URTA MFA acting auditions

Actress89

Hey Actress89. I did not audition for URTA this year, but I did audition for Case Western. I'm sorry you feel it didn't go well... would you like to share your experience? I am really unfamiliar with URTA and only wanted to focus on one school this year per my mentor's suggestion. This is my first year auditioning, period.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:58 PM, HopingForMFA said:

Hey Actress89. I did not audition for URTA this year, but I did audition for Case Western. I'm sorry you feel it didn't go well... would you like to share your experience? I am really unfamiliar with URTA and only wanted to focus on one school this year per my mentor's suggestion. This is my first year auditioning, period.

Great advice from them. Just the whole two min for two monologues. Maybe I am just feeling this way cause I didn't get as many call backs as I hoped. 

On 2/5/2017 at 3:38 PM, GunningForGrad said:

@Actress89 what conservatory and which two programs? I know URTAS are tough. It's easy to have visions of hundreds of callbacks dancing in your head. But much like auditioning and getting cast- you only need one yes at a time!

Portland conservatory, academy of the art, cal state la and institute of contemporary performance. 

13 minutes ago, seizing said:

URTAs were not my favorite. I only signed up last year because it was cheaper to fly to San Fran to audition for UMKC there than to fly to Kansas City. I, too, felt bummed. 

Hey! I saw your post last year when you auditioned for schools. Did you audition this year, seizing? How did they go?! :)

Just now, HopingForMFA said:

Hey! I saw your post last year when you auditioned for schools. Did you audition this year, seizing? How did they go?! :)

Haha not this year. Taking time off to build my resume in some way. I am currently taking improv at Upright Citizens Brigade, which has been SUCH a blast. I also read a draft of a solo show I was developing during my last quarter at UCI to some friends, got some great notes. I might jump in next year for Ohio State, since their program centers around solo work and self generated work. I would still like UMKC though, but they begin auditions at the end of 2018, beginning of 2019. All these rolling admissions give me such a headache :wacko:

1 minute ago, seizing said:

Haha not this year. Taking time off to build my resume in some way. I am currently taking improv at Upright Citizens Brigade, which has been SUCH a blast. I also read a draft of a solo show I was developing during my last quarter at UCI to some friends, got some great notes. I might jump in next year for Ohio State, since their program centers around solo work and self generated work. I would still like UMKC though, but they begin auditions at the end of 2018, beginning of 2019. All these rolling admissions give me such a headache :wacko:

If you're into solo stuff/more performance art based stuff, have you checked out Naropa University? 

2 minutes ago, HopingForMFA said:

If you're into solo stuff/more performance art based stuff, have you checked out Naropa University? 

They seem interesting, but I definitely prefer schools that offer good financial aid/ TA ships as well. That was something I learned about myself when I auditioned for URTAs- places like SCAD weren't interesting to me. I like the prospect of teaching as well. Call me nitpicky, you'd be right.

3 minutes ago, seizing said:

They seem interesting, but I definitely prefer schools that offer good financial aid/ TA ships as well. That was something I learned about myself when I auditioned for URTAs- places like SCAD weren't interesting to me. I like the prospect of teaching as well. Call me nitpicky, you'd be right.

Mind if I PM you to ask more about URTA?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 9:49 PM, seizing said:

URTAs were not my favorite. I only signed up last year because it was cheaper to fly to San Fran to audition for UMKC there than to fly to Kansas City. I, too, felt bummed. 

Same here. One school offered me to apply but that is not a for sure answer. 

Cheap may may seem good but next go around I will apply individually to schools

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2017 at 2:58 PM, HopingForMFA said:

Hey Actress89. I did not audition for URTA this year, but I did audition for Case Western.

Hi HopingForMFA. Are you referring to The Cleveland MFA Program here? I auditioned this year and would love to hear about your experience. It’s also the only school I auditioned for and first attempt at trying for my masters. I took a break after undergrad to work and gain experience, hoping that’s in my favor now. 

Thank you for any and all information!! :)