Can you be admitted without an interview?

Quelq'un

It is Jan 17, and I still did not receive an email for an interview. Is it possible that I get admission without interview, or should I just forget about my chances in admission with the end of January?

Edited by Quelq'un
typo

I don't know what your intended focus of study is, so this will just be generalities. In general, it's better not to assume one way or another until you get official notice from the school. If you look through the list of results from years passed, you'll notice people receive notice of admittance at any point, though you're more likely to hear from a US program before or around April 15th. This could mean you receive notice as early as January or as late as May for a PhD program at a US school. As for interviews, not all programs do interviews and not all programs that do interviews interview everyone they're considering. 

In short, sit tight and work on your Plan B/C/D/etc, but don't rule out an acceptance yet.

It entirely depends on your field and the specific program. For example, in chemical engineering, very few programs do interviews. Most of them just accept the candidates they want and have an Open House weekend later in the spring. In biomedical engineering, however, most programs do interview prior to acceptances. But even within BME, there are a few programs that do acceptances without interviews - Harvard and Cornell are two that I know of. 

Programs that do formal interviews will rarely (if ever) accept someone without an interview, so it really depends on the programs you applied to. Check out the results page and see if any of your programs have a history of doing interview weekends and also when they typically send out notifications, and that should give a good idea what to expect!

15 hours ago, Extra Espresso said:

It entirely depends on your field and the specific program. For example, in chemical engineering, very few programs do interviews. Most of them just accept the candidates they want and have an Open House weekend later in the spring. In biomedical engineering, however, most programs do interview prior to acceptances. But even within BME, there are a few programs that do acceptances without interviews - Harvard and Cornell are two that I know of. 

Programs that do formal interviews will rarely (if ever) accept someone without an interview, so it really depends on the programs you applied to. Check out the results page and see if any of your programs have a history of doing interview weekends and also when they typically send out notifications, and that should give a good idea what to expect!

Thanks for your reply, do you know about the follwoing departments:

Nuclear Engineering_MIT

Physics_Yale, Harvard

Electrical Engineering_princeton

?

Thanks!