Waiting as a Comp Lit person

2 minutes ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

I didn't apply, but some people have already reported rejections from Cornell for comparative literature. So if you haven't heard anything yet, you may want to contact the department.

Maybe not contact them necessarily, and I saw somewhere ask if Cornell sends out rejections before admissions? You should check the results board.

I truly think that if he still don't hear anything after March 1, that means we should give up.

9 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Maybe not contact them necessarily, and I saw somewhere ask if Cornell sends out rejections before admissions? You should check the results board.

I truly think that if he still don't hear anything after March 1, that means we should give up.

That would be highly unusual to send out rejections before acceptances, and it would appear that Cornell has not done this the past few years at least. I know that no acceptances have shown up on the results board, but I assume that's just because it's a small cohort (as most comp lit programs are). So since rejections are out, I would assume all decisions have made. That's why I think it's fair to contact the department and/or graduate admissions. But I'm just trying to make inferences based on the data we have, so who knows!

2 hours ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

That would be highly unusual to send out rejections before acceptances, and it would appear that Cornell has not done this the past few years at least. I know that no acceptances have shown up on the results board, but I assume that's just because it's a small cohort (as most comp lit programs are). So since rejections are out, I would assume all decisions have made. That's why I think it's fair to contact the department and/or graduate admissions. But I'm just trying to make inferences based on the data we have, so who knows!

How would you suggest I contact them? A call? Should I ask if the results will be submitted soon? Or if I specifically have been admitted?

1 hour ago, gyeum said:

How would you suggest I contact them? A call? Should I ask if the results will be submitted soon? Or if I specifically have been admitted?

Good question. I'm not really sure what the best approach is. You could either ask when results will be released and if they say they've all been released, then ask about yours. Or you could just saw that you heard rejections had gone out but you hadn't heard anything and wanted to inquire about your status. I feel like either of those are reasonable. (You'll often hear on the boards that you shouldn't inquire about results until later, but I think given that rejections have gone out, it's fair to ask. I've seen stories of people's email getting lost somehow.) Also, have you checked your online application? It could be that you received a result there and the email just didn't go through.

2 hours ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

Good question. I'm not really sure what the best approach is. You could either ask when results will be released and if they say they've all been released, then ask about yours. Or you could just saw that you heard rejections had gone out but you hadn't heard anything and wanted to inquire about your status. I feel like either of those are reasonable. (You'll often hear on the boards that you shouldn't inquire about results until later, but I think given that rejections have gone out, it's fair to ask. I've seen stories of people's email getting lost somehow.) Also, have you checked your online application? It could be that you received a result there and the email just didn't go through.

I decided, at the behest of my boss, to not call them. Seems unnecessary, I'll just wait it out. Nothing seems to have changed on the ApplyWeb website, although I'm not sure what an acceptance or rejection would look like. The website just says "Submitted."

Anyone gonna claim that Princeton acceptance on the boards? Congrats to the lucky person!

1 hour ago, gyeum said:

I decided, at the behest of my boss, to not call them. Seems unnecessary, I'll just wait it out. Nothing seems to have changed on the ApplyWeb website, although I'm not sure what an acceptance or rejection would look like. The website just says "Submitted."

Anyone gonna claim that Princeton acceptance on the boards? Congrats to the lucky person!

I also think that if we were admitted, they would've let us know much earlier. At best it's waitlist but most likely they are just busy and not bothering to send out rejections quickly...

23 minutes ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

Why? There's a second one up now and the timing is right. So unfortunately I think it's probably the real deal. If the last few years are any indication, rejections and waitlists should come out in the next week or so.

Was kidding :) 

There were well-timed coincidences, but I wasn't necessarily seriously serious about the Princeton one being fake. Congrats to the lucky ones.

6 hours ago, steve3020 said:

Got waitlisted at Cornell today! I got rejected from there last year on this very same day (!) so I'm very grateful although it's not an acceptance. 

I called them today and they said they didn't have my name on the list, and that they'd email me shortly, but I haven't heard anything and that call was like, at 10 am today... Still confused.

5 hours ago, gyeum said:

I called them today and they said they didn't have my name on the list, and that they'd email me shortly, but I haven't heard anything and that call was like, at 10 am today... Still confused.

Hey pal you are admitted to Berkeley though ^_^ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 5:56 AM, steve3020 said:

Anyone has any info on when NYU will notify? In the past years they were much quicker.

I've exchanged a few e-mails with them the other day. They say the admission offers go through the GSAS and we may not hear from them till the end of March. No word on whether they've sent a list to the GSAS. 

Also, CUNY said that they've sent out the first round of offers and some rejections, and every applicant who hasn't heard anything yet is in a wait list. 

I e-mailed to Northwestern as well. Though they don't explicitly talk about a wait list, my understanding is that whoever hasn't heard anything from them might still have a chance.

This is the end of my e-mail bombardment story. 

51 minutes ago, The Ister said:

I've exchanged a few e-mails with them the other day. They say the admission offers go through the GSAS and we may not hear from them till the end of March. No word on whether they've sent a list to the GSAS. 

Also, CUNY said that they've sent out the first round of offers and some rejections, and every applicant who hasn't heard anything yet is in a wait list. 

I e-mailed to Northwestern as well. Though they don't explicitly talk about a wait list, my understanding is that whoever hasn't heard anything from them might still have a chance.

Hey Ister, you are the man! The DGS at NYU changed this year so I am thinking perhaps that's why they are notifying so late. It seems strange that there's no rejection on the board for CUNY but anyway that gives me some hope. Thanks!! 

4 hours ago, The Ister said:

So we're not necessarily "implied-rejected" if we haven't heard anything yet?!

On 3/4/2017 at 7:33 AM, steve3020 said:

Hey Ister, you are the man! The DGS at NYU changed this year so I am thinking perhaps that's why they are notifying so late. It seems strange that there's no rejection on the board for CUNY but anyway that gives me some hope. Thanks!! 

Perhaps! It's getting too late to send the first round of acceptances, so I hope to hear something solid from NYU this week. You've applied to Toronto as well, right? Let's keep each other abreast of tidings on these two fronts :) 

On 3/4/2017 at 11:24 AM, Yanaka said:

So we're not necessarily "implied-rejected" if we haven't heard anything yet?!

Yeah! I mean if we were rejected, I don't see why they wouldn't say it directly after I sent an e-mail. I don't know what to feel about CUNY though, but I'm pretty convinced that we still stand a chance at NYU and NW. 

Interesting, @The Ister. I honestly have already counted them out and don't even want to receive their rejection notification, but it would be hilarious if I got in. Ha! Good luck to you :) 

4 hours ago, The Ister said:

Perhaps! It's getting too late to send the first round of acceptances, so I hope to hear something solid from NYU this week. You've applied to Toronto as well, right? Let's keep each other abreast of tidings on these two fronts :) 

Yeh, it's quite late but I still think it's possible. My logic is, I got waitlisted last year, so at least they'll waitlist me again or accept me haha. Yes, I applied there too, I will let you know if I hear anything back. 

50 minutes ago, The Ister said:

I've just got my rejection from NYU. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting to hear from them!

Sorry about that! I haven't got anything from NYU yet but got my CUNY rejection today. Hope NYU don't reject me today :unsure: