Medical marijuana use as a PhD holder?

GradGirl90

This is a question I am trying to get legitimate, non judgment answers to. I'm not trying to debate anything. I just want kind, honest opinions. 

I have two medical conditions that qualified me for medical marijuana in the last state I lived in. It really helped me when I needed it (for the severe migraines especially). I've tried several medications from my doctors, but they did not help me. Now that I am looking into getting a PhD in criminal justice/criminology (yes, ironic, isn't it?) I'm wondering what percentage of college professors and researchers ever use marijuana. What do you think would be the likelihood of a PhD holder getting drug tested, (assuming they are not licensed in the medical field or something similar). I am by no means letting this impact my decision of applying for PhD programs, but it would be a comfort for me to know that if i once again obtained a medical card, I could use it and not worry a ton about my job. I am aware if I was a researcher for any major government departments I'd likely be drug tested initially. But what about professors? 

Thank you all! 

Thought this was a silly question until I saw you were going into criminal justice. I wouldn't have made it past day one if that was the case during my mfa. (I'm actually only a light smoker, or vaporer, but my natural demeanor is on the stoney side).  And I imagine the % across all fields of profs and candidates is going to be higher than your national average. I've also never heard of a candidate or a professor getting a drug test. I guess it could happen if they were trying void your tenure or kick you out of the program, but again never heard of it. My 2 cents: it's likely not going to be a problem unless you plan to work at the federal level, but discretion isn't a bad idea either since there's usually a lot politics and politicking on college campuses and just in academia in general since there's only so much money and positions to go around. 

using marijuana should not be a crime. I don't use it, but I somewhat understand its potential medical benefits and the threat it poses to drug companies trying to make a buck. the us justice system is retarded like that, and in other ways as well, making the tax payers pay for their own demise. 

So I actually did get drug tested as a grad student, but this was under a unique set of circumstances. I'm getting my PhD at a medical school, and we were recently bought by a local hospital. During the transition we were onboarded like employees, including having to take a drug test. I didn't get tested when I first started school and i don't think they make incoming students do it now, but it did happen.

One thing you do have to seriously consider though is that while you probably won't get drug tested for grad school, you likely will for most jobs and internships in your chosen field. Note, I think the marijuana being illegal is stupid, but if the state you move to has not legalized medical marijuana you may have some problems.

Almost unheard of for a university to drug test grad student. Another poster gave a good example of a rare circumstance but that wasn't the school really.

Maybe a bit less in your field but you'd be surprised how many profs smoke occasionally. Somewhat hush hush but just go to the events where the profs have a few drinks with the grads and eventually it'll come up as people loosen.

9 hours ago, Azl0022 said:

Maybe a bit less in your field but you'd be surprised how many profs smoke occasionally. Somewhat hush hush but just go to the events where the profs have a few drinks with the grads and eventually it'll come up as people loosen.

Exactly.

You will definitely be tested in most CJ fields (any government job, security jobs, etc.), but if you're going into academia I doubt it would be an issue. However, if you have a medical marijuana card your name is on a list, so potential employers might have access to that (at least, that's how it works here in Mass). 

What state are you in? I think it depends a lot on state laws. I live in a state where recreational use has been legalized, so I don't know much about enforcement in other states. Even before it was legal here, everyone smoked, often in the open.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all of the replies.

@maelia8 I am currently in GA but i have no idea where i will end up doing my PhD.

@akraticfanatic Yes, i totally agree and understand that if i am doing government work i will be drug tested. No question there. I was mostly wondering about academia because i really had never heard of grad students or professors being drug tested.