Moving out of parents' place in the same city

Adelaide9216

Hello,

I am considering moving out of my mom's place. I've never lived on my own. But I feel like I will not be able to do my MSW properly with four younger siblings in the same home + I feel like I need to learn how to become a real adult by having full responsability for 100% of my expenses (my mother was not paying much for me anyways, but it's definetly a good thing that she's paying for the rent, and the internet, and the heating and that kind of stuff). Also, I am guaranteed a research assistant job from this summer till the end of my MSW. I've also applied to multiple scholarships, I usually get one or two every year. I am considering moving out in the same city, in the university residences. Any advice for me because I make my final choice? Is it worth it? My biggest fear is not being able to manage a budget. Is it true, for Quebec residents, that you get more loans and bursaries when you're a graduate students?

Thanks

53 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

(my mother was not paying much for me anyways, but it's definetly a good thing that she's paying for the rent, and the internet, and the heating and that kind of stuff). 

Sorry, I just had to laugh at this one... she's not covering much.. just all of (what would be) your largest expenses. Also takes all the responsibility to make sure everything is paid on time, I assume. 

I can't help with the Quebec-specific question, but moving out to the dorm would be a good first step toward independence. It's still not quite all the way out there, but still, it'll help with some guided first steps into being an adult, and that's important. If you can afford it, I'd say go for it.*

*Note: *if you can afford it* means if you are *sure* that you will have sufficient funding, not "I usually get XYZ" which is no guarantee of any kind.  

I also can't answer the Quebec question but I can try to help with the other question! I think the first step is to create a budget. Use an excel spreadsheet and watch youtube videos! That way you can actually see how much it would cost and if you can afford. Look at rent prices, grocery bills, etc.

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Look at rent prices, grocery bills, etc.

Also, heating, because Quebec can get cold! If heating is not part of the rent, it could easily be several hundred dollars in the winter months. And transportation, tuition and books, phone, transportation, medical expenses, clothing and other one-time expenses. But yes, the idea of creating a budget is a great one! 

On 8 mars 2017 at 8:25 PM, soapaddict said:

Haha my mother isnt paying for anything...im in a masters program i'm a youth lol so be grateful

I am grateful. It's precisely because I am grateful that I am considering moving out...