Georgetown MSFS 2017

Hello everyone,

I wasn't able to find a specific thread for MSFS Fall 2017 cycle so I thought I would go ahead and start one! Has anyone been in contact with the admissions office? I'm hopeful that we'll hear back this week!

A lot of people in the Security Policy Studies  program are finding out today.. holding out hope that we will know by friday. I did an admissions chat some while ago, and they told me Mid-End March, so don't lose hope on mid March!

i have a strong feeling we are going to find out tomorrow! they found out march 18 in 2015 and in 2016... march 18 this year is a Saturday. Good luck to all! so nervous and dying to find out!!!

6 hours ago, netflixnchili said:

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place waiting for all these decisions to come out. All I can do is twiddle my thumbs as the place tickets fares to attend open house go up and up.

Have you looked into the cost of flight cancellation insurance? It usually runs $20 - $40 domestically and may be the best option of hedging your chances. Book now and cancel if needed.

2 hours ago, BluffIR said:

Have you looked into the cost of flight cancellation insurance? It usually runs $20 - $40 domestically and may be the best option of hedging your chances. Book now and cancel if needed.

I actually have not but that is a great idea! My case is a little more complicated because I have to take a break from work, decide on which open houses to attend, and then try to coordinate the travel in between schools. 

From the admitted students page:

We look forward to welcoming you at the MSFS Open House on Thursday, April 6, 2017 from 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Please RSVP no later than Thursday, March 30

http://msfs.georgetown.edu/admitted

With those dates I don't think we'll be waiting much longer. 

I talked to admissions Friday afternoon and asked if we'd find out soon because the admitted students day is getting close. I work, so the closer it gets the harder it gets to take time off. Plus a plane ticket. The person made it seem like it wasn't a big deal to attend the open house. I don't know about others, but I'm not deciding to pay 100k+ to a school I've never even toured. 

She said it could be this week, it could be by the end of April. I felt like the nonchalance was strange.

1 hour ago, nuhanzi said:

I wonder if this is a strategic psychological play to make us want to attend SFS the most after having to wait so long. Playing hard to get.

It's making me want to attend less. I'm getting annoyed that I can't make a final decision because I'm waiting on them. 

It's really, very weird to me that they haven't made decisions yet, when for the past 3-4 years, they were released at this time. I wonder what that means? More apps this year? More people they are debating on? There has to be some type of hold up. 

Yeah, seems strange to me too. Looking back at old threads it seems there's always annoyance and impatience with their process, you'd think they would've found a new process by now- one that makes decisions faster, not slower. I'm going to DC this weekend and since I consider georgetown a super super longshot, I'm not visiting the campus, but it'd be nice to visit the other school with a commitment to attend. 

From what I've heard this is par for the course with the msfs program...

There seems to be a general disconnect/lack of communication between the front office staff and the actual admissions ppl so I guess we can take comfort in knowing we're not alone? 

I can't imagine how they'll justify asking people to RSVP by the 30th if they aren't even letting people know about admissions results until next week... Which makes me think it's gotta be this week. 

24 minutes ago, cbx2v said:

Thanks for the heads up @BluffIR! I just checked and I'm in with ~$24k/year =)

Hi @cbx2v, I'm also accepted. Though I have a small question, hope you don't mind. Was the financial aid/scholarship mentioned explicitly in your letter?

My acceptance letter doesn't mention anything about it, so I assume it means that I didn't get any funding? Thanks a lot in advance. 

I've been accepted as well! :) 6/6 is a pretty good feeling! Congratulations to you both, @lanhoang @cbx2v !!!!!!! I believe it would have been mentioned in the acceptance letter. I didn't receive any funding either. Looking like SAIS or maybe Fletcher for me :D !! No frowns here.