SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

A couple questions regarding getting bumped up:

1) If you received a fellowship, how long do you have until you have to accept/decline it?

2) Does anyone know, maybe from previous years, when wait list people start to hear about getting bumped up?

3) Does anyone ever decline the Vanier?

I'm only asking because I'm 2nd on the waitlist, and I'd like to know how long I realistically have to wait. (Also would like to know about the Vaniers, because there are currenly two Vanier winners ahead of me in my group... and if they TAKE their Vaniers, I'm definitely funded...)

Edited by SpaceJump

Someone on my Facebook page just posted a status update saying that he's received SSHRC and unless he's got a degree I don't know about, I'm pretty sure it's a Master's SSHRC. He asked the head of his department (English) and the results were released today. I'm... not actually sure who to ask for my results...

Okay, I just talked to the chair of my department, and he confirmed that I've been awarded the Master's level SSHRC. I have no other details whatsoever and I'm sure it'll be at least another week until the official letter comes. But for all you anxious Master's students out there, it's time to start emailing your department heads!

Someone on my Facebook page just posted a status update saying that he's received SSHRC and unless he's got a degree I don't know about, I'm pretty sure it's a Master's SSHRC. He asked the head of his department (English) and the results were released today. I'm... not actually sure who to ask for my results...

Okay, I just talked to the chair of my department, and he confirmed that I've been awarded the Master's level SSHRC. I have no other details whatsoever and I'm sure it'll be at least another week until the official letter comes. But for all you anxious Master's students out there, it's time to start emailing your department heads!

Thanks for the very important news!

I didn't hear anything today from my department or awards, so now I'm horribly paranoid.

Edited by Compoe

Thanks for the very important news!

I didn't hear anything today from my department or awards, so now I'm horribly paranoid.

don't be. no one in my department, grad studies, or awards contacted me at all. there is no logic, rhyme or reason.

The suspense is killing me! Good luck to all you other masters students out there. And doctoral of course too. Can't wait until all the information finally released!

Best to reiterate:

This whole process is a mystery. I wouldn't be surprised if the same application next year would net you an award.

If you didn't get something this year, don't be discouraged!

The mail finally arrived. I'm surprised I got what I did given the score.

1. Funded in category C ($35k/3yrs if in Canada, $20k/4yrs if elsewhere); score: 18.6/30

2. BC

3. Letter received: May 11; Letter postmarked: May 5; Letter dated: May 3

4. Economics

5. Applied through university

6. Would be starting 1st year PhD.

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? Nope.

8. Just finished undergrad, so first time applying. No publications or conferences or anything completed.

edit: How would I word emails informing schools of this?

Edited by thesparky

Got my letter of award after mentally preparing myself to start the whole process again in the fall for the last week. Very unexpected.

1. Funded in category A ($35k/3yrs in Canada); score: 20.4/30

2. BC

4. Political Science/Interdisciplinary

6. Starting 1st year PhD.

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? No

8. Had MA SSHRC, Good (but not excellent) GPA, decent statement of intent, no pubs/conferences at time of application (just a couple of throwaway undergrad things) and what I imagine were VERY strong letters from my MA supervisor and future PhD supervisor.

School offices are now open for the day... Deep breath.

Update: McGill music grad co-ordinator hasn't heard anything, but she's emailed Awards to see what they know.

Edited by Compoe

This might be a silly question, but if I've been out of university for 2 years and am now enrolled in an upcoming Master's program, would I contact my Master's school to hear about my SSHRC results?

Best to reiterate:

If you didn't get something this year, don't be discouraged!

The mail finally arrived. I'm surprised I got what I did given the score.

1. Funded in category C ($35k/3yrs if in Canada, $20k/4yrs if elsewhere); score: 18.6/30

2. BC

4. Economics

6. Would be starting 1st year PhD.

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? Nope.

8. Just finished undergrad, so first time applying. No publications or conferences or anything completed.

edit: How would I word emails informing schools of this?

18.6 and a CGS? Serious? That's awesome. And you're in my category. I was 17.9/30 and 1st on the waitlist in my subcommitte of cat C. There were 2 Vaniers and 34 SSHRC in my subcommittee. Crazy how that random assignment works.

Edited by Canuckonomist

Just got an email from Michelle St-Pierre. I'm fifth on the "econ" waiting list with a score of 17.8. Apparently, there are quite a few people between 17.9 and 17.8. Hoping for the best...

This might be a silly question, but if I've been out of university for 2 years and am now enrolled in an upcoming Master's program, would I contact my Master's school to hear about my SSHRC results?

There's no harm in asking your school. Don't count on hearing anything just yet, though, since McGill still doesn't seem to have the results for the Masters competition.

Just got an email from Michelle St-Pierre. I'm fifth on the "econ" waiting list with a score of 17.8. Apparently, there are quite a few people between 17.9 and 17.8. Hoping for the best...

What did she say your chances are?

Just out of curiosity, can you explain the below a bit? I'm just wondering how this works. What do you mean about random assignment?

18.6 and a CGS? Serious? That's awesome. And you're in my category. I was 17.9/30 and 1st on the waitlist in my subcommitte of cat C. There were 2 Vaniers and 34 SSHRC in my subcommittee. Crazy how that random assignment works.

Just out of curiosity, can you explain the below a bit? I'm just wondering how this works. What do you mean about random assignment?

The subcomittee you are evaluated in is randomly assigned. Not really much more to explain than that!

What did she say your chances are?

The translated (I wrote in French) wording was "good". I don't know if there's an official SSHRC function that allocates wording to probabilities. Anyway, there are no emoticons to interpret this time.

About the 18.6 and CGS, I think that there are probably more CGS in the econ/business section, because that's the money going for business related topics. This distribution means that there is more hope for the waiting list, because the CGS-SSHRC difference can be allocated to other applicants. It could also be that the top applicants were in 3rd or 4th year, which would also make sense, and they don't have access to CGS. There's a lot of randomness at SSHRC, but I don't think CGS is distributed randomly across points.

Okay, this is getting really frustrating. McGill Awards has reiterated that Masters results will be out by the end of the month.

Which sort of contradicts what other posters in the thread have experienced.

Oh, I see...I was thinking subcommittee referred to one of the 5 areas and didn't realize that there were subcommittees within those (which you are randomly assigned to).

The subcomittee you are evaluated in is randomly assigned. Not really much more to explain than that!

A bit off track, but for those who have won a SSHRC, can we call ourselves "SSHRC Doctoral Fellows" on our CV? I mean, in addition to putting "Won SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship" under "Awards" in our CV. Makes us look a bit more enticing to schools when we apply for jobs?

Ack, I feel like I've created a lot of false hope! To be clear, my process was to email the chair of my department at my out-going university and ask him if he knew what the results were. He wrote back saying he'd just been notified that day that I was successful for SSHRC. My friend in a different discipline had the same experience - he contacted his chair directly and heard back from that person with the results. I have not been personally contacted by SSHRC or any other administrator at either institution, outgoing or incoming. Masters results being "out by the end of the month" might be referring to official letters? It also might be that I was lucky - I know my department head personally and he probably would have gotten around to sending me the results on his own if I hadn't pre-empted him by asking.

My institution (and my friend's) is UWO, if that makes any difference. I don't know if these results were released to all institutions or just some and who in which program would know what. I guess it may depend on who you talk to.

Okay, this is getting really frustrating. McGill Awards has reiterated that Masters results will be out by the end of the month.

Which sort of contradicts what other posters in the thread have experienced.

There's a lot of randomness at SSHRC, but I don't think CGS is distributed randomly across points.

I wasn't suggesting it is. Anyone who has won a CGS has obviously met the cut-off point and are well-deserving.

Ack, I feel like I've created a lot of false hope! To be clear, my process was to email the chair of my department at my out-going university and ask him if he knew what the results were. He wrote back saying he'd just been notified that day that I was successful for SSHRC. My friend in a different discipline had the same experience - he contacted his chair directly and heard back from that person with the results. I have not been personally contacted by SSHRC or any other administrator at either institution, outgoing or incoming. Masters results being "out by the end of the month" might be referring to official letters? It also might be that I was lucky - I know my department head personally and he probably would have gotten around to sending me the results on his own if I hadn't pre-empted him by asking.

My institution (and my friend's) is UWO, if that makes any difference. I don't know if these results were released to all institutions or just some and who in which program would know what. I guess it may depend on who you talk to.

I asked my department today (Master's) and they said they haven't heard anything yet and that although they are told to wait for students to get their letters, he will let me know when he hears anything. I'm in Ottawa. My personal assumption is that they started work on the Master's letters after they finished with the PhD's, but since there are many more Master's applications, it won't just take until this Friday but they will be finish them sometime mid next week.

We should start a petition asking them to set a strict deadline. Even if it is May 30th of every year, at least they would not be causing us (and themselves by having to answer our emails) such headaches. Anybody up to writing something up?