CSU Northridge

Anyone have any idea of when Northridge will send their decisions? We're now less than 2 weeks from the deadline to accept offers and I have no idea where I'm going to accept. It would be nice to at least have heard back from all my schools!

I see last year, decisions were sent ranging from March 30 - April 11. 

CSUN is where I go for undergrad, and I am anxiously awaiting a response too.  The word in the department (from other students, so not necessarily official or reliable) is that Thursday they might send them out.  I really hope it's Thursday, and not closer to 4/15!!  

I think they had a problem with the server where all info was stored, but once again that is hearsay.  Good luck!!  

1 hour ago, SLPsingballs said:

CSUN is where I go for undergrad, and I am anxiously awaiting a response too.  The word in the department (from other students, so not necessarily official or reliable) is that Thursday they might send them out.  I really hope it's Thursday, and not closer to 4/15!!  

I think they had a problem with the server where all info was stored, but once again that is hearsay.  Good luck!!  

Thanks! Good to know. 

I was reading old gradcafe posts about CSUN and I saw that the program is actually 2 1/2 years. Is that true? Their website has the least amount of information of any program I've seen.

1 hour ago, ssllpp said:

Thanks! Good to know. 

I was reading old gradcafe posts about CSUN and I saw that the program is actually 2 1/2 years. Is that true? Their website has the least amount of information of any program I've seen.

The website is pointless, as far as info goes.  If you have any questions, you can email Dr. Hall, as he is extraordinarily helpful and the most approachable professor there.  If you would like his email, you can message me.  I am not sure exactly the length of the program either.  I think it depends on the likelihood of getting all the classes you need in the right amount of time and if you need to fulfill some prerequisites.  It'd be safe to say 2-2.5 years is the length of the program.  Hope that helps!  

1 hour ago, SLPsingballs said:

The website is pointless, as far as info goes.  If you have any questions, you can email Dr. Hall, as he is extraordinarily helpful and the most approachable professor there.  If you would like his email, you can message me.  I am not sure exactly the length of the program either.  I think it depends on the likelihood of getting all the classes you need in the right amount of time and if you need to fulfill some prerequisites.  It'd be safe to say 2-2.5 years is the length of the program.  Hope that helps!  

Thanks! I think I'll wait to see if I actually get accepted and if I do, I'll message you for his email. Whoever it is that I've been emailing during the application process has responded to about 10% of my emails. 

I went to Northridge for undergrad and they typically send out notifications right before their spring break I think.  

As far as their program, yes it is AT least 2.5 years in length.  A lot of my friends went on to go there for grad school and i've heard nothing good about the program as far as length and getting classes you need.  Some people have to wait an extra semester just because they couldn't get a class they needed.   They have been historically bad at getting students classes.  They don't run on a cohort system so you kinda get the classes you need sporadically throughout the program.  

That being said, it is amazingly cheap if your a CA resident! :)

1 hour ago, twinguy7 said:

I went to Northridge for undergrad and they typically send out notifications right before their spring break I think.  

As far as their program, yes it is AT least 2.5 years in length.  A lot of my friends went on to go there for grad school and i've heard nothing good about the program as far as length and getting classes you need.  Some people have to wait an extra semester just because they couldn't get a class they needed.   They have been historically bad at getting students classes.  They don't run on a cohort system so you kinda get the classes you need sporadically throughout the program.  

Precisely, minus the decision date. :)  Spring break was a couple weeks ago, no decisions yet.  As mentioned in a post above, I heard that the department had some technical issues regarding the apps which has caused a delay in the decision date.  

I have seen on other posts that you mentioned working in the school districts around the Redlands area as an SLP for a year before going to grad school.  They waive the master's degree?  Or do you have to be accepted into a master's program and then it will be waived?  Thanks in advance.

Yea they waive the credential and you can work in any school district in California with a bachelors degree.  You don't need to be accepted to a program.  If you do it for a second year I think you need to be accepted to a program or pass the CBeSt.

I went to CSUN for undergrad as well and it definitely can be a nightmare at times when trying to get classes. There are ways to get priority registration though that you can look into if you are accepted! It would just require some extracurricular activities around campus :)

I also did the waiver! You can only do it for 2 years (must take the CBEST and explain why you're not in grad school :( lol) but once you're in the grad program I believe you can keep applying for it and do both if you can manage.

4 hours ago, twinguy7 said:

Thanks for the info! It makes me care a lot less about what my decision from them is, haha. I really don't want to spend more than 2 years in a program! Or not be able to get into classes. :unsure:

11 hours ago, tvl said:

I went to CSUN for undergrad as well and it definitely can be a nightmare at times when trying to get classes. There are ways to get priority registration though that you can look into if you are accepted! It would just require some extracurricular activities around campus :)

I also did the waiver! You can only do it for 2 years (must take the CBEST and explain why you're not in grad school :( lol) but once you're in the grad program I believe you can keep applying for it and do both if you can manage.

Who do you go to for a waiver?  I've been accepted to a grad school, but the reality of moving costs with a family plus out of state tuition is making me reconsider my options (very sadly, hah!).  This might be my next course of action if I don't get into CSUN's residential program.

12 hours ago, twinguy7 said:

Yea they waive the credential and you can work in any school district in California with a bachelors degree.  You don't need to be accepted to a program.  If you do it for a second year I think you need to be accepted to a program or pass the CBeSt.

1 minute ago, SLPsingballs said:

Who do you go to for a waiver?  I've been accepted to a grad school, but the reality of moving costs with a family plus out of state tuition is making me reconsider my options (very sadly, hah!).  This might be my next course of action if I don't get into CSUN's residential program.

Twinguy, how did you go about it? I was completely unaware of this waiver until I posted my resume online and a company contacted me and told me about it. They contracted with Charter schools and some district schools. They took care of it all I just filled out the paperwork. If you are in the southern CA region I can email you the company if you'd like to apply.

1 minute ago, tvl said:

Twinguy, how did you go about it? I was completely unaware of this waiver until I posted my resume online and a company contacted me and told me about it. They contracted with Charter schools and some district schools. They took care of it all I just filled out the paperwork. If you are in the southern CA region I can email you the company if you'd like to apply.

I am in LA currently, but if I don't get into CSUN, I might move for that sort of job.  I'd love the info!!  Thanks for being so helpful. 

@tvl @SLPsingballs

I actually worked for a contract company as well, Total Education Solutions who did all the paperwork for me.  Looking back I wish I would have known I could just go to a school district directly and apply to work as an SLP and they would do the paperwork for you as well and you get good benefits and paid more.  

So in short, you can apply to any open SLP position through edjoin.org and if you get hired they can do the waiver paperwork for you.  

My district for example pays $48k for SLPs on a waiver.

1 hour ago, twinguy7 said:

@tvl @SLPsingballs

I actually worked for a contract company as well, Total Education Solutions who did all the paperwork for me.  Looking back I wish I would have known I could just go to a school district directly and apply to work as an SLP and they would do the paperwork for you as well and you get good benefits and paid more.  

So in short, you can apply to any open SLP position through edjoin.org and if you get hired they can do the waiver paperwork for you.  

My district for example pays $48k for SLPs on a waiver.

You can only work on a waiver for districts that are in high need. Those types of jobs are usually more inland like Victorville, Apple Valley, etc. Nowadays, it's unheard of in places like Orange County and Los Angeles. 

I got an acceptance letter and a rejection letter all within 3 minutes of each other. HAHA!

CSUN, get your act together. Did anyone else get 2 letters?!

2 hours ago, ssllpp said:

I got an acceptance letter and a rejection letter all within 3 minutes of each other. HAHA!

CSUN, get your act together. Did anyone else get 2 letters?!

Oh wow, how confusing!!  Did you email them for clarification?  I only received one letter, an acceptance, thankfully.

3 hours ago, SLPsingballs said:

Oh wow, how confusing!!  Did you email them for clarification?  I only received one letter, an acceptance, thankfully.

Yeah, I emailed them. We'll see what they say. I kind of feel like I was accepted because the letter had my name on it, whereas the rejection one was generic (and possibly an accident?)

I still have no idea what my decision would be though. Are you leaning towards accepting CSUN's offer?

14 hours ago, ssllpp said:

Yeah, I emailed them. We'll see what they say. I kind of feel like I was accepted because the letter had my name on it, whereas the rejection one was generic (and possibly an accident?)

I still have no idea what my decision would be though. Are you leaning towards accepting CSUN's offer?

I sent you a pm.  I will be attending CSUN for grad school because the amount of debt I would incur is much less than my other option (even though I loved the other school very much).