SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

Is saturday mail an Ontario/American thing? We don't get that here (Alberta).

I think it's just an American thing. "Nor rain, nor sleet, nor snow" I believe is the saying. The USPS apparently quits for nothing. Canada post quits for a papercut or minor case of the sniffles. Well, ok, that's a terrible exaggeration, but they don't work saturdays in any Province or territory, I believe.

I think it's just an American thing. "Nor rain, nor sleet, nor snow" I believe is the saying. The USPS apparently quits for nothing. Canada post quits for a papercut or minor case of the sniffles. Well, ok, that's a terrible exaggeration, but they don't work saturdays in any Province or territory, I believe.

haha

Yes, sorry it is just an american thing but soon they will get rid of mail on sat here too.. too costly.

I am leaving on sunday so I am hoping it is in the mail before on sat or earlier. I keep refreshing the page to see if anybody else has heard anything.

haha

Yes, sorry it is just an american thing but soon they will get rid of mail on sat here too.. too costly.

I am leaving on sunday so I am hoping it is in the mail before on sat or earlier. I keep refreshing the page to see if anybody else has heard anything.

You aren't alone:

50 User(s) are reading this topic

Anyone else heard anything about the results being electronically released?

Yes, I heard directly from someone in my grad studies office that they were released electronically this afternoon. So I don't know my result yet, but I know it's coming soon!

Yes, I heard directly from someone in my grad studies office that they were released electronically this afternoon. So I don't know my result yet, but I know it's coming soon!

Where are you based?

Results were mailed out today. Unfortunately, we can not give out

results via e-mail or phone. You should receive your letter shortly.

I don't get it! Are you a grad student? Does your grad coordinator get access to the results? How? Mine seems clueless. If you are talking about your future grad dept, I still can't understand why my present grad dept should remain any less enlightened about the results! Sure, I applied on my own and was not vetted by my dept, but still!

And may I ask which school you're at?

Sure. As Canuck said, I'm at the Hebrew University (Israel). Since it takes forever for mail to get here from Canada, and since the award starts this May (as I've already started the phd program) then they agreed to email me the result, so I could respond quickly enough to be able to accept the award and deal with all the paperwork.

Canuck, many thanks for the all the kind words! I also believe you're presenting a very strong case in this competition, and I keep my fingers crossed for you in hopes to hear some very good news in the next few days!! You're having the comps soon right?? Concentrating on that while waiting for SSHRC is not an easy task.. hope it all works out well.

Oh and here's another interesting thing mentioned in the letter: apparently only 930 awards were made. There were 1942 forwarded applications, which gives a lower success rate than past years (and lower overall number of awards given). I guess Vanier's responsible for that.

Thanks everybody for the congrats, and well good luck!!

Is saturday mail an Ontario/American thing? We don't get that here (Alberta).

Yeah we do! Where do you live? I've lived in downtown Edmonton for the past 8 years, and I have frequently had mail delivered to me by Canada Post on Saturdays. However, they may not deliver it on Saturdays in more rural areas. I'm not sure. And the post offices aren't required to be open, although some do stay open. Just thought I'd clarify.

I don't get it! Are you a grad student? Does your grad coordinator get access to the results? How? Mine seems clueless. If you are talking about your future grad dept, I still can't understand why my present grad dept should remain any less enlightened about the results! Sure, I applied on my own and was not vetted by my dept, but still!

:)

Yes, I'm a grad student. No, my grad coordinator does not get access to the results. The people who have non-academic desk jobs administering awards for your school? Those are the people with access. Whichever office you take paperwork to in order to get paid has the people who know electronically who won SSHRC.

The awards admin workers may or may not tell the grad chairs, depending on the school.

The grad chairs may or may not tell the students, depending on the department.

Make sense?

PS- Hi Janna and Gillian!

Hey guys!

I wanted to let everyone know I received a phone call from my university tonight, asking me a bunch of questions to confirm my identity... and telling me I got SSHRC funding (PhD).

So good luck everyone: the wait is almost over!

Thank you all for the information. I'll let you know about the letter's arrival in Montreal (when I receive it). I'm a Master student.

Alex

Thanks for clarifying! One more question for you though: did you apply for the award through your university? I'm thinking that it's possible that my awards people might not be notified since I applied on my own. I live in the US.

:)

Yes, I'm a grad student. No, my grad coordinator does not get access to the results. The people who have non-academic desk jobs administering awards for your school? Those are the people with access. Whichever office you take paperwork to in order to get paid has the people who know electronically who won SSHRC.

The awards admin workers may or may not tell the grad chairs, depending on the school.

The grad chairs may or may not tell the students, depending on the department.

Make sense?

PS- Hi Janna and Gillian!

It doesn't seem that much lower from the past year: 1018 awards for 1835 forwarded doctoral applications. I'm trying to reassure myself here.

When you look at those figure as percentages...in 2009 59% of forwarded applications were funded, but this year only 48% of us will be getting the happy news. Sorry...I'm not trying to rock your self reassurance measures, I'm just not liking the math.

Something doesn't work : "A total of 7,957 applications for master’s, doctoral and postdoctoral scholarship and fellowship support were adjudicated at SSHRC in 2010-11." (http://www.sshrc.ca/site/whatsnew-quoi_neuf/sshrc_news-nouvelles_crsh-eng.aspx) via http://twitter.com/SSHRC_CRSH

When you look at those figure as percentages...in 2009 59% of forwarded applications were funded, but this year only 48% of us will be getting the happy news. Sorry...I'm not trying to rock your self reassurance measures, I'm just not liking the math.

Something doesn't work : "A total of 7,957 applications for master’s, doctoral and postdoctoral scholarship and fellowship support were adjudicated at SSHRC in 2010-11." (http://www.sshrc.ca/site/whatsnew-quoi_neuf/sshrc_news-nouvelles_crsh-eng.aspx) via http://twitter.com/SSHRC_CRSH

It's because the quote above refers to the doctoral competition exclusively. The stats you've listed include doctoral, masters and post-doc awards.