George Washington MPP

steiner-5

In case anyone is interested, the Trachtenberg School sent a wave of email acceptances today for Fall 2010. No word on funding yet.

When did you apply? Are you a US applicant?

I was complete on January 11th.

Steiner-5, when did you apply?

I submitted my app on 12/7. To the poster above, I am not certain if they sent any MPA acceptances yet (I only applied to the MPP program). And I am a US applicant. They may do the acceptances in a more rolling fashion, so YMMV (I don't want to freak anyone out!).

yeah 12/7 is pretty early compared to me, I submitted hours before the deadline. It'll probably be another few weeks.

I would imagine that's correct. I applied to Georgetown the same day, and got my acceptance today, a day after GW. I just hope they give some $$ because otherwise, it's basically a rejection to me due to how much they cost!

I received an email from the Trachtenberg School on Feb 4 stating that I was "recommended for admission." Is that an acceptance? It seems early--I submitted my application on Jan 15.

lol. Yes, basically (the wording is funny, sometimes). The program will recommend you to the graduate school for admission and it's extremely unusual for the graduate school to oppose them.

Congrats!

I received an email from the Trachtenberg School on Feb 4 stating that I was "recommended for admission." Is that an acceptance? It seems early--I submitted my application on Jan 15.

Did it say YOU were recommended for admission, or was the email about upcoming funding opportunities with a note at the bottom saying "this email is intended for students who have been recommended for admission"? I was under the impression all applicants got the latter based on how many people on this forum received it the same day.

On 2/10/2010 at 11:18 AM, Drive Like June said:

Did it say YOU were recommended for admission, or was the email about upcoming funding opportunities with a note at the bottom saying "this email is intended for students who have been recommended for admission"? I was under the impression all applicants got the latter based on how many people on this forum received it the same day.

I got that email too.

Hi all, I know the MPA program at GW is modeled for working professionals with most classes being at night. I was wondering if the MPP program is the same or if it is more student-schedule oriented.

I went to a session there and my impression was that the program was heavily oriented for working professionals. There were a few students that weren't working, but they were doing internships many hours a week out of school.

I have also had long conversations with current students. MPP and MPA seem to be very similar at GWU, so I don't think there is a difference in their schedule.

If you are looking for an intense, academically oriented program, GW is not the answer. But if you are interested in working in DC, developing your network here and having a diploma from well ranked school, GW may work for you.

That's awesome. Congrats.

i received this email on 2/5, but i got bad news...

I'm sorry to have to give you disappointing news. The earlier email you got from the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration informed you that your admission to the MPP Program had been recommended to the Dean of the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences. I need to let you know that we have been informed that your admission has not been approved....

cry:-(

why is that happening? i cannot understand...

i received this email on 2/5, but i got bad news...

I'm sorry to have to give you disappointing news. The earlier email you got from the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration informed you that your admission to the MPP Program had been recommended to the Dean of the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences. I need to let you know that we have been informed that your admission has not been approved....

cry:-(

why is that happening? i cannot understand...

I'm sorry blackhair96, did you get an email saying that or did you check GWU's decision online?

I never received an email from GWU, but I checked my status online which says that I've been selected as an alternate for admission. I assume that means waitlisted right? I don't know why I never received any email about this...

Hi all, I know the MPA program at GW is modeled for working professionals with most classes being at night. I was wondering if the MPP program is the same or if it is more student-schedule oriented.

Student- oriented for sure

I'm sorry blackhair96, did you get an email saying that or did you check GWU's decision online?

I never received an email from GWU, but I checked my status online which says that I've been selected as an alternate for admission. I assume that means waitlisted right? I don't know why I never received any email about this...

i was asked to check the decision online in the previous "recommendation" email, but i couldn't log on my account for almost a week... did they clear out my profile so quickly?so sad. after all, this is the first school i applied sending me feedback.

i think you've been in the waitlist, better than my situation. i think you also didn't apply very early right? let's pray for better results :)

I did the same and was also selected as an alternate. I was hoping for better news, but am glad to be in the same boat as someone who was also accepted to LSE.

They also sent me a postal letter that pretty much quoted what was said on the website and added that they hope to make final decisions mid-May. I'd like to know sooner personally.

I did the same and was also selected as an alternate. I was hoping for better news, but am glad to be in the same boat as someone who was also accepted to LSE.

They also sent me a postal letter that pretty much quoted what was said on the website and added that they hope to make final decisions mid-May. I'd like to know sooner personally.

On the website, it says some people may not know until July

And btw, does anyone know how many MPP applicants/places there are at GW? When I applied, I was under the impression that it wasn't as popular as my other US choices. I just applied because I was admitted at undergrad level but didn't end up going, so I thought I'd get in again. But judging by this forum, it seems very competitive! Just wondering if the other schools in my sig are likely to be rejections....

Edited by RH7

I also thought GWU was one of the easier places to get in (weren't the acceptance rates in the 50% range?), but everywhere is harder to get in this year. We had something like a 40% increase in applications here at Sanford, and they're admitting fewer people since they expect a higher offer-acceptance rate. Candidates with no work experience are basically out; two years ago, almost half the incoming class had one year of experience or less. The economy is changing everything for grad school admissions, plus MPPs in particular are getting more well-known and everyone knows that the government is going to be THE major hiring force for the next decade or so.

Edited by stilesg57