of my New Yorkers that have been piling up. Also binge watch Black Mirror

Edited by jkm871

17 minutes ago, jkm871 said:

I'm still longing for free time! Just another week or two until my last apps are due.. I'm working on my WS up until the bitter end. But when I do have free time again I'll probably play lots of guitar and read some of my New Yorker's that have been piling up. Also binge watch Black Mirror

Omg Black Mirror is too much for me. I watched two episodes and decided it was too real. Good luck on finishing up! 

2 hours ago, goldenstardust11 said:

Omg Black Mirror is too much for me. I watched two episodes and decided it was too real. Good luck on finishing up! 

I hope you at least watched The Entire History of You and Be Right Back before quitting. Some of the best television ever.

And of course Shut Up and Dance, but that one is pretty brutal.

Edited by .letmeinplz//

3 minutes ago, .letmeinplz// said:

I hope you at least watched The Entire History of You and Be Right Back before quitting. Some of the best television ever.

And of course Shut Up and Dance, but that one is pretty brutal.

So, I started with "The National Anthem" and then skipped to "Nosedive" both of which were really good, but super intense. In all honesty, I'm sure I'll be drawn back into it. It's certainly insanely well done- I can tell that from those two alone. To be fair, I do like intense/brutal television shows from time to time, I was just disturbed by how close to reality these feel (which I know is part of the show's brilliance)

Because I am a Christian, I read a lot of Psalms and pray. I also caught up on the show "Better Call Saul" and started reading an older edition of Irving Copi's Introduction to Logic. Next semester, I am taking: (1) Virginia Civil Procedure; (2) Corporate Tax; (3) Secured Transactions (UCC-II); and (4) Professional Skills. Most of that is boring and nuanced legal material, so these classes should keep me distracted until results come in! 

I'll also be working as an editor for the Journal of Global Justice & Public Policy. 

I've been spending a lot of time with people. The time consumption of preparing my writing sample overtook my life enough to where just being around people has been nice. And since the semester is starting and grad schools don't really see my final semester, I'm taking my last real opportunity to take a bunch of classes that just sound fun. (Which is still all of the philosophy courses on offer, but also some zanier stuff like The Devil in Literature.)

That's great! I'm glad you're taking advantage of being done to pursue some things that are just good for your mind and soul. You and @desolesiii, and many others, actually. I'm trying to do the same. Adding some poetry reading to my daily activities and I've started (an attempt at) journaling again. 

I've also got my full time job to keep me busy but I'm actually amazed at how much time I have now that I'm done with apps. Once the semester starts back up, the classes I'm auditing will take back some of that time, but it's amazing how much time a 9-5 leaves you with when you don't have other things or obligations going on!

Edited by goldenstardust11

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming late to this thread, but oh well...

I've recently become somewhat interested in philosophy of race...or, at least, I'm exploring the topic. I'm really enjoying it! I've just read Alcoff's The Future of Whiteness and Yancy's Look, a White!, both of which were great. Yancy's style is amazing...I'm kind of regretting not applying to Emory after reading his book. Also, I'm about to start Mills' The Racial Contract. If anyone has any suggestions for reading on this topic, I'd love to hear them.

I also just started watching the new season of Bates Motel, and it is intense!

Edited by Swann

I'm spending way too much time on TGC but when I'm not here, I'm knitting, playing with my dogs, or running. Or having a caffeine overload. Maybe we should start a philosophy knitting group, or a philosophy themed KAL haha.

Also, anyone else having anxiety issues with all of this? I constantly feel sick to my stomach now just thinking of the applications.

1 hour ago, Bryterlayter said:

Also, anyone else having anxiety issues with all of this? I constantly feel sick to my stomach now just thinking of the applications.

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't have a backup plan, and there's no way I can endure my job for another year.

1 hour ago, Bryterlayter said:

I'm spending way too much time on TGC but when I'm not here, I'm knitting, playing with my dogs, or running. Or having a caffeine overload. Maybe we should start a philosophy knitting group, or a philosophy themed KAL haha.

ayyyy, I've also been knitting up a storm.  I'd totally partake in a philosophy themed KAL.

EDIT: also, yes, anxiety is hitting hard (hence the knitting).  No backup plan, and the real job sucks.

Edited by matchamatcha

Anxiety just started hitting me hard today for some reason! I also have no real backup, and I can't stay at my job forever, so I'm trying not to freak out. 

I should start knitting again while I listen to records. That's all I have to keep me sane; records, lots and lots of records...