Question

Hi everyone. I am currently in the final semester of my masters in education and have come to the conclusion that I would like to continue my education and pursue a PhD. I am currently completing a degree in Social Studies education, and would like to also pursue my PhD in that same field of study. My current program has led me to read a lot of academic work, and one such author resonated with me each time I read his work. After a quick search of his name in a bout of curiosity, it turns out he is the program director/doctoral advisor for a Social Studies Education program. The schools website, under the tab of Curriculum Studies and Teacher Education in History and the Social Sciences, states the following: 

"There are no formal prerequisites for admission to the program in History/Social Science Education. Experience in teaching history/social science is an asset and provides a useful entry point to many of these questions. But more important than any set of prior experiences is a boundless curiosity to understand how the past shapes understanding in the present and how we can learn more about designing effective educational programs. Candidates interested in this concentration should get in touch with [professor] at [professors email]." 

I do not have any teaching experience, yet, but since I have yet to take the GRE and haven't applied for the 2017 year, I will have a gap year in between my masters and potential doctoral programs in which I plan to receive teaching offers. My question is, what exactly, and how exactly, to say to the professor when contacting him? I am fairly certain of what I would like to research, and reading plenty of his work, am sure it aligns well with his ideology. 

Edited by exitiumax

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet