Asking for Admission Extension

Lysdexia

Hi everyone!  I was accepted last week into BU's MTS program at the School of Theology.  I am beyond excited and know this school is a great fit for me  - however, like every other student applying for grad programs, I applied to HDS as well.  According to GC and Google info, they don't release their admissions until March 15-16, which is a week after my acceptance deadline for BU.  I asked my current professor if I should accept the offer - he suggested i accept BU and later reject if I get into HDS, but I feel that asking for an extension would be better since I would still possibly want to take classes at BU through the institute. 

How would I ask for an extension without sounding like it's not my top pick?  I would be very happy at BU so it is a top pick for me, but I don't want to put all my eggs in a basket before I hear back from HDS.  I want to make sure I make the best pick financially and long term. 

Thanks!

Just tell them the truth, they've had this happen before and understand. I had to do the same thing when Union wanted me to accept their M.Div offer by Feb. 28 or so back in 2014.

Something to the effect of, "I greatly appreciate your offer of acceptance. BU is an amazing school and is a great fit for me. That said, surely you can understand that not all schools have notified yet. As such, I kindly ask for an additional few weeks so that I may mull over potential offers and take into full account their accompanying financial aid offers, as you understand that affordability is a prime concern."

Tweak it to your situation but keep it short and simple.

I did this same think for Princeton Seminary, which requested an earlier decision than other schools I applied too. I even had the deadline pushed back multiple times! As xpathos said, schools know this will be the case so don't worry about it. Be sure to be clear that you are seriously considering BU and not that its just your safety. You've been admitted, they're not gonna take that back.

On 2/23/2017 at 11:12 AM, Kld89! said:

Hi! So I was just admitted to BU and waiting to hear from HDS... what program did you apply to? I have until April 15th for BU, maybe there is wiggle room. 

I applied to the School of Theology for MTS New Testament and Early Christianity.  I asked for an extension and it's pushed until the 15th now as well too - did you apply to GRDS or SoT?  They sent in my application for merit review as well, so should have an update this week.  Here's hoping. 

What about you?  What program did you apply?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, so I actually applied to the MA IR-Religion track at BU. It's language/ policy focused along with studying Islam. 

Still waiting on MTS, a little stressed but trying to keep it together at work haha. 

Good luck!