Home State "Bucket List"?

angesradieux

So, as the reality of relocating to another state hits me more, I've started thinking a lot about all the things in/near by my state that won't be in or at least as easily accessible from wherever I end up going. Most of it is stuff I haven't gotten around to in years because it's just always there, so I've taken it for granted and never made any real effort to get there. While I know I'm not leaving forever and plan to be home for holidays, I realize my time will be by far more limited and it'll be harder to fit things in when I'm here. So, I've started concocting a list of things I'd like to do in the remaining months before I leave.

Anyone else doing something similar?

That looks pretty cool.

I admit, though, most of the things on my list are a bit less academic than museums. ^.^; I haven't been to Medieval Times in like four years, I can't even remember the last time I went to Six Flags, and I didn't get to the boardwalk/aquarium much last summer. I also really want to go to Hershey Park, but that might be a bit of a long shot since that's in another state. It's still a whole lot closer to where I am now than it will be in grad school, though.

Though now that I think about it, it would be nice to get to the Museum of Natural History... That might also be a bit of a long shot, though, since that's also in another state and I'd really need an entire day to devote to it.

I'm not sure how much of it I'll actually get to. I guess it depends on what both time and money allows.

Aside from hanging out with friends and family before I move away, I've been thinking more about things I'll do this summer that might be harder to make time for once I start my program. For example, I'm really into fitness and running, so I'm considering doing my first half-marathon (or at least some sort of big race) at some point during the summer. Obviously I'll still run/stay active in grad school, but I'm thinking I might not have as much time to dedicate to a training program. Last summer I also joined an acoustic group near my hometown that performed at coffee shops and just jammed together every few weeks, so I might make time to do that as well. I also want to go to the beach, read a ton of books for fun, and make as many road trips as I can to visit friends before I move farther away. And, most importantly, spend all the time I possibly can with my dog <3

Before I moved to US from Europe last year, my bucket list had only one line - spending time with friends and family. Now that I will be moving from Chicago to California, I made a list of things that I want to do in Chicago this summer. I hope I will have the chance to do everything I want. 

2 hours ago, angesradieux said:

That looks pretty cool.

I admit, though, most of the things on my list are a bit less academic than museums. ^.^; I haven't been to Medieval Times in like four years, I can't even remember the last time I went to Six Flags, and I didn't get to the boardwalk/aquarium much last summer. I also really want to go to Hershey Park, but that might be a bit of a long shot since that's in another state. It's still a whole lot closer to where I am now than it will be in grad school, though.

Though now that I think about it, it would be nice to get to the Museum of Natural History... That might also be a bit of a long shot, though, since that's also in another state and I'd really need an entire day to devote to it.

I'm not sure how much of it I'll actually get to. I guess it depends on what both time and money allows.

Judging from this, I would assume that you are living in NJ. I would try to get to as many places as possible that are listed in Weird New Jersey

5 hours ago, Neist said:

I'm not going to be leaving this state for a while, but I completely understand. There are a few museums that I want to visit that are highly particular. 

For example, American Banjo Museum, anyone? :) 

I'm just sad I won't be able to get Pie Junkie/Empire Pizza/Cafe Cacao/Braums whenever I please once I leave OK :(

It's funny, you won't know what you are missing until you actually leave it. When I left to go live in Japan for a while, I didn't think I would miss Reese's peanut butter cups. They weren't really high on my list of favorite candies. But to be without it for so long...I missed it more and more to the point where I would request it in care packages.

I know what I will miss the most about my home state is the food. Yeah, I can definitely make my own but it just won't be the same.

2 hours ago, ellieotter said:

I'm just sad I won't be able to get Pie Junkie/Empire Pizza/Cafe Cacao/Braums whenever I please once I leave OK :(

Mmm. Braums. The secret that only people in Oklahoma know. :) 

19 hours ago, avflinsch said:

Judging from this, I would assume that you are living in NJ. I would try to get to as many places as possible that are listed in Weird New Jersey

Yup. I'm in the Freehold area, so a bit south of Rutgers. Thanks for the suggestions! Speaking of Rutgers, I need to fit in a couple more lunches at Old Man Rafferty's. So many places to go and so much food to eat before I leave!

1 hour ago, angesradieux said:

Yup. I'm in the Freehold area, so a bit south of Rutgers. Thanks for the suggestions! Speaking of Rutgers, I need to fit in a couple more lunches at Old Man Rafferty's. So many places to go and so much food to eat before I leave!

You should also check out the places from http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/

23 hours ago, Neist said:

I'm not going to be leaving this state for a while, but I completely understand. There are a few museums that I want to visit that are highly particular. 

For example, American Banjo Museum, anyone? :) 

Reminds me of the Far Side cartoon (from Hell):  "Maestro, your room is in here..."

1 hour ago, angesradieux said:

I am counting down the days until I move out of NJ back to my home state of Massachusetts. I have been here 11 long years. Can't wait to be home

Apparently there's also a chocolate museum in Manhattan. So clearly a trip to New York is necessary. Maybe I'll head to the chocolate museum in the morning and take a cab to the Museum of Natural History, wander around Central Park for a bit, and maybe try to catch a show. Not sure if any of this will actually happen, but if it does, it will be a fantastic day.

I kind of have my own bucket list going on. Though mine is less about going to places and more about making sure I get my fill of seafood and cajun food before relocating.

I've also been buying shirts/coffee mugs/pint glasses from some of my favorite places. And I'm trying to buy art from all of my friends who are local artists.

I'm leaving lovely Colorado where I've lived 23 of the 27 years of my life, though not all consecutively. We have lovely natural resources that of course I want to see, though being literally from here I never went "Real" hiking in my life... Mostly my list is really kitschy hometown things like our ailing 2nd amusement park, the drive in theater, etc. I have a favorite park and some hot springs I really love too.

I just actually put in for some more time off in May (using a year worth in a half year is wonderful!) so that I could have a little more "staycation" time with friends and family before leaving. A lot of my friends still work in the service industry or in bodywork etc where its hard to coordinate evenings and weekends.

Perhaps we should exchange some lists for those of us switching places, even indirectly.

I would love to be in colorado. oh man.. low precipitation. sunny all the time. elite cyclists everywhere to train with. mountains. hiking. gorgeous looking people (or so I'm told by a group on a bachelorette trip..). that's not a place for a bucket list. That's like a place to settle down and chill until you kick the bucket.

Eh everyone is moving here and it's completely unsustainable economicallly. Denver was seriously under developed and now it's happening all at once. We have a really terrible public education system here and there are a lot of opportunities for people with advanced degrees which creates this segregated economy where most people with good jobs aren't from here. The cost of living keeps going up as neighborhoods gentrify. Honestly I'll never be able to afford a home in Denver large enough for a family. Gotta get out now, unfortunately.