Need scholarship and acceptance advice!

So I was accepted to Boston University today, which is my top choice, but with no mention of a scholarship. I see on the results page others have been offered scholarships with their admission. I also was accepted to George Washington University with a $42,000 scholarship. I would much rather attend BU, but cannot without some funding. A few people recommended (politely) using the scholarship from GW school as leverage for receiving funding at other schools. Anyone heard of this actually being a thing? If so, what's the best way of doing it? Thanks for the help! 

I've never heard of negotiating with grad schools and to be honest I wouldn't attempt it in this field. In other fields that may be common, but SLP is so competitive that I would be too scared of an admissions board taking away my offer and giving it to someone else.

Edited by K8eCastle

1 minute ago, K8eCastle said:

I've never heard of negotiating a scholarship and to be honest I wouldn't attempt it in this field. In other fields that may be common, but SLP is so competitive that I would be too scared of an admissions board taking away my offer and giving it to someone else.

That's a good point. I guess what I'm saying is, without funding, I would not accept this school, so maybe worth a shot...? Not sure :/ 

1 minute ago, joyannna said:

That's a good point. I guess what I'm saying is, without funding, I would not accept this school, so maybe worth a shot...? Not sure :/ 

You can do it if you really think it will help, but I don't think they will care. This may sound harsh, but you're way more desperate than they are. They have a waiting list of people who will willingly attend without funding, so why would they take the time (and the money) to give you a better offer?

3 minutes ago, K8eCastle said:

You can do it if you really think it will help, but I don't think they will care. This may sound harsh, but you're way more desperate than they are. They have a waiting list of people who will willingly attend without funding, so why would they take the time (and the money) to give you a better offer?

Yeah, that was my line of thinking too. I'm not too worried about it though! I'm just happy to be able to go somewhere :) 

I would go talk to them and ask in person about funding. I think showing that you are motivated, professional, and able to make a genuine personal connection can go a long way. 

1 hour ago, joyannna said:

So I was accepted to Boston University today, which is my top choice, but with no mention of a scholarship. I see on the results page others have been offered scholarships with their admission. I also was accepted to George Washington University with a $42,000 scholarship. I would much rather attend BU, but cannot without some funding. A few people recommended (politely) using the scholarship from GW school as leverage for receiving funding at other schools. Anyone heard of this actually being a thing? If so, what's the best way of doing it? Thanks for the help! 

I disagree, I do not think you will lose any chance of being admitted... I think you would have to do a lot more than that for them to take back an offer. I am not sure how frequent this happens in this field, but I know it is common to contact your top choice about funding in other fields. As long as you are tactful I think it is fine. They understand that funding is very important in your decision, and may be motivated to offer you something if you express they are your first choice. I only have one example, but my ex did this for law school and was not offered any extra funding. However, another law student suggested he try because he had done the same and the program matched the scholarship he was offered from another program.

I think this sums it up well (I just found it on a random website):

"2. Be prepared to do some good-faith negotiating on the financial aid offers you receive. I saw a number of admitted students do this the wrong way. They would contact me, and say, "I've just received your financial aid offer. Another school has offered me twice as much — will you match or exceed that amount?" This is not the way to handle things.

You can negotiate offers by contacting the person who signed your admission letter. Start by thanking him or her for admitting you and for the generous financial aid the school has already offered. This is such a simple gesture, but it goes a long way. Let them know you are considering some other options — which they expect — but do not indicate how much you have been offered elsewhere unless you are asked.

Finally, ask if the school has a policy that enables staff to re-evaluate a financial aid package. The answer to this question will most likely be yes. Then ask, "Would you consider re-evaluating my offer, and can I provide any information to assist with that?"

Your request may not result in additional funding, but it will be met with a much more positive response about re-evaluating your award."

I would say that you should contact the admission director and just really explain the situation and how its your first choice school and you need funding etc. Also btw that is a great scholarship from GWU, I think they only offer a few of those, even though its a crazy expensive school. You have until April though to contact someone, I would defiantly not play the schools against each other, it comes off as tacky. I think mentioning funding from other schools though could be reasonable in your explanation for why you are drawn to other programs, approach it with more tact. 

I would post in another forum -maybe a general one for ideas.  I do think it's common to negotiate financial aid offers.  This reminds me of the linguistic differences between men and women -women are more likely to accept the first offer.  I actually think learning how to have these conversations will be a good skill for negotiating salary.  Is there someone who can mentor you in this area?  Otherwise, I would consider reading some articles about salary negotiations.  If you can't go without funding you have nothing to lose.  I'm not sure if it's better to call / email -I would probably start with the financial aid office/graduate admissions with your questions -gather as much info as you can -if they say it's up to the department then I would I would try to talk with the department on 1. why you think Boston is a great fit -you have a lot to offer and you know that Boston is the best place for your skill set. 

• 1 year later...

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd bump it back up because I have the same question. Did anyone have luck trying to negotiate scholarships? Is this something that you should do via email or on the phone? Would it be frowned upon to bring up another scholarship offer? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! 

Edited by mlr