Should I retake the GRE?

akraticfanatic

I'm going to Brandeis for an MA in philosophy this fall, and plan to apply to PhD programs after that. I took the GRE last summer and scored 169V/155Q/4.0W. The verbal is good and the quantitative is fine for this field, but the writing score is not ideal. That being said, I don't know how I would really go about improving it. I did do a bunch of practice tests before taking the test. I'm also a good academic writer, generally get A's on papers and can definitely produce a solid writing sample. Any advice about whether to retake and if so, how to effectively study for the writing section? 

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:41 AM, akraticfanatic said:

I'm going to Brandeis for an MA in philosophy this fall, and plan to apply to PhD programs after that. I took the GRE last summer and scored 169V/155Q/4.0W. The verbal is good and the quantitative is fine for this field, but the writing score is not ideal. That being said, I don't know how I would really go about improving it. I did do a bunch of practice tests before taking the test. I'm also a good academic writer, generally get A's on papers and can definitely produce a solid writing sample. Any advice about whether to retake and if so, how to effectively study for the writing section? 

Given your 169V score you presumably have the verbal intelligence to do much better on the AW section. One key to doing well is using examples to support your argument. If you didn't bring examples from your outside knowledge that would explain the low score. Note that the graders tend to be liberal--regardless of your own political views, your essay should be pro-liberal. (My own score was 5.5.)

If you're applying to top PhD programs it would be good if you can raise your quantitative score, too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2017 at 10:41 AM, akraticfanatic said:

Hi akraticfanatic,

I got this advice in high school when I took the SAT/ACT. I applied this to the SAT, ACT, and GRE.

With prompts that ask for your opinion on an issue, sometimes it's really obvious what the majority of writers will write about. (Ex: what is your opinion on funding after-school programs in a disadvantaged neighborhood. Almost everyone will write a positive opinion) However, what is more interesting to the reader is if you can argue the "unfavorable" opinion. Of course, you have to have a sound argument with legitimate points. (Ex: Don't say you don't like funding after-school programs because you hate kids, but maybe talk about how the majority of crimes are committed by post-high school students so more focus should be on college preparatory classes) In my experience, this has always worked for me and I have been able to score high because of it. 

Also, on a different note:

I have found that having a well-written essay includes a very clear train of thought. I would spend time on perfecting your logic and writing flow.   

Edited by yash13177