Researchers on Media/Film and Urban Space?

yl7713

Question

So, I'm in a MA urban studies program, and taking courses on media and film. will apply to a PhD next year. 

I've been doing some research on finding scholars who are doing research on media (would be better if it's on film) and urban space. I found like one person at NYU MCC, and one PhD student there. And I really like the the PhD program at Brown MCM since they are doing a combination of researching and producing, but it looks they have 0 person is doing stuff on urban space. 

Anyone has any ideas? Thanks a lot!

3 answers to this question

I think there are a lot of Communication/ Communication Arts/ Media and Communication/ Communication Studies programs that have faculty researching what you're looking for. I recall seeing quite a few people while I was looking for programs in Communication. They may not specifically say urban space but will still be applicable. 

Try UC San Diego and Yale as well. It was either Ohio University and/or Bowling Green State University that had a few professors doing urban space. University of Wisconsin-Madison Communication Arts probably would have someone as well. But at least in Communication, space itself is a pretty hot topic so it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Also, a better approach would probably be to look at journal articles and books in your field that really interest you and look at where the writer is teaching/ got their Ph.D. 

Harvard has a PhD program in Visual and Environment Studies. I am not sure if they have faculties specifically working on the topic of urban spaces, but it is probably worth checking out. UC San Diego might be of your interest as well. Their communication program as well as digital arts program are both great places. 

Since it is a pretty interdisciplinary field of interest, I would suggest looking at more flexible and multidisciplinary programs so that you have more opportunities to work with faculties across departments. UC Irvines, UC Santa Cruz, UC Santa Barbara, Northwestern, USC, and MIT might have programs that have faculties who specialize in media and urban space.

Hey, this is my vague area of interest! I just submitted PhD applications with the idea for my research being how urban destruction and the forced demolition of buildings in captured in film. Check out Giuliana Bruno at Harvard (and Laura Frahm), she is a professor in both film and the architecture department. Harvard VES department overall has interests in urban life / architecture.