Northeastern University and moving to Boston!

Anyone thinking about attending Northeastern University in Boston? I am from California and am pretty positive I will be attending this fall / would LOVE to connect with others thinking about attending!:) 

Also if anyone has any insight on the program or about moving to Boston in general I would love to hear it! I have absolutely no friends or family in the Boston area and am nervous to move so far away from home. Is it easy to make friends in the program and in Boston? Where do students usually live? What are the clinical placements like? Anything helps!!! SO excited :) 

@plume Congrats! What school are you thinking of going to? I just visited Boston and I loved the city! It's BEAUTIFUL and everyone is very friendly and there is so much history! Don't know if I could survive the cold though haha

32 minutes ago, wannabespeechy said:

@plume Congrats! What school are you thinking of going to? I just visited Boston and I loved the city! It's BEAUTIFUL and everyone is very friendly and there is so much history! Don't know if I could survive the cold though haha

Emerson! I loved the city when I visited for my interview! I like to think I am a small mountain town girl though, so it's a little scary! And yes, I think the cold will be hard for a native Californian but you will get used to it :) 

While we wait for others to comment, I have been told that Allston and Brighton are where most students live, but Allston is pretty young (I'm not sure how old you are or what ind of environment you are looking for, but that kinda worries me). I have also heard Somerville is good, as well as Jamaica Plain. My friend lives in Dorchester and he says it's scary but more affordable. I'm hoping it's not too terrible to find a place to rent from a distance!

GUYS, I JUST GOT INTO NORTHEASTERN!!

Now, that I have another school to consider, what do you guys think of Northeastern/Boston for school?

Can anyone find the cost for Northeastern?

3 hours ago, maurmaur said:

GUYS, I JUST GOT INTO NORTHEASTERN!!

Now, that I have another school to consider, what do you guys think of Northeastern/Boston for school?

Can anyone find the cost for Northeastern?

YAY! Join me in Boston......! :) Congratulations!

On 3/31/2017 at 11:22 AM, wannabespeechy said:

Anyone thinking about attending Northeastern University in Boston? I am from California and am pretty positive I will be attending this fall / would LOVE to connect with others thinking about attending!:) 

Also if anyone has any insight on the program or about moving to Boston in general I would love to hear it! I have absolutely no friends or family in the Boston area and am nervous to move so far away from home. Is it easy to make friends in the program and in Boston? Where do students usually live? What are the clinical placements like? Anything helps!!! SO excited :) 

I'm pretty sure I'm going to choose Northeastern too! I'm from the Northeast but don't have tons of people in Boston or any insight into the questions you have, but I love Boston!!! (would love answers to the same types of questions you're asking too!) :)

Have you tried contacting the program with questions? I've had trouble getting answers about some technical things that I'm hoping to know before depositing!

Edited by gradgirl91

On 4/7/2017 at 2:19 PM, gradgirl91 said:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to choose Northeastern too! I'm from the Northeast but don't have tons of people in Boston or any insight into the questions you have, but I love Boston!!! (would love answers to the same types of questions you're asking too!) :)

Have you tried contacting the program with questions? I've had trouble getting answers about some technical things that I'm hoping to know before depositing!

I will be attending Northeastern in the Fall! I am from Massachusetts and I am about 45 min outside of Boston so I will be commuting to save a little money. I went to the Open House and they gave us a few resources for finding apartments and such. I can share them with you if you're interested. If you have any questions concerning the Boston area I may be some help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys! :)

I just got into NU! I will be attending in the Summer! I'm Italian and I come from Rome, I've never been to the USA.

X
by Deal Top

X
by Deal Top

X
by Deal Top

X
by Deal Top

X
by Deal Top

X
by Deal Top

X
by Deal Top

X
by Deal Top

X
by Deal Top

X
by Deal Top

X
by Deal Top

I'm so nervous and excited at the same time, I have no friends there and I wonder how people are with foreigners. Any info about life in Boston would be precious :)

To Daniel:

Boston is  both very cosmopolitan and provincial.  The top levels of academia, medicine, and tech are quite global but the neighborhoods can be rather closely-knit.  Tribal, actually.  Student neighborhoods will be less so, as everyone will come from everywhere and not be too firmly planted.  But it is worth keeping in mind.

One place you might find interesting to visit, especially if you spend a day on the Freedom Trail, is the North End.  Old North Church and Paul Revere's house are there, of course, among other sites from the Revolution, but it has become known more lately for being an Italian neighborhood.  As you know both languages, you might get an interesting window on Boston's culture by walking around there.