Venting Thread

Just now, anxiousgrad said:

I'm dying for those Penn acceptances to hop on the forums and give us details :unsure:

Sameeeee. I'm expecting we'll have to wait until tomorrow to call it one way or the other

15 minutes ago, zombiekeats said:

Sameeeee. I'm expecting we'll have to wait until tomorrow to call it one way or the other

I have decided to just call it a rejection so that I can sleep tonight. If I'm pleasantly surprised tomorrow, then that will be great.

I was telling my friend earlier that I imagine this is a lot like people who play the lottery waiting to hear the numbers being called. They are not going to win. They know they are not going to win. Yet, they keep buying the tickets and waiting as if they are about to get the news that will change their life.

I'd take an acceptance at Penn over all the money in the world.

5 hours ago, Yanaka said:

You don't get to say what you would have done if!!! :lol:

@acidtooth Yeah. I thought I had different options, but now I don't know anymore! I am thinking about teaching French as foreign language in Chile, doing internships in editing or journalism and then working while I get ready to re-apply again... We'll see...

Ha ha ha! For a bit though, when I was only receiving rejection letters, I was like: Oh god, I don't actually want to have to go through with my backup plan! xD

It wouldn't have been too bad though, I think. Do some teaching, work on my application materials, go swimming in the morning and the gym in the evening. That might have been nice.

23 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

There are a couple up there, and a couple rejections from folks who emailed the DGS...

I must have been on the wrong page, but I could have sworn there were at least four or five acceptances, and now I'm seeing two... oh well

11 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

There are a couple up there, and a couple rejections from folks who emailed the DGS...

I am about to email my POI in Upenn about an discussion on his book...

But now, I am afraid that he will tell me initially:I am sorry...

I mean...It will be awkward if both of us avoid talking about the results...He is the one encouraged me to apply to Upenn and other top programs, but...look how I get rejected by half of them.-_-

Edited by Lovegood

Oh no, an official UC Davis rejection is up :(  I'd basically surmised rejection given the results that have already happened, but I thought it was a good fit & it's where I did my undergrad, so I knew some faculty.  I'd have loved to have gone back!  Sadness, but que sera sera I suppose!

In other news, the work week begins and with it, I'm sure, a host of results -- are y'all ready?! 

54 minutes ago, eliza_winter said:

Oh no, an official UC Davis rejection is up :(  I'd basically surmised rejection given the results that have already happened, but I thought it was a good fit & it's where I did my undergrad, so I knew some faculty.  I'd have loved to have gone back!  Sadness, but que sera sera I suppose!

In other news, the work week begins and with it, I'm sure, a host of results -- are y'all ready?! 

I am with you. I thought it might be an implied rejection...but I haven't received anything from them yet.

Finally got my official Berkeley rejection, which I knew was happening because it was implied. I'm honestly not too upset about that, but I'm getting really tired of waiting for results that I'm like 80% sure will be rejections. I just want to evaluate my options based on one MA acceptance and PhD wait lists and be done with waiting. Waiting is the worst and I want it to be DONE.

11 minutes ago, eadwacer said:

Finally got my official Berkeley rejection, which I knew was happening because it was implied. I'm honestly not too upset about that, but I'm getting really tired of waiting for results that I'm like 80% sure will be rejections. I just want to evaluate my options based on one MA acceptance and PhD wait lists and be done with waiting. Waiting is the worst and I want it to be DONE.

At least you're waiting with an acceptance :D 

2 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Ordering a book that is "delivered" but isn't on the porch. Either USPS lost it or somebody stole it from the porch. I need that book for my class.

That happened to me when I had a backpack delivered to my dad's, someone stole it from his doorstep (and the delivery guy shouldn't have left it there). But it's not even half as bad as not having a book you need for a class. I hope you'll find a solution :( 

10 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

That happened to me when I had a backpack delivered to my dad's, someone stole it from his doorstep (and the delivery guy shouldn't have left it there). But it's not even half as bad as not having a book you need for a class. I hope you'll find a solution :( 

I've never understood why people steal. I've contacted USPS to see if they can figure out exactly where it was last checked in. I'm not sure if they could do anything but I'd rather not spend another $30 on the book.

1 minute ago, Warelin said:

I've never understood why people steal. I've contacted USPS to see if they can figure out exactly where it was last checked in. I'm not sure if they could do anything but I'd rather not spend another $30 on the book.

Herschel sent another bag for "free". Hopefully, you can work something out too!

Dear Toronto, 

Please send me an acceptance. It would make my life. And if it's not too much trouble, please send said acceptance notification sooner rather than later. My spirit is a bit broken from a week of 6+ rejections and implied rejections, and I am really anxious to stop WAITING on everyone. I would be most grateful for any assistance in this matter, especially of the fully-fundeded-and-awarded-all-of-the-awards type. 

Thank you. Avalanched. 

*grumble* 

1 hour ago, Avalanched said:

Dear Toronto, 

Please send me an acceptance. It would make my life. And if it's not too much trouble, please send said acceptance notification sooner rather than later. My spirit is a bit broken from a week of 6+ rejections and implied rejections, and I am really anxious to stop WAITING on everyone. I would be most grateful for any assistance in this matter, especially of the fully-fundeded-and-awarded-all-of-the-awards type. 

Thank you. Avalanched. 

*grumble* 

I mentioned this earlier in another thread, but I've been in contact with the grad admin at UofT and they said that they'll send out their first acceptances sometime next week. They didn't specify which day exactly but the range was Monday, Feb 27th to Friday, Mar 3rd (or soon thereafter). Hope that helps alleviate some anxiety!

The University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee not only sent me a rejection letter addressed to the wrong person (I had to call them and found out I'm still rejected) now they've mailed me another letter (this one is correctly addressed) telling me why my application was rejected. However, rather than being helpful, it just said that I met all the criteria--just that they did not think they had a faculty member to fit with my research. I was pretty sure there were three that I could work with. Oh well...I mean...telling me why I was rejected is, in theory, a nice gesture at least.

5 minutes ago, Silabus said:

The University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee not only sent me a rejection letter addressed to the wrong person (I had to call them and found out I'm still rejected) now they've mailed me another letter (this one is correctly addressed) telling me why my application was rejected. However, rather than being helpful, it just said that I met all the criteria--just that they did not think they had a faculty member to fit with my research. I was pretty sure there were three that I could work with. Oh well...I mean...telling me why I was rejected is, in theory, a nice gesture at least.

Sorry to hear about this bit of carelessness. Maybe they were trying to tell you that they have faculty with similar interests, but none who have the time/resources to invest in you this cycle. We often don't know from our side how many people a professor is supervising, or whether they're busy with their own research, or even about to take a sabbatical. Either way, I'm sorry for your disappointment, and they could have been more attentive, for sure.

Also that single rejection posted by someone, with no other information, about Brandeis, is driving me crazy. I have no emails from them. What does this mean? Acceptance? Rejection tomorrow? Waitlist? I need to know! I really, really, really, want to work with John Plotz. Ugh!

2 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Sorry to hear about this bit of carelessness. Maybe they were trying to tell you that they have faculty with similar interests, but none who have the time/resources to invest in you this cycle. We often don't know from our side how many people a professor is supervising, or whether they're busy with their own research, or even about to take a sabbatical. Either way, I'm sorry for your disappointment, and they could have been more attentive, for sure.

This is true! It could be a number of things. I guess I should point out my office mate applied there as well, she's interested in different areas from me, and she got the exact same letter. Who knows.

5 hours ago, Avalanched said:

Dear Toronto, 

Thank you. Avalanched. 

*grumble* 

Ah, me too. MA or PhD? Maybe I'll see you there (*crosses fingers for the both of us*)

3 hours ago, ThePomoHipster said:

I mentioned this earlier in another thread, but I've been in contact with the grad admin at UofT and they said that they'll send out their first acceptances sometime next week. They didn't specify which day exactly but the range was Monday, Feb 27th to Friday, Mar 3rd (or soon thereafter). Hope that helps alleviate some anxiety!

Do you know if this is for all English programs, or just MA? Regardless, exciting stuff!