UIUC v. Purdue v. Maryland (Photonics)

This is a tad premature seeing as I have not been accepted to Maryland yet, but I am curious if I am missing something here. 

My research over the last couple of years has focused on developing components for integrated plasmonic devices. I hope to stay in this field or closely related fields in graduate school (integrated photonics/quantum optics).

I am fortunate enough to have been accepted to Purdue (fellowship) and UIUC (RA). I am seriously considering only one other school - the University of Maryland. So here's my question - UIUC unquestionably has a better reputation than the other schools in general, but it seems like a really weak choice for my interests. Aside from Kwait at UIUC, no one else seems to have a group churning out research on the level (as measured by the imperfect Google Scholar h-index) of Shalaev/Boltasseva/Bermel/Weiner/Qi or Waks/Hafezi/Munday/Murphy. Plus, Purdue comes with all the resources behind its Purdue Quantum Center and Maryland has the Joint Quantum Institute. I am open to an academic career but I am by no means gunning for it. 

UIUC is the odd man out, right? It sounds stupid when I say it out loud, but I think this is right. This is obviously a different calculation if I was biased toward electronic devices/semiconductors.

Any advice will be appreciated.

- Entangled 

Congrats on UIUC :P

I also applied to Purdue and cited Prof. Shalaev and Prof. Boltasseva's incredible research. Perhaps Purdue is stronger in your particular field of interest? (I'm not sure)

I believe that Purdue's visit days are coming up. Perhaps the most important thing is to meet advisors of interest AND their students. If you don't fit in well with your advisor and his students, then you're in for a rough time.

BTW, I'm assuming you're pursuing a PhD?

3 hours ago, abcde12345 said:

Congrats on UIUC :P

I also applied to Purdue and cited Prof. Shalaev and Prof. Boltasseva's incredible research. Perhaps Purdue is stronger in your particular field of interest? (I'm not sure)

I believe that Purdue's visit days are coming up. Perhaps the most important thing is to meet advisors of interest AND their students. If you don't fit in well with your advisor and his students, then you're in for a rough time.

BTW, I'm assuming you're pursuing a PhD?

Yep, PhD.

Don't count UIUC out yet. I still don't have the official letter. It sounded like MS applicants and UIUC undergrads get the official notification quickly.

I've already talked to a couple of Shalaev's and Boltasseva's recent graduates. Will be happy to PM you what I gleaned from the convoys. Also, they have some good YouTube videos for each topic of their research.

I see we had the same luck at Princeton. You too have a sub-5.0 writing score ? or was there not much of a fit with the department?

Edited by EntangledPhantoms

3 hours ago, racecar1 said:

Nick Holonyak at UIUC did invent the LED and I believe still does research in LEDs/Lasers/etc. Not sure if that exactly lines up with what you're looking for but might be something worth digging into. 

I believe he is truly retired now. Dallesasse seems to be taking the handoff from him.

Some non-academic information about UIUC is that outside of the university, social scenes and almost anything to do are far and in between. If you come to UIUC, you're life will be school, because there's simply nothing else but corn fields and a couple of microbreweries. Also, if you have a significant other, that's definitely something to keep in mind. Job opportunities and chances at making friends are hard if you're not a student. 

22 hours ago, rheya19 said:

Some non-academic information about UIUC is that outside of the university, social scenes and almost anything to do are far and in between. If you come to UIUC, you're life will be school, because there's simply nothing else but corn fields and a couple of microbreweries. Also, if you have a significant other, that's definitely something to keep in mind. Job opportunities and chances at making friends are hard if you're not a student. 

Appreciate the warning. SO and I went to UG in middle of nowhere schools and found a way to find enough things to keep us happy. Plus, I've gotten sick of big city life right now so I'm looking forward to leaving for the next few years. 

4 hours ago, Entangled Phantoms said:

Appreciate the warning. SO and I went to UG in middle of nowhere schools and found a way to find enough things to keep us happy. Plus, I've gotten sick of big city life right now so I'm looking forward to leaving for the next few years. 

Good to hear. I have found central Illinois to be a challenging location. It's not only the lack of things to do. The local people are nice but weirdly standoffish, whereas most other places in the country where I've lived, people tend to be more engaging and warm. After 3 1/2 years here (my husband is doing his PhD), I've met a lot of people, but only made a couple of good friends. I'm really ready to go, so I'm starting my PhD before husband is done so I can get out a little sooner.