Interview Decision Turnaround

koab79

What is the typical wait time for decisions for programs where you are admitted to the PI rather than the department? I know schools have multiple visitation days is going to the first scheduled one considered a good sign? I been staring at the results a bit and it seems some people get an answer a few days after the interview. 

Is it fair to ask for a timeline during the interview? 

In my experience POIs and departments offered this information before anyone had a chance to ask.  They know we have multiple options and need as much information as possible to make decisions so there is no point in being secretive.  If you don't experience this information being volunteered there is nothing wrong with asking your POI what the next steps are.

Yes, it is okay to ask about a timeline during the interview. It's one of the commonly suggested questions to ask when you get to the "do you have any questions for us?" part of the interview. In my opinion, this should not be the only question you ask, be sure to ask a question about the program itself too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is fair to ask about the timeline during interview. They understand that the waiting process is stressful for the applicants. I also asked in mine. Though like TakeruK said, I did not make it my only (nor my first) question to them. I asked them casually about it at the end of the interview after we had some nice discussion based on my questions regarding the program and department.