I am reaching out to seek advice on two offers I have. I am an international student and had applied for mechanical engineering grad programs. My options are: 1. UCSD PhD admit (unfunded). 2. UW Seattle, MS (No funding). I'm bit inclined towards working in Industry post-grad. I am weighing my options between schools as follows:
1. Better located for jobs in Mechanical Engineering (not too sure about this)
2. Program is better ranked than UW (acc. US news, not much difference)
3. Might have better chances of getting funding though TA as it is a bigger school (from my little interation with students from the dept.)
1. The PhD offer at UCSD is unfunded and it's risky to commit to the program without proper idea about funding. (graduating with MS is an option but not sure how that'll reflect. Also would it seem odd if a PhD student is seeking TA/RA with prof other than assigned faculty?). On the other hand, UW offer is MS, so in the worst case I'll have to fund myself for max 4-6 quarters and I would prefer doing an MS and then decide about continuing with the PhD.
2. Having spent some time at UW for an internship during undergrad, I know it'll be much easier to fit in. I liked the campus and vibe around the Seattle in general. UCSD is totally new to me.
3. UCSD tuition and living might be a bit costlier than at UW.
4. From my interaction with a few students, UW has better flexibility of choosing electives from other departments like CS. (dont know how it is at UCSD)
Thanks for patiently reading my post. Please reply what is better in your opinion. Would like to know there is anything else I should consider.