Fall 2010 Admitted/Rejected Thread

agh423

Program Applied To: MA in International Relations, MA in Latin American Studies

Schools Applied To: The University of Chicago, Stanford University, Columbia University

Schools Admitted To: The University of Chicago (1/3 funding)

Schools Rejected From: None

Still Waiting: Stanford, Columbia

Undergraduate institution: Top Public

Undergraduate GPA: 3.8

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.9

Undergraduate Major: History, French

GRE Quantitative Score: 570 (ouch)

GRE Verbal Score: 620

GRE AW Score: 5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2

Years of Work Experience: 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Big firm job in DC

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): LOL, I made a HUGE typo...I'm surprised I got into UofC.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): My profs. loved me so I'm hoping good.

Other: I speak 4 languages fluently (not how Americans like to describe "fluently", but actually fluently and another one semi-fluently.

Program Applied To: MPP, MSPPM

Schools Applied To: Heinz, U. Michigan, University of Georgia (may also apply to GWU, Georgia Tech., SPEA, George Mason, UGA... But probably not)

Schools Admitted To: Heinz

Schools Rejected From: (none yet)

Still Waiting: U. Michigan, U. Georgia

Undergraduate institution: Large public institution, top 50 overall.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.10

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 2.9 - ish

Undergraduate Major: Economics (with a lot of non-required math taken)

GRE Quantitative Score: 750

GRE Verbal Score: 580

GRE AW Score: 4.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 0

Years of Work Experience: 0

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Worked part-time for a local volunteer program, volunteered in Central America for 6 weeks.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think it was really strong. I think I am a very good writer (I didn't finish my GRE AW part, hence a 4.5). My SOP not only stated my goals, etc., but did so by literally weaving together a non-fictional short story with plot, suspense, and an implied moral purpose for each individual's existence (and how my Masters will be a step towards fulfilling this for myself). As well, all three of my recommenders were key characters in my SOP.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): One was from studying abroad... Dude initially didn't actually write a letter of recommendaiton, opting to fill out only the short-answer forms instead. Eventually, though, he decided to write one and email it to them (Heinz) 30 days past the deadline, but he let me see it prior to sending, and it was a gem. Another was from a nationally-known economic professor who, I believe, wrote a very good statement. The third was from a professor from a graduate course that I took at our university's own Public Affairs school... He sent out his recommendation before reading my SOP, seeing my resume, etc... None the less, I think he gave an ordinary recommendation which was probably looked upon favorably at Heinz because it came from a graduate professor.

Other: I took a graduate course, and I think this helped. My GPA was a bit weak, and there were a bit many withrawls, but none the less, I think my curriculum (of economics with a lot of optional math) was more challenging than that of the average applicant's, and the fact that I repeated the courses that I withdrew from and did well made my transcript look "fair" (so not "poor"). I also think my excellent SOP, my good recommendations, my professionally edited resume, and my relatively high GRE scores made me look pretty good in their eyes. I know a lot of people post amazing stats here, but I am willing to bet the average applicant has a 3.6, 580V/640Q, not that much work experience, and not a great SOP... So, don't be too harsh on yourself. Try to make yourself shine in your SOP, and it should serve you well! And I don't know why this is in BOLD! I can't change it, either!

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.) I wanted to attend a school with an MPA program with a specialization in Emergency Management, which definately decreases the amount of schools

Schools Applied To: UC Denver, Seton Hall, North Texas, NDSU, CSU Long Beach

Schools Admitted To: Denver

Schools Rejected From: none yet.

Still Waiting:the rest

Undergraduate institution: University of Washington- by way of Eastern Oregon University and St. Marys College of Maryland

Undergraduate GPA:3.5

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):

Undergraduate Major: Political Science, minor in Earth and Space Science

GRE Quantitative Score:500

GRE Verbal Score:500

GRE AW Score:4- yikesssssss

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):0

Years of Work Experience:0

Describe Relevant Work Experience: internships with state house campaign, us senator, a non profit and now for a city

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): took FOREVER, but I think it ended up good :)

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Made up for my GRES i think:)

Other: GOING TO DENVER:) it was my number 1 choice

Program Applied To: MPA, MPP

Schools Applied To: USC, University of Washington, UCLA, ASU

Schools Admitted To: USC (full)

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: UW, UCLA, ASU

Undergraduate institution: Gonzaga University (Spokane, WA)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.82

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.95

Undergraduate Major: Political Science, minors in History, General Business

GRE Quantitative Score: 760 (85th)

GRE Verbal Score: 690 (96th)

GRE AW Score: 4.5 (63rd)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 1

Years of Work Experience: 0, really

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Volunteering with a refugee resettlement organization. All my other work experience was general office work (Work-Study), house painting, and working retail.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Since I only applied to 4 schools I took a lot of time to make sure each school was a good one for. Then I was able to really tailor each essay to the individual schools, but after the research I'd done it was really easy to say what I liked about the schools, why I thought I'd be a good fit, and how they fit with my career aspirations. The essays themselves weren't particularly strong, especially since I did little to no proofreading, but having each one be highly individilualized helped a lot.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Strong, I guess, based on the recommenders themselves, but I haven't read them.

Other: I studied abroad, but I don't know how much that helped.

Program Applied To: MPA, MPP, JD/MIA, MA Latin American Studies

Schools Applied To: Georgetown MPP/MSFS, Georgetown MALAS, SIPA, SAIS, Syracuse MPA/MIR, UW-Madison, GWU, American (JD/MIA), Denver

Schools Admitted To: Georgetown MPP (10K), American JD (10K), Denver (10K), Syracuse (no word on money yet), UW-Madison (waitlisted for funding)

Schools Rejected From:none yet

Still Waiting: Georgetown MSFS and MALAS, SIPA, SAIS, GWU, American MIA

Undergraduate institution: University of Wisconsin-Madison (go Badgers!)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.67

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): ???

Undergraduate Major: Sociology/Spanish

GRE Quantitative Score: 730

GRE Verbal Score: 650

GRE AW Score: 5.0

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 5

Years of Work Experience: 5

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Immigration Law, Governor of the State of Wisconsin (Leg/Policy and External Affairs), year abroad working for an NGO in Chile, Coordinator at a small private liberal arts college (Study Abroad, International Student Services and Diversity Initiatives)

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I focused on my policy experience and my international work experience. Took about a month to write, had about six people read them over including a few professors.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): A few of the letters were so-so, a few were generic, at least two were stellar (I used about 8 different recommendors because I felt that different people were more appropriate for certain programs/schools)

Other: It's really going to come down to money for me, I'm hoping that I get a FLAS or a large® scholarship at some of the schools I haven't heard from yet. I'm not willing to pay 100k for a 2 year master's degree only to work for the Federal Government for the rest of my life earning less than 70k a year... On a side note I'm one step away from passing the foreign service exam process so I may have some interesting decisions in April.

Good luck to all!

Program Applied To: MPA (MPA, MALD, IR)

Schools Applied : Fletcher, HKS, SIPA, SAIS, Georgetown, LSE

Schools Admitted To: Fletcher, SIPA

Still Waiting: The rest

Undergraduate institution: Shri Ram College of Commerce, one of India's top undergrad institutions

Undergraduate GPA: First grade

Gaduate institution: Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, one of India's top grad B schools

Graduate GPA (if applicable): 3.73

Major: International Business, Finance

GRE Quantitative Score: 790

GRE Verbal Score: 710

GRE AW Score: 6.0

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):5

Years of Work Experience: 3

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Work in the Risk Managment division of a top US investment bank in India. Travel to the US frequently for work.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Covered my experiences in a developing country and mapped them to my experiences internationally (exchange studies in Finland and work experience in New York). Stressed on community work with an NGO. Consistent academic record with several scholarships.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Great letter from my senior at work, great letter from corporate law prof at SRCC

Waiting for the other results and hoping for good funding.

Program Applied To: MPA, MPP

Schools Applied To: American (MPA), George Washington (MPA), Harvard (MPP), Syracuse (MPA), Princeton (MPA), UNC (MPA), UCal-Berkeley (MPP), Maryland (MPP)

Schools Admitted To: American, George Washington, Maryland

Schools Rejected From: none... yet

Still Waiting: Harvard, Syracuse, Princeton, UNC, UCal-Berkeley

Undergraduate institution: Brandeis

Undergraduate GPA: 3.79

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):

Undergraduate Major: Politics, French and Francophone Studies

GRE Quantitative Score: 770

GRE Verbal Score: 670

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): none

Years of Work Experience: N/A

Describe Relevant Work Experience: none out of undergrad, but 2 summer internships with my congressman in his district office and 1 summer internship with a thinktank in D.C.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I don't think my SOP was either outstanding or terrible. I was honest and wrote about my desire to hold elected office someday and my ability to accomplish what I've done so far with no real help through connections.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): 1 from a professor who is my senior thesis advisor and 1 from my internship director in D.C. (I didn't read either of these because they were submitted online but I'm sure they're well-written). A third LOR from the district director of the congressman's office where I interned. I think it was well-written and accurate.

Other: I studied abroad for a full year in Paris and took classes at Sciences Po, a prestigious political university. I also co-founded Brandeis Students for Barack Obama on campus.

Program Applied To: MPA (MPA, MALD, IR)

Schools Applied : Fletcher, HKS, SIPA, SAIS, Georgetown, LSE

Schools Admitted To: Fletcher, SIPA

Still Waiting: The rest

Undergraduate institution: Shri Ram College of Commerce, one of India's top undergrad institutions

Undergraduate GPA: First grade

Gaduate institution: Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, one of India's top grad B schools

Graduate GPA (if applicable): 3.73

Major: International Business, Finance

GRE Verbal Score: 710

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):5

Years of Work Experience: 3

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Work in the Risk Managment division of a top US investment bank in India. Travel to the US frequently for work.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Covered my experiences in a developing country and mapped them to my experiences internationally (exchange studies in Finland and work experience in New York). Stressed on community work with an NGO. Consistent academic record with several scholarships.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Great letter from my senior at work, great letter from corporate law prof at SRCC

Waiting for the other results and hoping for good funding.

Congrats on your acceptances! When did you hear back from Fletcher? It's the last school that I'm waiting for.

Program Applied To: MPA/MPP

Schools Applied To: CUNY-Baruch SPA, NYU-Wagner

Schools Admitted To: NYU-Wagner, CUNY-Baruch SPA

Undergraduate institution: Old Dominion University

Undergraduate GPA:2.7something

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):3.2ish

Undergraduate Major:B.A. Geography, Minors PoliSci and Economics

Former Graduate institution: University of Illinois at Chicago

Graduate GPA: 3.67

Program: Urban Planning (completed 20 of the 60 units), no degree

GRE Quantitative Score: 470. eek

GRE Verbal Score: 620

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 13 years

Years of Work Experience: 12+, 8 relevant

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Americorp Volunteer for one year, worked in the education and energy sectors until 2002. Wide array of planning, policy development and research work for several California jurisdictions, one Oregon county and the Census Bureau on virtually every topic under the sun. Progressively more responsible work assignments. Worked political campaigns, was campaign strategist/assistant Campaign manager on a race most recently in 2008. Advisor to a mayor on sustainability matters. Detailed research projects and computer modeling. Excellent computer skills.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Average to maybe slightly above. Spent a lot of time on this, but NOT enough as I wanted due to other obligations. Had my essay edited by a former clerical staff person with editorial background.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Good to great. One is my current supervisor, the other my former one. Stature of LOR good, so to are the comments. No academic LOR due to my distance from UG

Other: Non-traditional student in mid 30s trying to get a management degree and job connections to make the next step in my career. Masters are required for management level staff. Oddly enough, a Wagner advisor asked me if I had considered their XMPA program. I have not and will not due to a lack of managerial experience. (5 is required, I have less than one, not relevant to field.)

Edited by pea-jay

Since we can't edit our posts, I will just say I heard back from Columbia and was wait-listed. So, let that be a beacon of hope for those weaker applicants with lower GPAs applying to top programs--all hope is not lost! Should be hearing back from UCSD any day...

Program Applied To: MPIA, MIA

Schools Applied To: UCSD IR/PS, Columbia SIPA

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

School Wait Listed At: Columbia SIPA

Still Waiting: UCSD IR/PS

Undergraduate institution: University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus

Undergraduate GPA: 3.12

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): Unknown

Undergraduate Major: Chemical Engineering, Chemistry

GRE Quantitative Score: 730

GRE Verbal Score: 520

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Two years teaching in Japan with the JET Program; not "relevant" per se, but relevant in the context of international experience and working towards my goal of a Japan-focused career.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Had a really strong, defined one for UCSD, and felt that the SoP, along with the supplemental essays, really gave the admissions committee a pretty comprehensive overview of myself. I feel quite strongly about my UCSD SoP, essays, and overall application, despite it being the first school I applied to. When I sat down to write my SoP for Columbia, I struggled; the format was much different (broken into three questions, with a 400 word limit for describing my background, goals, etc., a 400 word limit to discuss my most significant volunteer experience, and 200 words to tell the admissions committee anything else I wanted. The latter two parts came out well I think, albeit with short word limits, but I really struggled to squeeze everything about my goals, how my background has prepared me for graduate study, people I want to work with, etc., into those first 400 words while still managing to sound strong. I also would've liked to expand a little more on that last 200 word section, as that's really only about two paragraphs of information.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): One should be glowing from an East Asian studies professor of mine who went to Cornell, one should be pretty good from a history PhD who was my supervisor at my campus job in a demographic research office where I worked for three years as an undergraduate, but in retrospect I think the third one, written by a chemical engineering professor of mine, will be very blah, and I wish I would've asked someone else, although I didn't see the letters so I can't say.

Other: I spent two years as an undergraduate volunteering in a Japanese garden, and as mentioned spent three years in a demographic office doing research. My undergraduate program is a top-three chemical engineering program at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, notorious for grade deflation (I got a C in calculus 3, with a final grade of about 82%...), though going into IR, I can't imagine the committees would know either of those facts. Also as an undergraduate I held a graduate student teaching assistantship for two semesters being a lab T/A for general chemistry, which was another step towards JET, and another step towards my goal of a Japan-oriented career. I also took as many East Asia studies courses as I could shoulder on top of my engineering coursework, including beginning Japanese. I also have proficiency in German, as indicated by a proficiency test at my college after two years of study. Between being a T/A and my undergraduate research position, and another job prior to being a T/A, I worked 40 hours a week throughout college to support my mom and myself which forced me to make substantial academic sacrifices. Furthermore, my mom died of brain and lung cancer as an undergraduate at the onset of my junior, and coincidentally most difficult year in the chemical engineering program. Needless to say, my last two years saw a bit of a downward trend. I should also say that I am turning 26 this month, as I was in school for six years because I switched from liberal arts to engineering after 1.5 years, so I graduated with 181 credits.

Edited by gazelle

Program Applied To: MPP

Schools Applied To: American, Arizona State, George Washington, Georgetown

Schools Admitted To: American, Arizona State, George Washington, Georgetown

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: Jesuit school in the midwest

Undergraduate GPA: 3.66

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.82

Undergraduate Major: Economics, International Business

GRE Quantitative Score: 770 (87%)

GRE Verbal Score: 580 (82%)

GRE AW Score: 4.5 (62%)

Years of Work Experience: 1

Describe Relevant Work Experience: One year with AmeriCorps

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I thought they were pretty strong. I did have about 4-5 people on these boards critique them and give feedback, which I suggest everyone do.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): I got 2 from Econ professors who I took for a total of 5 classes and a supervisor from a place I volunteered with in my undergrad. I was scared to ask some of them with being just a few months out of undergrad, but I'm glad I did. Don't be afraid to ask! Some one said no to me and it was okay!!

Other: I didn't think I could have gotten into the schools that I did, so go ahead and apply to where ever you want!! You could get in. Good luck!

Program Applied To: MPP

Schools Applied To: American, Arizona State, George Washington, Georgetown

Schools Admitted To: American, Arizona State, George Washington, Georgetown

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: Jesuit school in the midwest

Undergraduate GPA: 3.66

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.82

Undergraduate Major: Economics, International Business

GRE Quantitative Score: 770 (87%)

GRE Verbal Score: 580 (82%)

GRE AW Score: 4.5 (62%)

Years of Work Experience: 1

Describe Relevant Work Experience: One year with AmeriCorps

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I thought they were pretty strong. I did have about 4-5 people on these boards critique them and give feedback, which I suggest everyone do.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): I got 2 from Econ professors who I took for a total of 5 classes and a supervisor from a place I volunteered with in my undergrad. I was scared to ask some of them with being just a few months out of undergrad, but I'm glad I did. Don't be afraid to ask! Some one said no to me and it was okay!!

Other: I didn't think I could have gotten into the schools that I did, so go ahead and apply to where ever you want!! You could get in. Good luck!

Congrats on your acceptances! Do you know where you're going yet?

Program Applied To: (All domestic: MPA, MPP, MSPPM)

Schools Applied To: Heinz, Maxwell, GPPI, NYU, UW Madison, Hopkins, SPEA, SIPA, Brandeis, Ford School, Harris School, Evans

Schools Admitted To: Maxwell

Schools Rejected From: (none yet)

Still Waiting: Heinz, GPPI, NYU, UW Madison, Hopkins, SPEA, SIPA, Brandeis, Ford School, Harris School, Evans

Undergraduate institution: Small public school

Undergraduate GPA: 3.02

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): Prob the same - 3.0ish

Undergraduate Major: Humanities

GRE Quantitative Score: 710

GRE Verbal Score: 630

GRE AW Score: 3

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4

Years of Work Experience: 4 (around 6 if you want to count internships)

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I work for a large research org with a range of federal clients

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I really like my SOP and I had a team of friends edit and give me feedback. Two of which have MPPs.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): One from first job, one from professor and one from my current job. I made sure to be super organized and gave each a write up to help guide them on what I am up to currently and some of the highlights of my time working with each of them.

Other: I never thought I'd get into Maxwell! Goes to show that grades aren't everything.

I just got into Maxwell with a 2.4ish undergrad GPA in engineering. :P However, when I spoke to the admissions department they said that the GRE is weighted very heavily... I had a 1550 (800 V/750 Q/5 AWA) so I guess that made up some of it... looks like you had great GRE scores too so that's probably what made the difference for both of us. I've been taking policy courses at my local uni and have a 4.0 GPA there and had some circumstances causing the crappy GPA that I explained, so those probably helped too. I'm really happy - Maxwell's a great school :D but yeah, grades definitely aren't everything, especially if you can make up for it in other ways! :)

Congrats! Maybe we'll see each other there in er... June o.O

Edited by kabutar

Program Applied To: MPA in Development Practice (it's my dream school/program. there was no consolation so i only applied there)

Schools Applied To: Columbia SIPA

Schools Admitted To: Columbia SIPA

Schools Rejected From: N/A

Still Waiting: N/A

Undergraduate institution: Fordham University (Bronx, NY)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.417 (Major 3.7)

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): not sure. probably 3.6 ish.

Undergraduate Major: Marketing

GRE Quantitative Score: 730 (78%)

GRE Verbal Score: 620 (89%)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): nearly 4

Years of Work Experience: 2 in market research, 2 in US Peace Corps (Fiji)

Describe Relevant Work Experience: My peace corps program is interdisciplinary so i work on environment, business, health and institutional infrastructure development with a fijian NGO. I worked for almost two years as a research analyst for a large magazine corporation. Not directly related but I feel it proved my quantitative ability.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think they were very strong. Mostly leaning on my peace corps experience and extensive domestic and international community service background.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Not sure. All favorable but no big names. One writer was a National Urban Fellow.

Other: Academically, I had several distinctions. I had tons of long and short-term community service. I did HIV/AIDS awareness and outreach in south afrika, was a live-in residential assistant in a women's shelter for hurricane katrina survivors and was heavily involved with tertiary education preparation for inner-city and "at-risk" populations.

I am committed to development and empowering people to improve their qualities of life as they see fit. I think that shone through in every aspect of my application.

Program Applied To: MPA

Schools Applied To: NYU Wagner, USC SPPD, GWU TSPPPA

Schools Admitted To: NYU Wagner, USC SPPD, GWU TSPPPA

Schools Rejected From: n/a

Still Waiting: none

Undergraduate institution: 

Undergraduate GPA: 3.523

Undergraduate Major: Politics and Sociology

GRE Quantitative Score: 760 (85%)

GRE Verbal Score: 570 (80%)

GRE AW Score: 5 (81%)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 7

Years of Work Experience: 7

Describe Relevant Work Experience: For the first two years after college I was in City Year (AmeriCorps), creating a service-learning program for middle school students and recruiting others to participate in City Year. For the past 5 years I have been working on a college campus for a nonprofit organization, advising student leaders, creating community experiences, leading service learning trips, and overseeing a student run camp for children whose parents have or had cancer.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I worked quite a bit on my SOP, going through many drafts (and actually writing it once before scraping it and starting over). I had a lot of people look at it and provide feedback. I think it could have been a bit stronger, more specific, but then again, other than knowing I want to work in nonprofits I can't drill down much more specifically than that right now.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): One was from the Executive Director of my current nonprofit who knows me quite well and wrote a beautiful and impassioned letter on my behalf. One was from a professor from undergrad who I think wrote a strong letter, but hard to say. One was from a former colleague and was pretty emphatic.

Program Applied To: MPA in Development Practice (it's my dream school/program. there was no consolation so i only applied there)

Schools Applied To: Columbia SIPA

Schools Admitted To: Columbia SIPA

Congratulations keondra!

Program Applied To: Varied depending on the school, but looking to concentrate in International Development

Schools Applied To: WWS MPA, Fletcher MALD, SIS MAID, Elliott MAIDS

Schools Admitted To: Fletcher with 7k

Schools Rejected From: WWS

Still Waiting: SIS, Elliott

Undergraduate institution: Duke

Undergraduate GPA: 3.79

Undergraduate Major: Poli Sci

GRE Verbal Score: 790

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Since undergrad, I've been teaching at an international school in the Middle East. Not directly relevant, but it's international experience and I teach a high school course on international issues. Also, I did a summer internship during college with a microfinance institution in India, and have done various volunteer projects in the Middle East.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think it was quite strong, and had a number of people edit it, but doesn't everybody? Writing does tend to be one of my strengths, so I would say overall it was probably very good but not knock-your-socks-off spectacular.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Not sure, probably could have been stronger. Two professors from college, one of whom I knew quite well (probably a very strong letter) but one of whom I was not as close to, and which may have been a little generic. I also got a letter from my assistant principal at work, which was likely quite favorable, but which of course would have been better coming from a professional in IR or IDev.

Other: I never took any intro econ courses, but plan to take them either online or at a local college before I attend. Also, I am hoping that a high GRE quant as well as the fact that I taught an econ half-credit course on microfinance my senior year can make up for a lack of intro classes.

Hmm can't edit posts... here's my rather depressing update....

Program Applied To: MPA, MALD, MAPP, International Development

Schools Applied To:

WWS Princeton

Tufts Fletcher

American SIS

NYU Wagner

Mundus MAPP (European joint university masters degree)

Australian National University (ANU)

Schools Admitted To:

None yet :(

Schools Rejected From:

Mundus MAPP, WWS Princeton, Tufts Fletcher :(

Still Waiting:

ANU, NYU, American SIS

Undergraduate institution: University of Technology, Sydney (including a semester abroad at University of Westminster, London)

Undergraduate GPA: N/A but guesstimate from WES was 3.7

Undergraduate Major: Communications (Journalism)

GRE Quantitative Score: 680

GRE Verbal Score: 580

GRE AW Score: 5.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3.5

Years of Work Experience: 4

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 1.5 years working in Indonesia on a newspaper, 2 years working at a local newspaper in Sydney on political and urban development rounds, 6 months on another newspaper, more than 1.5 years volunteering for community and non-profit media

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think my statement of purpose was strong, linking my experience working in Indonesia and my journalism background to my desire to study the field, but I think my policy statement for WWS was weak because I've never done one before. There was so much more I could have said in the SOP, so I hope I chose the right things to focus on.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): One from the head of my former uni's journo school, two from former editors. I think they all would be strong, all three know me well and are very awesome people. :)

Other: Indonesian language to intermediate-ish level

Program Applied To: A little bit of everything.....

Schools Applied To:

USC Masters in Public Diplomacy

Georgetown MAGES

LBJ school Masters of Global Policy Studies (bc I live in Austin currently and LOVE IT)

SAIS

Penn FELS Masters of Governmental Administration

Fletcher school: MALD

SIS (Comparative and Regional Studies in Russia and Central Eurasia)

Central European University Masters in IR and European Studies

European University at St. Petersburg MA in Russian and Eurasian Studies

University of Amsterdam MS IR

Schools Admitted To:

USC Masters in Public Diplomacy

Georgetown MAGES

LBJ school Masters of Global Policy Studies (bc I live in Austin currently and LOVE IT)

Penn FELS Masters of Governmental Administration

Schools Rejected From:

none yet...though waitlisted at Tufts!

Still Waiting:

On SAIS and SIS, plus the European schools, which I won't hear from until AFTER I tell an American school I accept their offer....

Undergraduate institution: Penn- BA in Classical Studies, minor in Italian plus 7 months abroad in Rome

Undergraduate GPA: 3.6

GRE Quantitative Score: 650

GRE Verbal Score: 700

GRE AW Score: 4

Years of Work Experience: 2 relevant years!

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I've worked for 5 years as a waitress, barista, baker, etc to pay the bills, and LOVE these jobs as I tell all my schools. But last year I also interned at a language institute and the YMCA facilitating an after-school tutoring program for middle schoolers that I rocked at. And this year I'm an AmeriCorps VISTA in Austin, TX working at United Way in their early childhood initiatives, which I also rock at.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think that my SOP is really what made me shine to the schools I got into. I want to work for the state department in public diplomacy, and that's why I'm going to graduate school. I have a strong interest in language (took 4 different ones through the last few years as pretty much all of my electives), and have travelled the world through various agencies, like Girl Scouting, study abroad, exchange programs, symphony tours, etc etc etc. I linked my strong international experience and desires to explore other cultures to my past studies and my realization of what I want to do now. My SOP pretty much said, 'this is who I am, this is what I want, and it's up to you to decide whether or not your program is my vehicle to acheive those goals'

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): I actually only read one of my letters, from my current boss at United Way. My other two were professors- a Classics professor that I loved and did great work in his class in critical thinking, and an Italian professor I took two classes with. She actually emailed me back saying that I had earned Bs in her classes, so was I sure? I explained to her why I didn't care about my grammar and that I wanted her to speak to my desire to communicate in Italian (even if it wasn't that well!)

Other: For me the BIGGEST factor will be funding.....Penn offered me 6K, which seems to be a drop in the bucket, especially since it is towards the bottom of my list. Europe would be GREAT, plus living in a place like Budapest would cost 1/5 of what it would to live in DC.....so I'm torn and while I've gotten admission letters, I need to get more financial aid packages before I can actually decide!

Edited by Rachel C

Program Applied To: MPA (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.)

Schools Applied WWS

Schools Admitted To: WWS

Undergraduate institution:Swarthmore

Undergraduate GPA: 3.7

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): About same

Undergraduate Major: Biology (graduated in 3 years)

(Also M.Ed. in Science Education, Brooklyn College, 3.93)

GRE Quantitative Score: 800

GRE Verbal Score: 800

GRE AW Score:5.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):10

Years of Work Experience:11

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 1 year CityYear Americorps, 2 years Teach for America corps member in South Bronx, 6 years as founding science teacher at new public school in Manhattan, 2 years as a high school Biology/Environmental Science teacher out in the burbs. I was also a TFA advisor and an instructor for some science education courses along the way.

I live fairly close to WWS, and with a hefty mortgage and two small kids, I'm not eager or able to move away for grad school, or to pay for grad school for that matter. I applied last year to the mid-career MPP program, and was wait-listed.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Trying to condense 11 years of experience into a single 1000 word narrative is challenging. I think I did a better job of it this year than last, emphasizing my perspective more than my accomplishments, and trying to keep things focused on a single theme, of science education for citizenship.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Great letter from NY principal, great letter from biology prof at Brooklyn I did research with, decent letter from current principal (he likes me a lot, but he's not the best writer...)

Other: Before I applied last year, I had a gut feeling that I stacked up better against the MPA applicants than the mid-career applicants, especially academic record seemed to be stressed more in the MPA pool.

Update: Admitted to WWS. Second time's the charm! Now, I'm wondering if I'm insane to leave a job in this economy...Time will tell!

Edited by spottedtoad

Program Applied To: MPP, MPA

Schools Applied: AU SPA, GWU Trachtenberg, Cornell CIPA, Duke Sanford, Berkeley GSPP, UW-Madison La Folette, UT-Austin LBJ, UW Evans, Michigan Ford

Schools Admitted To: AU SPA, GWU Trachtenberg, Cornell CIPA, Duke Sanford, UW-Madison La Folette, UT-Austin LBJ, Michigan Ford

Schools Rejected From: Berkeley GSPP

Still Waiting: UW Evans

Undergraduate institution: Top ten liberal arts college

Undergraduate GPA: 3.68

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.7

Undergraduate Major: Political Science/International Relations

GRE Quantitative Score: 670

GRE Verbal Score: 700

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4

Years of Work Experience: 4

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 4 years at a government agency, two of which I spent as a paralegal and two as a program assistant.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I have always been a strong writer, so certainly above average. I think I did a good job weaving together my undergraduate training, study abroad experience, and current work experiences into a pretty cohesive narrative that explained why I felt the degree was right for me.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): One from my thesis advisor in undergrad. I did not see the letter but assume it was strong since I recieved honors for my thesis. Two from work supervisors -- one was very good, the other was fairly generic.

If I had to do this all again, I would have saved myself some time and money by applying to fewer schools. However, I was worried about the economy and afraid my quant background would be too weak. Actually, it's probably fine (I took intro micro/macro, stats, and used SPSS and regression analysis in my thesis), but I just didn't know what to expect, so I cast a wide net. Now I am trying to figure out how to narrow things down and plan visits. Money is also a factor, of course, and I am still waiting to hear about funding from several schools.

Programs: MPA or MPP, depending on the school

Schools Applied To: JHU (SAIS-Bologna), Syracuse (Maxwell-MPA), GWU (MPP-0k), American (MPP), Seton Hall (Whitehead - MPP), Cornell (CIPA - MPA, 27k-yr), Harvard (KSG - MPP), Michigan (Ford-MPP), Pardee RAND (PhD - Policy Analysis)

Schools Admitted To: JHU Bologna, Syracuse, GWU, American, Cornell, Seton Hall

Schools Rejected From: Pardee RAND

Waitlisted: Duke, Michigan

Still Waiting: Harvard KSG, Also waiting for financial information from mostly all schools

Undergraduate institution: Maryland - College Park (Criminology and Criminal Justice)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.4

GRE Quantitative Score: 770

GRE Verbal Score: 540

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I have spent two years in the Teach for America program teaching Economics, which I am pretty sure has been the key to my acceptances. I also took on some leadership roles within TFA that have helped as well. During college I had strong leadership experience in organizations along with some service-related roles.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I focused on how I wanted to use my experience and public policy degree to help analyze crime statistics and draft policy to address the issues on a national and/or international scale. I was able to write about the lessons I learned in the classroom, and how that made me see the problems first hand instead of just reading about them. I am a decent writer, but other than that I simply described my work experience and future goals.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): All of my letters of recommendation were from current employers, as I was a student who sat in the back in most of my classes, but did pretty well. Looking back, this is definitely NOT recommended. The letters that I got were excellent - and from high level managers within my organization. These definitely played a part in schools looking for dedicated and hard-working people.

Decision: As of now, I am struggling to decide between the Syracuse Maxwell program and SAIS in Bologna. Money will play a part, as Maxwell's program can be completed in about a year instead of two, and is less expensive either way. It will be hard to turn down a year of Bologna, since I never got to go abroad in college. I will also pay a visit to Cornell due to the generous scholarship opportunity. Looking really for the program that is going to train me in properly using data in a way that transfers to policy jobs in the US and abroad.

Program Applied To: MPA, MPP, MEM

Schools Applied To: Cornell (CIPA), Duke (Nicholas), Duke (Sanford), UC Berkeley (GSPP), U Chicago (Harris), Yale (FES)

Schools Admitted To: Cornell ($28K), Duke Nicholas ($14K), Duke Sanford ($10K), U Chicago Harris (No Funding)

Schools Rejected From: UC Berkeley (GSPP), Yale (FES)

Still Waiting: None

Decision: Duke Nicholas School

Undergraduate institution: Big State School

Undergraduate GPA: 3.99

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 4.0

Undergraduate Major: Political Science/German

GRE Quantitative Score: 770 (88th %ile)

GRE Verbal Score: 720 (98 %ile)

GRE AW Score: 5.0 (%81 %ile)

Years of Work Experience: 1.5

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 10 months in corporate-government relations in an unrelated field, 8 months at an environmental consulting firm in Germany

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Berkeley was certainly the curse of the first application, due at least one month before all the others. In retrospect, my essay for Berkeley had some good content but lacked focus. I think this mediocre personal statement helped move my application into the reject pile. The Sanford School had a similar essay format (both 3-5 pages), but the deadline was five weeks after Berkeley's, giving me time to revise the essay. I used an altogether different essay format for Cornell, Duke Nicholas, U Chicago and Yale and I thought this essay was quite strong. I think the word limits (between 500-800) suited better my concise writing style.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for those looking to glean lessons from my application process, getting LOR's was very easy and all of my letter writers were eager to help me. One was a former professor who told me she wanted to write me an LOR for grad school before I even asked.

Other: I would be lying if I said I weren't disappointed to have my application rejected from two schools, however I had been planning for four years to enter graduate school in the Fall of 2010, so I knew my work experience would be a relative weak point for these professional programs. That being said, The Nicholas School extended me an attractive offer (approximately half-tuition) and the MEM curriculum fits my interests well. I am excited to enroll at Duke in the Fall.

Programs: MA

Schools Applied To: JHU (SAIS - ERE Program)

Schools Admitted To: JHU (SAIS - ERE Program)

Schools Rejected From: -

Waitlisted: -

Still Waiting: -

Undergraduate institution: Top Tier Canadian

Undergraduate GPA: 3.73

GMAT Quantitative Score: 50

GMAT Verbal Score: 41

GMAT AWA Score: 6.0

GMAT Overall Score: 750

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Two years working for a niche consulting firm - broad industry exposure, but most concentrated work in health care, alternative energy.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Didn't discuss my accomplishments as much as what my career trajectory has been and would be following the program. I think in this way the Adcom can immediately identify whether or not you are a fit for the program (something you should very much consider before applying).

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): One letter from the director of my undergraduate program, one letter from the principal of my current firm. I was actually quite nervous about getting a professional reference. If you can articulate why a move back to grad school is the right decision, you should be fine.

Decision: Waiting on funding and non-SAIS fellowships but will likely accept SAIS.