Berkeley EE M.Eng vs Stanford EE MS

mike12724

Hello all! I'm currently stuck deciding between the Berkeley EE M.Eng and Stanford EE MS.

Several factors are:

• I'm going to be focusing on robotics, control, and signal processing (in that order, with just a focus in robotics if possible)
  • Berkeley gave me a $20,000 scholarship
  • I can take out student loans, but aren't thrilled about it
  • Does a masters of engineering look worse in industry than a masters of science?
  • Does Stanford really have more prestige than Berkeley when it comes to EE industry?
  • Would I be able to make long-lasting professional connections better in one of them?
  • Ultimately, does one have more hireability than the other?

Thanks

Hello, congrats you got in both great schools in EE. If your financial situation allows you choosing Stanford, I think that would be better. After working a few years in industry if you decide on pursuing a PhD, its MSc counts more. However, you may also think about a management degree in that case I think both are equally good. by the way,  congrats on your great offers and good luck.

Congrats! I have a CS friend who faced the same dilemma two years ago. He ended up choosing Berkeley and is now a software engineer at a reputable company.

Have you received external fellowships (GRFP, etc)? If not, Berkeley seems more attractive..

I think most of it comes down to which professor/group you want to work with. Note where the alumni in the group have ended up, since you'll probably have the same opportunities.

I can't answer much of your questions, since I'm just a prospective PhD student. My choice of Berkeley over Stanford was fairly easy, since Stanford only let me pursue a terminal Masters degree.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2017 at 7:20 AM, mike12724 said:

Hello all! I'm currently stuck deciding between the Berkeley EE M.Eng and Stanford EE MS.

Several factors are:

• I'm going to be focusing on robotics, control, and signal processing (in that order, with just a focus in robotics if possible)
  • Berkeley gave me a $20,000 scholarship
  • I can take out student loans, but aren't thrilled about it
  • Does a masters of engineering look worse in industry than a masters of science?
  • Does Stanford really have more prestige than Berkeley when it comes to EE industry?
  • Would I be able to make long-lasting professional connections better in one of them?
  • Ultimately, does one have more hireability than the other?

Thanks

Stanford has more prestige than Berkeley, BUT not by that much and doesn't really matter esp if you are staying in the Bay Area and/or already come from a top notch school.

Go to Berkeley because they gave you $$$, it's simple as that.