UW-Madison Acceptances

First, congrats to all of you who have been accepted already!

I am curious if any of the recent admits have any ideas about whether or not Madison has made all of their offers for 2010?

I'll admit, this school is my top choice and I would like to hold out hope for as long as I possibly can, but I also want to be prepared.

Thanks so much and again, congratulations!!

I don't think they've finished making all of their offers. The two posters on the Results page seemed to have been notified early because they were nominated for fellowships. And I don't know if you applied for an M.A. or a Ph.D., but the two offers posted are also only Ph.D. notifications. So I think there's still hope, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think they've finished making all of their offers. The two posters on the Results page seemed to have been notified early because they were nominated for fellowships. And I don't know if you applied for an M.A. or a Ph.D., but the two offers posted are also only Ph.D. notifications. So I think there's still hope, but that's just my opinion.

This is basically how I've justified not totally losing hope just yet. I don't think you should either, Raz! From looking at past years on the results page, Madison seems to have a somewhat erratic and puzzling notification pattern, so I don't think they do it all at once. And I wonder if those two acceptances were M.A./Ph.D. bridge (which is what I applied for) or straight Ph.D., though I'm not sure it whether or not it makes a difference.

To those of you accepted at Madison: Did you apply straight to the Ph.D., or for the M.A./Ph.D. bridge?

Hello, all--

I didn't see this thread or I would have responded sooner! I was accepted by phone on Jan. 29th. So excited! I applied for the M.A./Ph.D. bridge. All I know is that they notified two or three of us ahead of time because we are nominated for fellowships.

I just received an email from them about acceptances that I would assume was sent out to M.A./Ph.D. bridge candidates....that's about all I know right now.

Way to go on the acceptance!! Wow, the UW-Madison anticipation is killing me! I can't wait until this time next month when I will have heard back from all of the schools. Being on hold is anxiety producing...I will say that right now I am kicking myself for not going the romanticism route for this school in my SoP.

Way to go on the acceptance!! Wow, the UW-Madison anticipation is killing me! I can't wait until this time next month when I will have heard back from all of the schools. Being on hold is anxiety producing...I will say that right now I am kicking myself for not going the romanticism route for this school in my SoP.

Thank you! I really wouldn't worry yet...two of my English professors (UW alums) said they remember the UW acceptance/rejection process to be pretty hectic.

I've spoken with a few of the UW professors in my area and all of them emphasized that fit is important in the application process...I'm not sure if they prioritize certain concentrations like Romanticism or 19th Century. Middle Modernity is a growing concept/field of study in the department, so that could be possible.

Just curious: which way did you go in your SoP?

I did talk about the Middle Modernity period as crucial to my analysis of the rise of the novel and the introduction of declarative human rights.

Also, to reply to a previous question---I applied directly to the PhD program.

I hope that's specific enough with being identifying! Paranoia, right?

PM' timestamp='1266014924' post='110257']Thank you! I really wouldn't worry yet...two of my English professors (UW alums) said they remember the UW acceptance/rejection process to be pretty hectic.

I've spoken with a few of the UW professors in my area and all of them emphasized that fit is important in the application process...I'm not sure if they prioritize certain concentrations like Romanticism or 19th Century. Middle Modernity is a growing concept/field of study in the department, so that could be possible.

Just curious: which way did you go in your SoP?

Edited by Raz

I'm one of the acceptances, and on cloud nine! But I do remember it being erratic, so I wouldn't panic yet. I applied in Modernism/20th century to the MA/PhD program, if it helps. Good luck to those still waiting!

Edited by intextrovert

That does help! That's my area...although poorly articulated in my previous posts.

CONGRATS! I think it's an amazing feat to be accepted any year, but especially this year!

I'm one of the acceptances, and on cloud nine! But I do remember it being erratic, so I wouldn't panic yet. I applied in Modernism/20th century to the MA/PhD program, if it helps. Good luck to those still waiting!

I just got the acceptance email for the MA/PhD candidates. It didn't have any funding info, but I'm feeling hopeful. Congrats to the phone call recipients and good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet! The spot on the website where you can check your status still says "pending" for me, so that doesn't mean much of anything.

Oh, and I'm focusing on 19th century Brit lit with an emphasis on narrative theory. Any other Victorians out there?

Edited by apcoach

I just got the acceptance email for the MA/PhD candidates. It didn't have any funding info, but I'm feeling hopeful. Congrats to the phone call recipients and good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet! The spot on the website where you can check your status still says "pending" for me, so that doesn't mean much of anything.

Oh, and I'm focusing on 19th century Brit lit with an emphasis on narrative theory. Any other Victorians out there?

Hey apcoach,

It seems that you and I are going to be stalking each other through acceptances. I also just got an acceptance from Wisconsin also. I'll see if I can pm you with my e-mail and maybe we can talk.

Has anyone who was notified via email heard about funding? I called to ask and they didn't seem comfortable discussing things over the phone before I had received my official letter. Of course, I have no idea when said letter may arrive. OSU, on the other hand, was happy to talk. Tis a shame that I like Madison so much more.

Hey U-W acceptances,

Have you guys received the very large yet still extremely vague packet about funding, visiting, etc. I was very confused and wondered if any one else was also. It seems like they were just talking about their standard funding package, but I don't know.

Also, I was on their chancellor's website, and it seems that faculty/staff/etc. have had to take 9 furlough days this past academic year. That is not a good sign (I think), but I wanted to hear some other opinions.

Also, does anyone have an idea about how big the class size is supposed to be? Also, are you going to attend the visiting weekend?

Sorry this is such a long post, but I am really excited to visit and I want to prepare before visiting (have all the right questions, etc.)

I just received my packet today and I agree that I think it just spoke about the general package that everyone gets. I am planning on attending the GASP (lol) festivities and figure I'll just try and get a better answer about all of this while there. From what one of the professors who wrote me a recommendation said, he thinks the Wisconsin cohort is larger than at other schools I applied to but one of those schools was looking for 5-7 students so Im not sure how fair the comparison is.

For the record, my focus is on representations of queer black bodies in mid 20th century American lit. :) congrats to my fellow acceptees.

Ah! I'm out of town for the weekend so can't get the package until Sunday but I'm dying to know the financial basics - I've heard scary rumors. Anyone feel comfortable sharing info about stipend amount? TAships? Funding the first year? How many years guaranteed? Insurance? Are they paying for the visiting weekend? Feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable sharing on a public forum. I'd really appreciate it! :)

*Congratulations* to everyone that has heard good news from UW!

I received the packet this week and I agree that the information on funding seems quite vague. I am definitely going to attend GASP and I am excited to meet all of you (hopefully)!

I am guessing that the class size will be similar to that of last year...the website says that 13 M.A.-Ph.D. bridge candidates were accepted. It's probably safe to say that this year's class will be a little smaller due to the economy and the effect it has had on budget/funding capabilities.

If anyone has heard anything more concrete, let me know. Also, I'd love to get to know all of you and to hear about everyone's subfields and research interests!

*Congratulations* to everyone that has heard good news from UW!

I received the packet this week and I agree that the information on funding seems quite vague. I am definitely going to attend GASP and I am excited to meet all of you (hopefully)!

I am guessing that the class size will be similar to that of last year...the website says that 13 M.A.-Ph.D. bridge candidates were accepted. It's probably safe to say that this year's class will be a little smaller due to the economy and the effect it has had on budget/funding capabilities.

If anyone has heard anything more concrete, let me know. Also, I'd love to get to know all of you and to hear about everyone's subfields and research interests!

divinemg--

I am very excited to meet everyone also! We seem to have similar interests. I am nineteenth-century (B & A) and am interested in history of science, medicine, and law.

Meet you soon (and hopefully we can get the pesky "funding" questions out of the way!)

Hi everyone,

I was also accepted to Madison's M.A./PhD program and will be attending the GASP weekend (nice acronym)... I'm excited to meet everyone there.

My concentration is in 20th century modernism.

Congratulations to all.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for GASP days. The coordinators have been remarkably organized and that seems to bode well. Anyone else think we should have some kind of code, so we know when we are among gradcafe friends? Pink carnations, tootsie roll pops, copies of Emma. . . the possibilities are endless.