Hi! 

I'm really curious about others that were accepted into multiple graduate SLP programs and how you chose which one to attend? I visited a few different schools and that's what helped me decide where I'd want to go. Curious to see how others picked.

Prior to even receiving my notifications, I ranked all my schools. I ranked them based on cost, location, program reputation and what I "knew" about the program by doing some research. Then once I started hearing from schools, I visited my top 3 and made my decision from there. 

I ended up getting into a few schools. One was super expensive in Boston but about double the price of another so that was out. Another program was brand new and about as much as the most expensive so that was out.

Then I got into my dream school off the waitlist vs a school that is about 3 hours from me where I live now and I could live with family.

My dad told me to take the emotion out of it and make a list of pros and cons. Then have other people look at it too and if there is a clear winner, probably at least consider that strongly. If there isn't, put the emotion back into it.

Turns out my dream sounds better when compared to the other one even without the emotion!

The biggest factor for me was cost, followed by what each program offered me in their curriculum. Location wasn't too much of a worry, as I had applied to two local schools and a school that my boyfriend was near. Based on these priorities, my undergrad school was my "top" school, as well as the closest one. Once the acceptances came in, I took a closer look at what each program had to offer, and decided that the other programs didn't have features that made extra tuition/COL/longer commute worth it. Even after deciding, sending rejection emails to the other schools was still super hard!  

I feel like I went through a roller coaster ride just to make a decision on a school.  First, I was only accepted to a school on the opposite side of the country that had a program I loved with faculty that seemed fantastic and incredibly supportive.  Then I looked into the cost of relocating my family that far to a place that we weren't sure if we wanted to settle down at after grad school, and the move alone would cost close to $10 grand plus we'd have no family even remotely nearby.  I had to make the decision to give myself a gap-year over dragging my whole family that far (there was a bit more to it than that: political views, quality of diversity, etc).  It was tough.  Right before I sent my rejection letter, I was admitted to the graduate program at my undergrad, which sounded great because of the cost of tuition and no need to move my family.  However, then I was taken off the waitlist at a school I have dreamed of going to (mostly due to the location), and it requires moving my family.  But the move is to a location we want to stay at after graduation, a program that only lasts 2 years instead of 2.5-3 years, and not too far from familial support.  Is it the cheapest option?  No.  But the move would be about half the cost of the one across country, and it seemed to have more positives.  I didn't want to stay at my undergrad once I had that offer because I want to go to grad school somewhere I can stay after more than having to relocate again in 2-3 years (when my kids would be less adaptive to a move).  I know, it's super messy and in the end it really didn't come down to the best program for me but more so the best choice for my whole family.  I hope to never have to go through this process again.   

@maurmaur was the expensive school in Boston MGH by any chance? I was accepted there and LOVED it but have to decline due to the outrageous cost. I cant handle being in so much debt so I decided to attend a school in state once I was accepted there. Good luck in your programs, everyone! :)

4 hours ago, AVG244 said:

@maurmaur was the expensive school in Boston MGH by any chance? I was accepted there and LOVED it but have to decline due to the outrageous cost. I cant handle being in so much debt so I decided to attend a school in state once I was accepted there. Good luck in your programs, everyone! :)

No it was Northeastern but for the same reason, I declined. It's a great program (at least from what I can tell), but simply too expensive when compared to other schools I was accepted at.

Cost is a big consideration but also think about where you ultimately want to begin your career and your CFY. You will be making connections in the area during your grad school career, and sometimes an internship during the program can lead to a CFY offer. Also consider if the program will give you the experience you want (i.e. a medical internship, if you ultimately want to work in a hospital)