UC Berkeley MSW Fall 2017

wokebrowngirl

11 hours ago, KaylaJay said:

The nonresident supplemental fee is pretty killer on the wallet as well but... oh well! 

Does anyone who already lives there/is familiar with the area have any recommendations on housing? I'll be moving with my partner and I see that there is family housing but I'm guessing that is more for folks with kids. Housing in the area seems astronomical, unless you go into Oakland which I've heard is very unsafe... 

I stayed at the University Village family housing as an undergrad at Cal. I was married then but I also had friends that were engaged that stayed there and friends that took care of their brothers or sisters. So student families do have priority however, there were people who lived there without kids and without being married. So maybe you can see if this still applies. I loved living in the village it's a nice location, safe area and there is a lot of resources within the apartment community!

I thought it was 11k/year, too... Wow. 14k/semester? Include housing and that's looking like 40k/year. That's insane. How can anyone afford that? I got in and I REALLY want to go, but am having serious anxiety about the cost. Luckily I have no debt from undergrad, but I also have no savings to put toward the MSW program, either. 

On 3/20/2017 at 0:04 PM, MSW BOUND 2017 said:

I called UCB today and they said tuition for the 2017/2018 is 14,068/semester. I was in shock so I called back and waited to speak to someone else to confirm. The next person said that price for tuition was projected and no one will know for sure until July, as fees update each July.

Major sticker shock. Really made me regret not applying for Title IV-E. :unsure:

20 minutes ago, MSW BOUND 2017 said:

Has anyone had any updates from UCB? As in heard from the graduate division or received an official acceptance notification?

I got mine today via email then set up an account for official notice. I'm waiting on financial aid still.... :(

25 minutes ago, Paola said:

I got mine today via email then set up an account for official notice. I'm waiting on financial aid still.... :(

Wow really, I still have not received nothing? I think they start handling financial aid in the summer. It would be nice if they could get it done sooner and give us an idea of what to expect.

I can't believe I just found this forum, I was so stressed waiting to hear back! Congratulations to all those who have been accepted and good luck to those who are on the wait list! I have been accepted to the Direct Practice in Health Services Concentration and received an email today to activate my CalNet ID. Through the portal you can see the graduate division official acceptance notification and your SIR decision.

Is anyone going to the MSW New Admit Reception? 

On 3/16/2017 at 11:29 AM, bayareakid said:

Hi all,

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted, and good luck to all who are still in limbo! I was recently accepted to the MSW Title IV-E program at both UC Berkeley and SF State, and am trying to make a decision. I'm leaning towards SF State at this point because it is so much cheaper (around $8,000/yr vs $22,000/yr for tuition), but I'm wondering if any of you (particularly those of you in direct service, since I know the MAP program is not something offered for most other MSW programs) have strong reasons you would choose Berkeley over another (cheaper) option. 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Congratulations!!! I was wondering what was your interview like for getting into the title-ix program. I applied at SJSU and still waiting to have my interview. Any tips you are willing to offer? Thank you! 

On 3/6/2017 at 5:52 PM, MSW BOUND 2017 said:

I think the interview went okay, it could have went better but I was soo nervous. All the questions were soo straightforward. The caffeine beforehand didn't give me a boost like I thought it had me jittery lol

I really hope you got in! waiting to have my interview. I applied at SJSU. Any tips you would be willing to offer? 

On 3/26/2017 at 0:07 PM, a_then_a said:

I really hope you got in! waiting to have my interview. I applied at SJSU. Any tips you would be willing to offer? 

I did get in? Thanks! Honestly the interview was really straightforward, if you talk about your experience and passion to be a social worker you should be fine. I don't recall all the specific questions they asked, I was soo nervous and caffeinated. However, I reached out to people on this forum and after my interview someone shared with me her experience. If I were to have had this info beforehand it would have really helped me relax. I'll inbox what she sent to me?

Edited by MSW BOUND 2017

On 3/23/2017 at 11:43 PM, NKP MSW said:

Is anyone going to the MSW New Admit Reception? 

I am fairly certain that I am! Was kind of up in the air about it, but I'll be doing a service week in SF the following week anyways so may as well just go up a few days early. 

Anyone else going?

On March 23, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Paola said:

Has anyone heard from SFSU yet?

I got an email with my offer of admission on April 1st. 

Edited by Eve M

21 minutes ago, MarleneM said:

I received an email on Saturday. I got in! 

Are you still considering Berkeley or has your decision changed?

11 minutes ago, Paola said:

Are you still considering Berkeley or has your decision changed?

I'm actually considering UCLA. They might give me all the funding I need for the 2 years! I'm hoping to know for sure this week, but I can't deny it will sting a little to say no to Berkeley. 

13 hours ago, Paola said:

Really?! I haven't gotten anything :/ did anything change on your student central for sfsu?

Yeah. I had the option to accept or decline  the offer under pending applications.

9 hours ago, Eve M said:

Yeah. I had the option to accept or decline  the offer under pending applications.

Congrats! Have you decided of cal or sfsu or another school? 

And if so, may I ask why? I'm still trying to weight out all my own options so any additional things to add to my list would help 

1 hour ago, Paola said:

Congrats! Have you decided of cal or sfsu or another school? 

And if so, may I ask why? I'm still trying to weight out all my own options so any additional things to add to my list would help 

I accepted SFSU. They have an excellent reputation in the Bay Area. I've been working in the field for over four years now and word of mouth among service providers here is that SFSU is better for those pursuing clinical and direct service tracks and Cal is better for those interested in policy, research and academic tracks. Both are excellent programs (the first and second most competitive MSW programs in the country respectively), I just happen to be more interested in a clinical track and so SFSU was my first choice.

I was also offered a full tuition grant by SFSU this year. Even if I hadn't, the price difference is staggering between Cal and SFSU! I could not wrap my head around paying $28,000 a year for an education that was no better (and possibly inferior given my interests) than an education that is $7,000 a year.

I also applied to Cal State East Bay. This was my third choice after SFSU and Cal. I have heard that they have a pretty good program and a really diverse student population, which I value a lot. The one thing I'll say is that I learned that they are reconfiguring their MSW curriculum starting in 2018/ 2019 school year and I was really put off by the potential upheaval this would cause.

I hope that helps! 

On 3/26/2017 at 0:07 PM, a_then_a said:

Hi Athena!! Would  you mind sharing when you heard back from sjsu? 

Thanks and congrats on your interview, i wish you the best :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, MarleneM said:

I haven't found a FB group yet. If one hasn't been created yet, I'll start one myself. I'm in the health concentration. Let me know!!

I just went to start one since no one else has, but to make a group you have to add someone from your friends list and I don't actually know anyone else going to the MSW in the fall