CSU Northridge (CSUN) vs. CSU Los Angeles (CSULA)

Hello!

I am very fortunate to have been accepted to multiple schools, but now I'm having a hard time deciding between these 2 programs! CSU Northridge (CSUN) and CSU Los Angeles (CSULA) are both great graduate programs. I completed my Post-Bacc at CSULA and enjoyed my experience there very much. The program was intense like most Post-Bacc programs in our field, but I connected with faculty, other students, and became familiar with CSULA's grad program and facilities. My biggest concern with CSULA is my commute time, which cuts away from other things such as studying, completing projects, sleeping, and free time. CSUN is much closer to me, but I've been hearing mixed reviews about the program. Students who finish Post-Baccs at CSUs other than CSUN often have to take several core classes, which can delay their graduation. The cost of these additional courses is also something to consider. I've also heard that the cohort at CSUN is twice as large, which means classes might be larger and hard to get into, and parking might be an issue.

Is anyone familiar with either program? If so, what advice do you have for me? What did you like or didn't like about the program? 

Thank you! :)

Edited by BilingualSpeechie

I think you contact CSUN to find out if you in fact have to take extra courses. If so I would say CSULA. It also sounds like you are familiar with the program and already have  positive relationships there. I would say it's one important reason why they selected you. Cal state LA is very selective because of their small cohorts so I think you'll do super well there.  In a sense you'll have the opportunity to strengthen the relationships you have already eatablished.  Even though commuting is going to be tough at least the weather is way nicer than the valley. 

Hi Maridele! Yes, you're correct. A faculty member at CSUN gave me a rough idea of how many additional courses I would need to take if I were to attend their program. As of now, I would need to take at least 3 additional courses in order to satisfy some of the prerequisites at CSUN, which means I would most likely finish the program in 2.5 years. This is not an issue for me at CSULA since I've satisfied all of their prerequisites and ASHA requirements. You make great points as to why CSULA might be a better fit for me. I absolutely agree with you! Having a more intimate program and well-established relationships with faculty and other students are a huge plus! Graduate school can be tough! Having a support system is key. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and helping me think this through! It always helps to get someone else's perspective :)  

20 hours ago, BilingualSpeechie said:

Hello!

I am very fortunate to have been accepted to multiple schools, but now I'm having a hard time deciding between these 2 programs! CSU Northridge (CSUN) and CSU Los Angeles (CSULA) are both great graduate programs. I completed my Post-Bacc at CSULA and enjoyed my experience there very much. The program was intense like most Post-Bacc programs in our field, but I connected with faculty, other students, and became familiar with CSULA's grad program and facilities. My biggest concern with CSULA is my commute time, which cuts away from other things such as studying, completing projects, sleeping, and free time. CSUN is much closer to me, but I've been hearing mixed reviews about the program. Students who finish Post-Baccs at CSUs other than CSUN often have to take several core classes, which can delay their graduation. The cost of these additional courses is also something to consider. I've also heard that the cohort at CSUN is twice as large, which means classes might be larger and hard to get into, and parking might be an issue.

Is anyone familiar with either program? If so, what advice do you have for me? What did you like or didn't like about the program? 

Thank you! :)

Congrats on your acceptances! I personally decided against CSUN because I've heard it's a longer program. It's not a normal cohort style and students sometimes have issues getting into the classes they need. From what I've read on here, it's at least 2 1/2 years. If I were from the area though, I probably would have chosen it. I have to move either way, so I chose to go with a shorter program that I was more interested in.

Good luck with your decision! I'm sure you will be happy either way. :)

8 minutes ago, ssllpp said:

Congrats on your acceptances! I personally decided against CSUN because I've heard it's a longer program. It's not a normal cohort style and students sometimes have issues getting into the classes they need. From what I've read on here, it's at least 2 1/2 years. If I were from the area though, I probably would have chosen it. I have to move either way, so I chose to go with a shorter program that I was more interested in.

Good luck with your decision! I'm sure you will be happy either way. :)

Thank you, ssllpp! Congratulations on your acceptances too! You must be so thrilled to have made a decision. What program will you be attending? Those are precisely some of my concerns with the program at CSUN. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and best of luck with graduate school!! :) 

I am one who went to CSUN for undergrad and from everything i've heard from friends who attended CSUN after for grad school it in fact is at least 2.5 years.  They do not have a set "cohort" style program where everyone takes the same classes at the same semester, etc.  This delays people even another semester possibly.  I'd say if CSULA has the cohort style program where everyone completes the same courses at the same time ti would be very advantageous.  If CSULA is the same as CSUN, where you take classes out of order from your fellow classmates, I'd then go with CSUN since it is closer.

Hello twinguy7! Thank you for your input! CSULA does have a more intimate, cohort-style program. They accept only 20 students and all of them seem to take the same classes each semester for the most part. Things might vary a bit the second year due to externship placements and rotations. I've heard grad students at CSULA are very supportive of each other and often help each other because of the nature of the program. A collaborative environment is always helpful.

"Talking" this through with all of you has definitely helped! I think I've made a decision. Thank you!! :) 

41 minutes ago, BilingualSpeechie said:

Thank you, ssllpp! Congratulations on your acceptances too! You must be so thrilled to have made a decision. What program will you be attending? Those are precisely some of my concerns with the program at CSUN. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and best of luck with graduate school!! :) 

Wellll, I sent my deposit to University of New Mexico. BUT, I'm still holding out on my waitlists at SDSU and SFSU. So we'll see where I end up! Best of luck to you as well!

25 minutes ago, ssllpp said:

Wellll, I sent my deposit to University of New Mexico. BUT, I'm still holding out on my waitlists at SDSU and SFSU. So we'll see where I end up! Best of luck to you as well!

That's wonderful! I hope you get into the program that best suits your needs ;)