School Visits?

kmp34

Schools will be more than happy to tell you about this as admission offers go out, but here's the general scoop. Visits are not on the weekend - that way you can meet with faculty, attend classes, etc. Stipends are provided for airfare and accomodation with current grad students. Visiting weekends will be in March and early April.

Any idea when schools host admits? Mid-March? April? Also I'm assuming these events are usually on the weekend right?

Are stipends provided for airfare/hotel?

Thanks for any info you can pass this way :)

Not every school has a typical visit day, however. Some will allow you to schedule during a time that's good for you, typically a weekday.

Most will provide some type of stipend, although you will likely have to submit your receipts and wait to receive reimbursement.

Travel/recruitment funds may be more limited this year due to the budget situations at most universities and in most departments. And actually, I think I went on a visit in late Feb back when I applied because I'd already been admitted. March is definitely more typical, and April is a bit late since it's really close to when you have to make a decision. Fridays are usually good social days for being around but bad for attending class so try to do a Thursday/Friday if you want to sit on a seminar.

Someone on the results page (in another field) said they gave a little more for people who had to come in from overseas; anyone know if that's the norm? I'm a rather large ocean away...

I would like to know this too...

Hah, a return ticket for me would cost $1000. I do not think they would be willing to fund that. But if they actually were willing to do so, that is awesome.

Maybe all schools that accept one individual should chip in for the across-the-atlantic tickets. :)

Used to be Stanford and Berkeley (for example) coordinated on the visit to make this sort of thing happen. Whether they still do I don't know.

Hah, a return ticket for me would cost $1000. I do not think they would be willing to fund that. But if they actually were willing to do so, that is awesome.

Maybe all schools that accept one individual should chip in for the across-the-atlantic tickets. :)

Used to be Stanford and Berkeley (for example) coordinated on the visit to make this sort of thing happen. Whether they still do I don't know.

I am from central Europe; and Stanford is paying me 600 dollars towards the travelling costs. This almost, but not completely, covered the cost of the return flight.

What happens if you can't go?! :(

Im worried cause I've already booked something else at that same period..

I share the same worry... I wouldn't be able to attend most weekends in March. I am from Europe and I cant really fly back and forth every weekend. That assumes that I get more than one offer, of course. sad.gif

I share the same worry... I wouldn't be able to attend most weekends in March. I am from Europe and I cant really fly back and forth every weekend. That assumes that I get more than one offer, of course. sad.gif

Dude, someone's gotta say it... Your one offer at this point is to a #1 program, one for which a lot of folks here would commit some serious felonies. Turn that :( upside-down.

Also, I would assume that a number of schools would accommodate you on dates other than their official admitted students days. Perhaps you could contact the graduate coordinators at those places in which you have interest and see if they couldn't fly you from School A to School B. I'm sure they'd be more than willing, since it'd be cheaper for them than flying you all the way from Europe and would likely result in your considering the school more carefully.

I hate to repeat a question, but I don't think it has been fully answered. What does happen if you can't make a school visit? I assume/hope you only miss the ability to become better acquainted with the department, area, etc.?

Nothing more happens than (1) you lose the chance to meet faculty, students, and see the area, and (2) you lose the chance to do any in-person negotiation about funding, housing, etc.

I accepted an offer at a school I never visited and suffered no repercussions.

I hate to repeat a question, but I don't think it has been fully answered. What does happen if you can't make a school visit? I assume/hope you only miss the ability to become better acquainted with the department, area, etc.?