Waitlist Limbo

Everyone around here is weighing the options of which school they should choose based on the availability of public transportation and the median rental price and I'm sitting here like...well I guess my student loan grace period will be ending soon what am I going to do with the next year of my life to deal with my mediocrity? Just kidding, kind of. 

Is there anyone else out there that is only sitting on multiple waitlists and rejections? 

Not in your field but lurking here anyway because I keep coming back to see when people tend to accept/reject their offers.

Personally, I have one acceptance but I haven't heard about funding, nor do I have the official offer. Got the unofficial offer in January. It's been driving me bonkers. I've been waiting since forever and the only thing they've been able to do tell me is that they hope to know more soon. Sigh...

Anyway, from what I've seen in the different waitlist threads, it seems like SLP programs tend to accept waitlisted students more often than students in other programs. Maybe that's because SLP programs only accept the number of students they expect to attend (I'm only guessing here) while other programs accept more students than they expect to attend. In any case, if you're on multiple waitlists, that sounds like a good start already.

Edited by ThousandsHardships

1 hour ago, StPaulCCC said:

Everyone around here is weighing the options of which school they should choose based on the availability of public transportation and the median rental price and I'm sitting here like...well I guess my student loan grace period will be ending soon what am I going to do with the next year of my life to deal with my mediocrity? Just kidding, kind of. 

Is there anyone else out there that is only sitting on multiple waitlists and rejections? 

Haha! Your comment made me laugh out loud. I was in your position last year - 2 waitlists and a rejection. It was making me so anxious all day every day. I decided to make a detailed "back-up" plan with the time I had on my hands to wait. I opened a word document and noted what classes I would take/re-take, how I could gain more in-field experience, applied for more observation hours, and contacted local schools with SLP programs to see if I could get any kind of research experience. I ended up not getting into any last year, but it felt SO MUCH better knowing I had a solid back-up plan in place. (I completed my list during my year off and this year I was accepted to *almost* every school I applied to)!

Best of luck to you! I hope this helped a little. 

So I was in the same boat till a week ago because I got rejections from EVERYWHERE and got waitlisted at UC Davis.Crushed, battered and bruised, I thought nothing was going to work out.

Then it did and I'm in a better emotional space right now but I know how it felt and I'm sorry. Back in the "dark days" I did the following just so that I didn't sort of feel like the world was ending:

I made list after list of things that I wanted to do if I wasn't in school- from learning new languages to joining music classes. I looked up Masters programs in my home country and looked up jobs/internships in publishing and journalism. I decided to do independent research and began to jot down ideas. I read the forums here and saw that there were people who were applying for the 3rd or even 4th time and realised that if they can persevere, so can I.

All of it helped me to keep my sanity and I hope that some of it helps you. DO NOT THINK OF YOURSELF AS MEDIOCRE OR LACKING IN ANY WAY. That's a difficult pitfall to get out of. Just keep looking for possibilities. I hope things work out for you.

Edited by Zauber
Point of information!

5 minutes ago, Zauber said:

So I was in the same boat till a week ago because I got rejections from EVERYWHERE and got waitlisted at UC Davis.Crushed, battered and bruised, I thought nothing was going to work out.

Then it did and I'm in a better emotional space right now but I know how it felt and I'm sorry. Back in the "dark days" I did the following just so that I didn't sort of feel like the world was ending:

I made list after list of things that I wanted to do if I wasn't in school- from learning new languages to joining music classes. I looked up Masters programs in my home country and looked up jobs/internships in publishing and journalism. I decided to do independent research and began to jot down ideas. I read the forums here and saw that there were people who were applying for the 3rd or even 4th time and realised that if they can persevere, so can I.

All of it helped me to keep my sanity and I hope that some of it helps you. DO NOT THINK OF YOURSELF AS MEDIOCRE OR LACKING IN ANY WAY. That's a difficult pitfall to get out of. Just keep looking for possibilities. I hope things work out for you.

That was very uplifting, actually. I love how you took it as an opportunity to take time to wholly enrich your life in addition to improving your application. Thank you for responding! So were you accepted off of the waitlist at UC Davis? 

1 minute ago, StPaulCCC said:

That was very uplifting, actually. I love how you took it as an opportunity to take time to wholly enrich your life in addition to improving your application. Thank you for responding! So were you accepted off of the waitlist at UC Davis? 

Yes! I didn't think it would happen because I was rejected from everywhere else and didn't think a waitlist position would change into an acceptance. My decision came in last week, after I'd just about confirmed my place at a Masters Program in India. Big shock but a good one! Hopefully the same will happen to you!

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm on two waitlists and rejected from all others. It was devastating not to have an outright acceptance but I'm coming to terms with it. Further, I am attempting to remain hopefully but realistic about my chances of coming off the waitlist. To help myself feel better about my unknown future I have begun to sketch out plans for next year (I'm not acting on anything though). Personally, I'm waiting to look for a job or apply for positions of any sort because I need to focus on my final grades and keep my sanity. When I have free time I make lists of things that I'd like to do or options to look into. I'm waiting until after graduation day to begin truly looking/applying. There are plenty of jobs in the world (my advisors words, not mine). There are all sorts of ways to remain relevant for graduate school, take care of bills (rent, utilities, loans, life), and still find some enjoyment. It'll work out. Just take a breath (a nice, extremely deep breath). Good luck with all you're experiencing. I absolutely understand your position.

3 hours ago, Tayann1 said:

Waiting on mercy and Worcester (waitlisted both here). I wish I knew what the waitlist was like. But I'm trying to be optimistic!!

I removed myself from the Mercy waitlist today. Fingers crossed that you get some good news very soon!!!