For All Those Waiting but Disheartened by Rejections

day_manderly

So I've been thinking. I know I am not a finalist in one of the schools I have applied to, and it makes me feel like it's a sign, or like a bad beginning means the whole application season is bad. However, the probability that one gets accepted by a school does not get lower if there is a rejection by another school. There is no reason to become disheartened!

I'm starting this thread for those of us who have gotten a rejection to support each other. Let's be excited, not anxious at this stage!

Edited by day_manderly

I applied to six, and the two that have responded so far have rejected me. One of them is my alma mater-- ouch! Anyway, best of luck to all of us, though personally I am slowly coming to terms with a possible reality that doesn't include grad school, at least this year. :-)

8 minutes ago, ishouldbeworking said:

I applied to six, and the two that have responded so far have rejected me. One of them is my alma mater-- ouch! Anyway, best of luck to all of us, though personally I am slowly coming to terms with a possible reality that doesn't include grad school, at least this year. :-)

I would like to add something: my mentor, who is my biggest intellectual inspiration, told me this evening that her first time around applying to grad school, she got rejected by everyone. But, seeing where she is now, and what an amazing human being she is as well, it is starting to seem that not getting in this first time is not....the end of the world, contrary to popular (my) belief. 

22 minutes ago, ishouldbeworking said:

I would like to add something: my mentor, who is my biggest intellectual inspiration, told me this evening that her first time around applying to grad school, she got rejected by everyone. But, seeing where she is now, and what an amazing human being she is as well, it is starting to seem that not getting in this first time is not....the end of the world, contrary to popular (my) belief. 

Thanks for sharing this! I really needed to read that. This application cycle is not looking good for me and I am preparing my move to launch my plan B, C, and so forth, but I know if I fail now I will be back in the game next year, hopefully with stronger application all-around. Still hoping it won't come to that, though..

A useful thread. I am currently on holiday and therefore less stressed than I think I could be, but I honestly don't know what I'll do if I don't get in anywhere. Being an international applicant I keep thinking I've probably made silly mistakes through not understanding the system well enough - since you don't get feedback though I don't think I would necessarily know what to fix if I reapplied. I'm also not really sure how much I could do in the 3 months I would have between leaving my current job and next years' application deadline to improve my application. Thus if I don't get in anywhere I think I may give up on the PhD dream for the time being and return to it in later life if it seems any more feasible. After backup plan b (go home and cry for a while) my plan c/d are travelling or take another international job and decide what to do with your life whilst somewhere sunny.

6 hours ago, mjl89 said:

A useful thread. I am currently on holiday and therefore less stressed than I think I could be, but I honestly don't know what I'll do if I don't get in anywhere. Being an international applicant I keep thinking I've probably made silly mistakes through not understanding the system well enough - since you don't get feedback though I don't think I would necessarily know what to fix if I reapplied. I'm also not really sure how much I could do in the 3 months I would have between leaving my current job and next years' application deadline to improve my application. Thus if I don't get in anywhere I think I may give up on the PhD dream for the time being and return to it in later life if it seems any more feasible. After backup plan b (go home and cry for a while) my plan c/d are travelling or take another international job and decide what to do with your life whilst somewhere sunny.

Don't give it up for now! You still have lots of time to hear from your schools! As per improving your application - this forum is to swear by. Also, you could talk to POIs and just ask them if you have rapport. You cannot change who you are, but you can learn to show off better. B)

8 hours ago, mjl89 said:

Same situation here. I'm from Europe and the whole application game was totally new for me. I also didn't get any academic feedback on my SoP. The feedback I got from my rejections is very helpful although of course I hope it won't get thát far that I have to try again next year. But I must admit, rejections are like dementors; they suck the positivism out of you.