Alternate fields/career paths

Trying to think of another field I could possibly go into. Thought about BCBA but I don't think that will work out for me after all. Anyone happen to know any info about Music or Art Therapy? I haven't gotten to researching it yet but will definitely do that this week. Does anyone know if there's a demand for those jobs or what the pay is like or what education is necessary? I'm in NY but any info would be appreciated. 

29 minutes ago, edardi1 said:

Could you be an SLP/A?  

If you could sit for the BCBA exam and you like working with kids with autism, I would go for it. 

I wish I could be an SLPA but there is no such thing here in NY ?. And I was looking into the BCBA requirements and it just sort of seems like it would be a lot of work (1500 hours of supervised experience, etc). I think we only need 375 hours of observation for SLP MA degree so idk, 1500 seems a bit much to me 

47 minutes ago, SpeechLaedy said:

I wish I could be an SLPA but there is no such thing here in NY ?. And I was looking into the BCBA requirements and it just sort of seems like it would be a lot of work (1500 hours of supervised experience, etc). I think we only need 375 hours of observation for SLP MA degree so idk, 1500 seems a bit much to me 

well if you've ever done ABA therapy, it should count for the experience, right?  At least I would think.  

And if you have nothing tying you down in NY, I would definitely move so you could be an SLPA.  

I don't know anything about Music or Art therapy, but it seems like such a waste of money for a degree you don't really want that much. 

I know a couple of music therapists. They adore their jobs, and they were both very passionate about music before starting their profession (I think in art and music therapy, most people will have a strong passion for either field before going into it). I am not sure if this is true across the board, but I think it is harder to find a music therapy 9-5 job. My cousin's wife did find a job like this in Arizona, but I can't say how readily available they are. I am pretty sure you need to sit for a certification exam for both art and music therapy.

I am not sure where your interests lie (is it language, behavior, or therapy in general?) but someone on this forum told me about being a hearing aid dispenser. You make good money doing it, too. More info can be found on ASHA's website: http://www.asha.org/Advocacy/state/info/CO/Colorado-Hearing-Aid-Dispensing-Requirements/. I don't think you're going to get around putting in a lot of time for this job, though.

Have you thought about ABA (is this the same as BCBA?), OTA, or special education?

A few (read: many) times during my stressful application process, I considered switching.  It eventually worked out, but I found this site very helpful: http://speech.buffalostate.edu/sites/speech.buffalostate.edu/files/uploads/Documents/CareerAlternativestoSLP.pdf

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose!

I worked at an Autism Center with many graduate students working on their hours. The nice thing is that you can get your supervision hours while you work full-time for an agency, so you can still earn some decent money while working toward becoming a BCBA. Additionally, there are a good number of online ABA programs. I had coworkers working full-time for their hours while doing an online program. It was tough, but they were getting it done. If you do decide to go the BCBA route, I would advise making sure whatever agency you work for when completing your hours is solid and consistent in providing supervision and support.

I found this site with a great list of alternative careers: http://csd.hhd.psu.edu/undergraduate/Alternative-Careers-CSD-degree 

Best of luck to you with whatever path you choose! 

37 minutes ago, pbandj said:

I worked at an Autism Center with many graduate students working on their hours. The nice thing is that you can get your supervision hours while you work full-time for an agency, so you can still earn some decent money while working toward becoming a BCBA. Additionally, there are a good number of online ABA programs. I had coworkers working full-time for their hours while doing an online program. It was tough, but they were getting it done. If you do decide to go the BCBA route, I would advise making sure whatever agency you work for when completing your hours is solid and consistent in providing supervision and support.

I found this site with a great list of alternative careers: http://csd.hhd.psu.edu/undergraduate/Alternative-Careers-CSD-degree 

Best of luck to you with whatever path you choose! 

It takes about 13 months to get all of your hours while working at an ABA center. At mine, the ones who are in their master's programs work as assistant program manager's while they work on their master's online.

I'm not aware of any health insurance companies that pay for music therapy unless the music therapist is a licensed SLP or psychologist/counselor who can bill under that coding. There was also a music therapist who taught at my daughter's special ed preschool but she had a dual degree in music education and a state teaching credential.

If you absolutely loved the idea of being a music therapist, I would say that it is possible to have a successful career as one, but you would almost certainly need a dual degree in something like education, psychology, or SLP.

WOW! Thank you ALL for the absolute abundance of information! I really truly appreciate it. @edardi1 I actually have numerous ties to NY right now that prevent me from moving. So that is not possible at this time. I wish I could move though since NY is so expensive and all the schools are extremely competitive with awfully low acceptance rates.  @CCCaffeinated-SLP I took a peek at that document and it looks like it's tailor made for someone like me struggling to figure out whether or not to continue in this vein or not. @pbandj thanks for sharing that info about the online programs and especially the list of alternative careers. I'll have to look at that today @maurmaur wow that really seems like a lot of work smh. Too much work I should say. So after their masters degree it takes them an additional 13 months, or is it included in their 2 yrs if they get the hours while in the masters program? @Crimson Wife that is a great point you made! I never even thought of that. However, this now makes me wonder if it is possible to have a dual masters degree in Speech and Music Therapy (this sounds like an immense/stressful amount of schoolwork if it is even possible though) 

I have actually done a lot of research and done a lot of thinking based on what what you all have brought to my attention, and I really think it would be the best thing to go with my gut right now. And my gut says to not give up on becoming an SLP. My dad brought up a good point to me this week that I'm not in this alone - with me AND also my husband helping to finance more applications (if it becomes necessary), I should be just fine. I would need to get a higher paying job though if I end up needing to reapply. But that's another post for another day ?

Point is - if it's financially feasible for me to pursue my dreams... Why not do it?! Thank you again everyone!!! ❤

So glad to hear about your decision! Reading your other thread, it seems like you are well-prepared to revamp your applications and go another round, if necessary. You have a great support system behind you and determination, which will help you get so far :) Best of luck to you! I hope you hear back good news from the programs that haven't contacted you yet!

On 4/12/2017 at 0:07 PM, pbandj said:

So glad to hear about your decision! Reading your other thread, it seems like you are well-prepared to revamp your applications and go another round, if necessary. You have a great support system behind you and determination, which will help you get so far :) Best of luck to you! I hope you hear back good news from the programs that haven't contacted you yet!

Thank you! ? So do I!