Prepping for the 2018 cycle!

EvelynD

2 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

@EvelynD I'm writing out stats for pokemon:D 

I've started this cross stich project to make a blanket with all the cards of the first generation, but I just can't find the time. 

1 minute ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

@EvelynD Nice! I'm making a tabletop rpg because why not (and I don't think the mechanics of current rpgs on the market work well with the mechanics of pokemon).

I'm 100% sure these things will make us stronger applicants! :P

Name dropping, yay or ney? Last september I wrote a chapter for a (non-academic) book from a European anthropologist, and I've been in touch with a prof from a different field who is an expert in the area I want to work in. She has been super nice to me, sending me lists of contacts and books and articles I might be interested in. I want to make a note if this in my SoP to show the progress I made over the year. Should I mention their names or not?

I would mention the euro anth prof, but clarify that it was a non academic chapter. This will show your service outside of the discipline. May I ask what your chapter was about? However, mentioning the other woman you’ve been in contact with will definitely come off as name dropping in an unfavorable manner, unless this was someone you academically trained under. 

So, now this is after the deadline for this school and after I was told this would be a great fit department and POI and after I involved another professor from another department in a potential collaborative project, POI tells me I really should have applied to a different department under a different POI because, while my methodological/theoretical/time period interests fit with him, my geographic interests don't. So the fit would be bad. HOMIE. YOU CAN'T TELL ME THIS 2 DAYS AFTER THE DEADLINE. 

I guess the good thing here is that I have contacts in the geographic region, so I'll send a note that as long as he's willing to advise me on everything else, I can make the region work. My subfield is very small, this would not be unheard of....Yes? No? STRESSSSS  

This is the first time I've talked to him, because he's been out in the field. I got the suggestion to use him as a POI from the anthro grad adviser and from one of the other profs in anthro and that other prof I've been talking to in another department. I guess it's my fault for assuming based on recommendations that he'd be interested, but there was no way to contact him in the field. Giant catch 22. 

Oh no, that's annoying. I applied to a uni that doesn't have anyone who works in my region, but the POI I was chatting to said there are people in other departments who do and that there's time to make connections with them. He also mentioned the possibility of a committee member outside the university. If you fit with him or other profs in the department, your app isn't necessarily a write-off!

Yeah, that's what I said in my email back. I have my own contacts in my region, so it's not really that big of a deal if he doesn't. I also do have the same situation as yours, @jamesaly , at a different school, where a POI is willing to help me find people to cover the bases where she doesn't fit. I hope this works. the situation would be super awesome at this place if it does work out...

On 4-12-2017 at 8:40 PM, jamesaly said:

For sure - good luck @Archaeodan!

Final letter writer just submitted - all applications are complete! Now the real worry begins.... :wacko:

Good luck! I've admitted 5, there are 2 more in January, and I'm thinking about adding 1-2 extra because why not. 

Also, there is a reorganization going on at my job, so there is a possibility that on Januari 1th I'll be out of a job. Yay!

Way to go @EvelynD! Too bad about the job, fingers crossed it works out for you.

I would like to make another application or two but can't bring myself to do it. I need to focus on other things - I'm self-employed and just lost a contract (client is also 'restructuring' in a sense), so I'm happy to have applications off my mind!

Good work, @EvelynD! I'm sorry about your job, but hey, maybe life is trying to free you up for all of those interviews and acceptances you're going to get :D

@jamesaly, I feel your pain. I think I am going to end up applying to one of the schools I recently decided not to apply to (for a weird reason; it's on an island, and I am extremely concerned about a massive earthquake happening while I'm there...) because I heard back from my POI and she genuinely seemed interested in possibly taking on my project. Which is better than I can say for most POI, who didn't respond to follow up emails.. but I'm just chalking it up to them being busy. :wacko:

Has anyone heard of successful applicants who reached out to POIs and heard an initial positive response, only to follow up and hear nothing? I'm trying not to read too much into it, but speculation is all I have at this point and I am trying to tamp that down, lest I start spiraling into a cycle of negativity, haha.