Looking for biocultural/medical anth programs

spoitier

Hi everyone!

I am currently a senior studying anthropology and am currently looking into grad schools but having a bit of trouble finding a lot of schools/POI that fit what I want to study.

My interests:

• biocultural medical anthropology
  • public health
  • infectious diseases (particularly HIV/AIDS and STIs)
  • epidemiology
  • community/population health
  • international fieldwork/study abroad options
  • possibly MPH/PhD or MPH/MA programs

I've looked a lot at University of Washington (Seattle), University of Pittsburgh, Case Western, University of Southern Florida (which doesn't have a whole lot of focus on STIs/HIV but I like their dual degree options and study abroads). I'm also considering getting my MPH first and then going on for a PhD in anthro, since some schools like seeing a master's degree first. This option would also broaden my scope of schools. But my main question here is what other schools do you recommend for me to research? Any advice or tips from people studying similar things? Anyone out there with a PhD in anth work for the CDC or something similar?

Thank you all in advance!

On 1/17/2017 at 3:49 PM, spoitier said:

Hi everyone!

I am currently a senior studying anthropology and am currently looking into grad schools but having a bit of trouble finding a lot of schools/POI that fit what I want to study.

My interests:

• public health
  • epidemiology

I've looked a lot at University of Washington (Seattle), University of Pittsburgh, Case Western, University of Southern Florida (which doesn't have a whole lot of focus on STIs/HIV but I like their dual degree options and study abroads). I'm also considering getting my MPH first and then going on for a PhD in anthro, since some schools like seeing a master's degree first. This option would also broaden my scope of schools. But my main question here is what other schools do you recommend for me to research? Any advice or tips from people studying similar things? Anyone out there with a PhD in anth work for the CDC or something similar?

One program that you should definitely look at is University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa. They fund most of their students and they have an anthropologist that focuses on HIV/AIDS. Mississippi State University (my current graduate program) is also really good at funding their students and we are currently in the process of hiring a new medical anthropologist with a specialization in HIV/AIDS. The program that I am in has a STRONG focus in the biocultural approach (my advisor is a bioarchaeologist but did her PhD at Emory with George Armelagos, who was one of the founders of the biocultural approach). You might want to look at Emory also. They don't have professors who do research on HIV/AIDS, but they do have 3 medical anthropologists on staff. They're also really good at placing students to work/intern at the CDC (my advisor did an internship at the CDC during her PhD).

If you have any questions about my program or about any of the others then feel free to message me. I'll be happy to help!

On 1/17/2017 at 1:49 PM, spoitier said:

Hi everyone!

My interests:

• public health
  • epidemiology

Oregon State University has as small med anth applied anthropology program.   They fund MA work and there's a strong public health.  Lots of MA students either minor or dual degree.  It is worth looking into.

I am going to echo bio-archfan and recommend you look into Alabama and Emory. Alabama has a specific PhD track in biocultural medical anthropology. However, Alabama requires you to have a master's before entering their PhD program, just as a heads up. A good chunk of the professors at Alabama also got their PhDs at Emory and Case Western, so you've got good contacts to those programs if you decided to attend here for the MA and then go elsewhere for a PhD. 

Edited by Paloma

Thank you all for your responses! You have definitely given me more to think about, as I have never even thought about looking at some of the school you mentioned!

Thanks again :D

Does anyone have any opinions on USF? I like the idea of their MA/MPH option, their field school/study abroad options in both anth and public health, their biocultural medical anthro concentration...but it is a good school and program? Would I be able to get into a good school for a PhD if I decide to go somewhere else after master's?

7 hours ago, spoitier said:

Does anyone have any opinions on USF? I like the idea of their MA/MPH option, their field school/study abroad options in both anth and public health, their biocultural medical anthro concentration...but it is a good school and program? Would I be able to get into a good school for a PhD if I decide to go somewhere else after master's?

I actually have two friends at USF. One is an undergrad and the other is a current grad student. They both love the program. I know that many of the professors are amazing in their fields. While not biomedical anthropologists, Erin Kimmerle is a top forensic anthropologist and has done A LOT of work in Florida, especially with the boy's school that closed a couple years ago. They found a lot of unmarked graves and Erin identified the remains to allow them to be sent home to their families. David Himmelgreen, is a name in biomedical anthropology, but I honestly don't know much about his work since I don't study medical anth. His research sounds amazing and the fact that he takes the complete applied approach rather than the research approach is perfect for medical anthropologists. Honestly if you're wanting to get your PhD, maybe you should think about just staying there for their PhD/MPH program. It's a well-respected program that many people love the option of. This is the same type of work that Paul Farmer (one of the biggest names in medical anthropology) does and I believe the same type of degree too.

But either way, if you don't want to get your PhD there, you should be able to get into a good PhD program elsewhere. But it truly depends on how you do while in the program. Good grades. Good research. Good papers. Good experience. Most likely a good chance of getting in most places. But again...we can't answer that since you haven't started the MA program there yet.