Calling All Computer Science 2010 Applicants!

explorer-c

Greetings, all. This is my second year applying for CS Ph.D., after going 0 for 7 last admission season. (I tried to log in with my old account information, but it claimed that the password was wrong. Oh well.) I'm an American applicant hoping to specialize in A.I.

Happy to report I've received 2 acceptances with funding thus far, from Maryland and Vanderbilt. :)

Also, to the person on the results search who asked the people who received an acceptance notification if the status changed on Maryland's website, mine still says "Pending Decision" if I log into my application so you may still have hope. :)

Congratulation on the acceptances. I applied to UMD College Park and yet to hear from them. Not sure if this delay means a rejection. :( The status check just says " Forwarded for review etc etc"

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings, all. This is my second year applying for CS Ph.D., after going 0 for 7 last admission season. (I tried to log in with my old account information, but it claimed that the password was wrong. Oh well.) I'm an American applicant hoping to specialize in A.I.

Happy to report I've received 2 acceptances with funding thus far, from Maryland and Vanderbilt. :)

Also, to the person on the results search who asked the people who received an acceptance notification if the status changed on Maryland's website, mine still says "Pending Decision" if I log into my application so you may still have hope. :)

Btw, when did you receive your acceptance notification? And by email or official paper letter?

I applied to CS PhD in AI. I was contacted by a prof., and got my acceptance during the first "wave" of admits (2/9). Got full funding, but that's about all I know. The admit weekend is March 5 - 7.

Congratulations. I haven't received any notifications yet - my status is still applied. I read somewhere else that UMass gives rolling admissions. Anyways, I'm not sure what to expect so not hoping much.

Btw, when did you receive your acceptance notification? And by email or official paper letter?

I got my UMD College Park acceptance letter via email today. :) Even my app status pending. Still waiting for the other places to respond though I don't have any hopes for CMU atleast since the HCII decisions have already been sent out. :(

I got my UMD College Park acceptance letter via email today. :) Even my app status pending. Still waiting for the other places to respond though I don't have any hopes for CMU atleast since the HCII decisions have already been sent out. :(

Oh, now I feel dumb. I didn't even notice that was you responding to your own post. I guess I should read the usernames. Congratulations!

Yeah I haven't heard from CMU yet either, and assume when I do it won't be anything good. Still, I'm happy with what I've got. 2 acceptances are better than last year's 0.

Anyone got admits from CMU Ph.D. in Computer Science/Neural Basis of Cognition program? Is there a separate admits for this program or just whoever get admits to CS goes automatically into this?

I saw somebody posted UT Austin CS done sending out PhD decisions for 90 lucky souls and waiting to fill 30 seats?

Any TAMU or Rice PhD admits? are they done or still processing? UT, Rice and TAMU gonna be my last chance for a decent admits.......?

To guys who got admit --- Congrats!

I wanted to know if CMU has finished its selection. I had applied fro ML dept and I am yet to hear from them. Initially I thought it may be due to some delay in my package, but as Mar 1 approaches I am getting jittery. Anyone else who is yet to hear from CMU ML?

To guys who got admit --- Congrats!

I wanted to know if CMU has finished its selection. I had applied fro ML dept and I am yet to hear from them. Initially I thought it may be due to some delay in my package, but as Mar 1 approaches I am getting jittery. Anyone else who is yet to hear from CMU ML?

I also haven't heard from the ML program yet. The results suggest that at least one person here got accepted several weeks ago, so I'm assuming that it's a bad sign. I'm visiting Pittsburgh Wednesday until Sunday though since I was accepted to the LTI Masters program, so I'm hoping they don't reject me before I can talk to some joint LTI/MLD faculty in person :)

I also haven't heard from the ML program yet. The results suggest that at least one person here got accepted several weeks ago, so I'm assuming that it's a bad sign. I'm visiting Pittsburgh Wednesday until Sunday though since I was accepted to the LTI Masters program, so I'm hoping they don't reject me before I can talk to some joint LTI/MLD faculty in person :)

All d best to you! In either case we'll know by this weekend.

I got into the CMU RI MSc program but I didn't hear from any visit days. Maybe it's because I'm in Europe.

For the RI PhD, the visit days are March 20 - 22. I'm not sure if this extends to the MSc program, but there is a section in my info packet titled "International Students", stating "The Robotics Institute will pay a maximum of $800 for your plane ticket." Might want to contact the dept. and see if this stipend/admit week applies to you.

Best luck, and congrats!

Is it normal for international applicants to get results later? :unsure:

My boyfriend is international and he has received results, both positive and negative, from everywhere he has applied (besides two that seem to have released no results as of yet according to the results search here). That said, he didn't apply to any of the places that you did...they might be later?

One thing for you...and everyone else. Turns out that one of the schools who would really very much like to have him didn't receive his transcript. This only came to light when the prof trying to admit him pushed the graduate office and they admitted they didn't have it...thus my boyfriend didn't get the official notice of the missing transcript until after he had been informally admitted by the department, offered money and so on. He was lucky to be so desired that the prof hunted up the problem, but one wonders how many other transcripts go missing without anyone being notified. It is worth saying that his transcript was marked as 'received' online when it wasnt.

Anyhow, moral of the story is that if you have heard nothing and you suspect something may be wrong it might be worth confirming that the school received everything that they should have. Boyfriend mailed another transcript (from the UK) that day and that school rejected him...what if they did so because the transcript never arrived?