Hey!

Just got accepted to Eastern Michigan University's SLP Masters program starting in January 2018 (on the 3 year track, not the 2.) 

Undergrad GPA: 3.9
Dental School GPA (long-story lol): 3.8

GRE Verbal: 159, GRE Quantitative: 154

If anyone else got accepted and reads this, let me know! I would love to get a Facebook group together or something.

On 10/9/2017 at 11:18 AM, speechpeach04 said:

Hey!

Just got accepted to Eastern Michigan University's SLP Masters program starting in January 2018 (on the 3 year track, not the 2.) 

Undergrad GPA: 3.9
Dental School GPA (long-story lol): 3.8

GRE Verbal: 159, GRE Quantitative: 154

If anyone else got accepted and reads this, let me know! I would love to get a Facebook group together or something.

Hi SpeechPeach04,

I just got accepted too for EMU Spring 18! I'm also looking for the FB group. I think you should start it!

It looks like there's a lot of mix in this forum between Canadian and USA applications. Since they're so different, would it be helpful if those of us in Canada started a different thread? I don't want to take away from this one, but I feel it would be more straightforward for us.

Question about calculating our subGPAs for ORPAS:

ORPAS requires us to sumbit our marks from our last 20 course lengths. For me, I know my first 14 course lengths will come from this current semester's marks, all of last year's marks, and my marks from the summer semester before that.

However, my last 6 course lengths will need to be extracted from the year before that (2015/2016). I took 2 full year courses that year, as well as 1 half year course in Fall semester and 3 half year courses in second semester. 

Does anyone understand which marks I should use when calculating my subGPA? Like should I take my average from the entire year of 2015/2016, or should I just use my winter courses and then only average my marks from the fall semester?

Any help would be very very much appreciated! :)

3 minutes ago, speech12345 said:

Question about calculating our subGPAs for ORPAS:

ORPAS requires us to sumbit our marks from our last 20 course lengths. For me, I know my first 14 course lengths will come from this current semester's marks, all of last year's marks, and my marks from the summer semester before that.

However, my last 6 course lengths will need to be extracted from the year before that (2015/2016). I took 2 full year courses that year, as well as 1 half year course in Fall semester and 3 half year courses in second semester. 

Does anyone understand which marks I should use when calculating my subGPA? Like should I take my average from the entire year of 2015/2016, or should I just use my winter courses and then only average my marks from the fall semester?

Any help would be very very much appreciated! :)

your subGPA should be all your courses that you took at your university (fall/winter/summer) regardless if you took time off.

Orpas will calculate your GPA for you in january after the application deadline. Just focus on applying.

12 hours ago, SLPhopeful1 said:

It looks like there's a lot of mix in this forum between Canadian and USA applications. Since they're so different, would it be helpful if those of us in Canada started a different thread? I don't want to take away from this one, but I feel it would be more straightforward for us.

I aggree, Canadians students should have their own forum (a new one could be started called "2018 Slp canada" or something)

Hey everyone! I made a new thread that explicitly says it's Canadian so that we don't have to sift through to find information that's relevant for us! 

It's called "2018 Canadian SLP Thread", but you can also find it here: 

I hope to see my fellow Canadian applicants there! :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm considering applying to some SLP master's programs in the US, but I have a BA in Linguistics from a Canadian university. I've noticed that many American programs require you to have graduated with an undergraduate degree in communication disorders, otherwise you must take a full year prerequisite track (which does not necessarily guarantee you will be accepted to their MA program once completed). My question is: Does anyone know of any programs in the US that can be completed in 2 years with my BA in Linguistics? Thanks in advance! :)

Hey everyone, 

So I'm considering starting a SLPa diploma before applying to grad schools, does anyone know whether diploma courses will count towards the GPA you apply with? does it have to be courses at the bachelors level? 

Thanks everyone and good luck!