How to frame your SOP? Please help

I have a slightly complicated question, but it revolves around framing my SOP for PhD programs. I am interested in so many different areas of criminal justice and criminology. I seem to be uncovering more and more areas that interest me. For instance, i just discovered that "wildlife crime" is an area of CJ research! That is very exciting to me. I still, however, have many more interests (biosocial crim, lifecourse crim, mental illness in prisons, etc). So my question is this - how do you frame your SOP when you have quite a few areas of interest? For example, would i address my interests in lifecourse crim and violence to UMD and then address my interest in wildlife crime and crime mapping for Rutgers? I guess a simpler way of putting it is this - should i be tailoring my SOP to the faculty at that particular school?

Also, how do you explain all of this to your professors who are writing your letter of recommendation? Do you just tell them you have "various research interests" and list off a few of them? I don't want to seem like i can't make up my mind about what i want to research. I'm just passionate about many different things.

Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...

No. You need to have a "theme" from the start to the end that connects with 3 faculty. It's like pitching a project and that you're the best to pursue it. Read this book: https://www.amazon.com/Graduate-Admissions-Essays-Fourth-School/dp/1607743213/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493514157&sr=1-1&keywords=graduate+admission+Essay

Thanks for the response! I'm glad someone could give me some input.

I'm mostly wondering about how to frame the statement of purpose for every school, since you are highlighting why you want to go to that particular school. It would make sense to me to incorporate research areas that at least some of the faculty are doing. I've been told if your areas of interest don't line up with any of the faculty, there's no way they'll admit you to the program. So if I'm interested in working with the professors at Rutgers who specialize in wildlife crime, and then I'm also interested in the faculty working on biosocial research at FSU, wouldn't it make sense to speak to that? Basically, tailoring your SOP to that particular school makes the most sense to me. I will look into the book you posted.