UC Berkeley MSW Fall 2017

wokebrowngirl

4 hours ago, MarleneM said:

I haven't found a FB group yet. If one hasn't been created yet, I'll start one myself. I'm in the health concentration. Let me know!!

Hi Marlene, my concentration is health as well! A FB page would be great, let me know if you need any help in starting one 

10 hours ago, NKP MSW said:

Hi Marlene, my concentration is health as well! A FB page would be great, let me know if you need any help in starting one 

Great! I'll start by creating a group for all MSW students when I get home tonight. Can't wait to meet you all! :)

Guess what? I found out I got accepted! Mgmt & planning concentration. 

weird part is that everything was coming together at CSUMB. They already gave us family housing 2b/1b, garage,yard for 1310/month. The program staff really communicative. Excited to move there, pictured a new coastal adventure. Invited us to conferences already.

Berkeley is full-time. Has a petition to make it part-time but only if have baby or pregnant. Want to keep my current full-time job. Monterey is part-time program. However I live in East Bay now and wouldn't have to move 2 year old out to new daycare... Berkeley was where I got introduced to SW and where I was always fixated on going. Used to say I would quit my job to go to grad school there but now I have one worth keeping.

how/why did u make your decision in the end? 

Help! :)

On 5/9/2017 at 9:25 AM, MarleneM said:

Never mind. I was able to create it. Please look up UC Berkeley MSW Class of 2019

Awesome, thank you! (Sorry I just saw your message, haven't been on here in a few days!)

On 5/11/2017 at 0:28 AM, meltoid said:

Guess what? I found out I got accepted! Mgmt & planning concentration. 

weird part is that everything was coming together at CSUMB. They already gave us family housing 2b/1b, garage,yard for 1310/month. The program staff really communicative. Excited to move there, pictured a new coastal adventure. Invited us to conferences already.

Berkeley is full-time. Has a petition to make it part-time but only if have baby or pregnant. Want to keep my current full-time job. Monterey is part-time program. However I live in East Bay now and wouldn't have to move 2 year old out to new daycare... Berkeley was where I got introduced to SW and where I was always fixated on going. Used to say I would quit my job to go to grad school there but now I have one worth keeping.

how/why did u make your decision in the end? 

Help! :)

My decision was between UCLA and UC Berkeley. I chose Berkeley for many reasons, but the most important was the support I would have with my kids from family, Berkeley's student parent community, and student parent grant. UCLA has some resources but doesn't compare to Berkeley's. As a mother of two, I know I am going to need a strong support system to get through grad school and make the most out of my experience. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2017 at 10:12 AM, Eve M said:

I accepted SFSU. They have an excellent reputation in the Bay Area. I've been working in the field for over four years now and word of mouth among service providers here is that SFSU is better for those pursuing clinical and direct service tracks and Cal is better for those interested in policy, research and academic tracks. Both are excellent programs (the first and second most competitive MSW programs in the country respectively), I just happen to be more interested in a clinical track and so SFSU was my first choice.

I was also offered a full tuition grant by SFSU this year. Even if I hadn't, the price difference is staggering between Cal and SFSU! I could not wrap my head around paying $28,000 a year for an education that was no better (and possibly inferior given my interests) than an education that is $7,000 a year.

I also applied to Cal State East Bay. This was my third choice after SFSU and Cal. I have heard that they have a pretty good program and a really diverse student population, which I value a lot. The one thing I'll say is that I learned that they are reconfiguring their MSW curriculum starting in 2018/ 2019 school year and I was really put off by the potential upheaval this would cause.

I hope that helps! 

I have learned so much just from this post! I had been waiting anxiously to hear back from SFSU, and it got to the point that I called them last week asking for notification of my admission. They seemed surprised that I hadn't heard anything, and informed me that I scored really high but I'm currently waitlisted. I had no clue the program was so small (25 people!), but the lady I spoke to stated that they tend to "exhaust the waitlist", and I'm one of 70 people on the waitlist. She told me to contact her mid-June for any updates on the waitlist. You wouldn't happen to know anything regarding probabilities of people getting accepted into SFSU from the waitlist?? I got rejected from Cal, and I haven't heard anything from CSU East Bay, so I feel like SF is my only hope! Any info people have heard about the program would be so helpful. 

On May 24, 2017 at 9:47 PM, Southerngrl42 said:

I have learned so much just from this post! I had been waiting anxiously to hear back from SFSU, and it got to the point that I called them last week asking for notification of my admission. They seemed surprised that I hadn't heard anything, and informed me that I scored really high but I'm currently waitlisted. I had no clue the program was so small (25 people!), but the lady I spoke to stated that they tend to "exhaust the waitlist", and I'm one of 70 people on the waitlist. She told me to contact her mid-June for any updates on the waitlist. You wouldn't happen to know anything regarding probabilities of people getting accepted into SFSU from the waitlist?? I got rejected from Cal, and I haven't heard anything from CSU East Bay, so I feel like SF is my only hope! Any info people have heard about the program would be so helpful. 

I don't happen to know that one unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a choice between Cal and a CSU with a great reputation. I received the financial award today and I'm having sticker shock. $50k for one year??!!! I can't be the only person who is second-guessing the cost.

4 hours ago, CruzCali said:

I have a choice between Cal and a CSU with a great reputation. I received the financial award today and I'm having sticker shock. $50k for one year??!!! I can't be the only person who is second-guessing the cost.

nope! the anxiety kicked in right now but I have to focus on a big work project. Wow! you still get to have a choice so far late into the year! lucky! good luck choosing!

• 7 months later...