UW-Madison phd admission without funding

deptbios

I applied biostatistics phd at UW-Madison. and I just recieved official letter from UW-Madison. But, they indicated the admission without any funding... is it possible?? As we all know, application in UW biostat is managed by department of statistics. Should I ask the department of biostatistics about funding? 

UW-Madison is the top university I want... Could you help me as an advice?

Unfortunately, it is possible. If you look at the results search the past couple of years, a few people posted that their admission to UW Madison was without funding. In my opinion, this seems to be a recurring theme.

Did the email state outright that you will not be funded? Or was funding simply not mentioned?

If you check the admission profile for UW-Madison's stat department, you will find that for the past few years there were around 250 applicants. They admitted about 80 each year, while only less than a quarter of them will enroll.

https://www.gradsch.wisc.edu/webextras/education/academicprograms/profiles/949PHD.pdf

So I guess it is quite common for them to send offers without funding?

Edited by chisquare