MS in Robotics in Umich and CMU

RobGood

I am incredibly excited to have been offered admission at CMU and Univerisity of Michigan for both MS in Robotics.

My education background is BS in ME at Umich. I am an international student holding an F1 visa. I have many research experience in control. In my graduate school, I would like to incline my research interest towards control by using machine learning/ artificial intelligence. This means I would like to have some transition from ME towards CS, and this is also one of the reasons why I applied for the Robotics program.

After graduation, I don't know yet whether I want to continue for Ph.D. but I do know that I don't want a programming job. 

Some of my considerations (I do not care about the cost or funding issues):

• Ranking (in terms of robotics, especially in the field of control or AI)
  • Location: Pittsburgh vs Ann Arbor - Which one has more job/internship opportunities? Especially for a foreign student.
  • Research opportunity
  • Quality of graduate school

I would like to thank you for any comments.

Almost in an identical situation, I have applied to mechanical programs with robotics concentration. CMU RI provides excellent opportunities in the field of robotics, I am sure you already know that. I know for a fact that MS Robotics has more research involved in the second year as compared to other programmes offered by Robotics Institute (think MSCV, MSHCI, MSRSD etc) having spoken to some graduate students there. Also for job/intern opportunities, atleast 200 people applying for same positions(you should have something unique to attract employer attention). A lot of people intern at the local startups, however they won't sponsor H1B visa in case you want to work there for a long time.

Having said that, MS Robotics is highly selective and is one of the best programme offered at CMU. Congratulations on your acceptance!

5 hours ago, cocomomo said:

Almost in an identical situation, I have applied to mechanical programs with robotics concentration. CMU RI provides excellent opportunities in the field of robotics, I am sure you already know that. I know for a fact that MS Robotics has more research involved in the second year as compared to other programmes offered by Robotics Institute (think MSCV, MSHCI, MSRSD etc) having spoken to some graduate students there. Also for job/intern opportunities, atleast 200 people applying for same positions(you should have something unique to attract employer attention). A lot of people intern at the local startups, however they won't sponsor H1B visa in case you want to work there for a long time.

Having said that, MS Robotics is highly selective and is one of the best programme offered at CMU. Congratulations on your acceptance!

Thanks for your opinion! It helps. Any other thoughts?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...