Masters in Counseling VS Masters in Social Work

I am new to the Social Work field, recently completing my degree in Sociology and work as a secretary. I going all in and doing the online masters program this fall, but not sure which is best. I understand that MSW and MFTs are in demand but lately I've been offered and told about the increase need of School Social Workers. Almost all schools require a credential program to do this work. Any advise or input? One thread I did find on the topic noted that although there is a need, a Masters in School Counseling is not promising since jobs are very limited.  

Social work is a protected title, so school social workers ARE social workers who have completed a social work program and likely additional hours in their filed placement and licensing to become credentialed by the state board of education. There are school counseling programs as well, but you can certainly pursue school social work in (some but not all) MSW programs. I'd start with the state board of education you want to work and work backwards.

I had the same question, coming from a B.S in psychology, about whether to do a counseling program or MSW. I ultimately decided MSW because there is such a wide array of jobs you can have, including in schools. From my understanding counseling has limited opportunities and is not as in demand.

I also find that SW in comparison to other helping professions tends to have a more macro and social-political explanation to individual distress. SW tends to work and address injustice at multiple levels simultaneously for instance through advocacy and grass-roots social work. Where as psychology and counseling tends to have a more individualistic approach to addressing people's struggles. I guess it depends on your analysis of social problems and what you are more comfortable doing. I would say also that your sociology degree probably gives you that "macro" lens to social issues already. 

Great supportive responses from everyone, thank you!

As an update, I recently met up with a School Counselor who has her Masters in Counseling in School Social work. Here is the low down on this degree:

Masters in Counseling (as some of you mentioned) is limited and MSW can pretty much do their work and more! once they become LCSW's which can easily replace any School Counselor who is limited by a counseling degree. 

The advise given: Get the MSW then do your clinical and as Adelaide9216 mentioned, try to find work within a school to get into school counseling. 

Thank you everyone for responding.