Prepping for the 2018 cycle!

EvelynD

Thanks! I'm applying at around 8-10 of schools, almost all different from last year. I'll publish the full list a bit later on (don't hate me guys, just kinda want to keep it to myself), but this is for a University of Texas. Great fit, but soo many hurdles. They want me to send transcripts of all the collega's I've attended. I've attended 3. My first degree I got from this shitty college that stopt offering the BA program that I attended years ago. The only thing they are able to send is a copy of a transcript, in Dutch, to me. Not to the schools directly, so I would have to translate it which I can't afford. Also, my grades were horrible as I just got out of high school and didn't care about my education. I just calculated my GPA and it's 2.5 (as a comparison, my  graduate GPA in anthro is 3,4, and this was at a university, not some crappy community college). But I have to upload it, so I'll have to figure out a way to explain this monstrosity. 

@EvelynD I can take a look if you want.

Regarding U of Texas, I applied last year and remember the application process being weird and confusing.  I basically had to submit two applications: the first went through the entire U of Texas system, and when that finally got approved after a day or two I was directed to another site where I had to do a more specific application for UT-Austin.  It's a great department but they make you jump through so many hoops just to send in an application!

Have you been through the part where they ask for who recommended you? It's about one third in the application. I thought they ment LoR, but I can only pick from the department of liberal arts. Do they mean the prof's you want to work with?

And I hate that all the systems are so different! Sometimes you have to google half the stuff just to find out what they mean!

On 10/7/2017 at 8:51 AM, EvelynD said:

Good luck! I've got a SoP that is kinda ready to be considered as a first draft, we can exchange if you like?

I just found out that one of my programs has a priority deadline for funding at november 1st. didn't know, so now I have to rush things, especially my GRE scores and LoR's. Urg...

Definitely! I'll shoot you a message. That's a rough discovery!!!

• 2 weeks later...

San Antonio. Graduate school has an early deadline for the scholarships. Luckily I've written a proposal over the summer so I had most o the content for my letter, but I've heard they only have a handful of scholarships for everybody that applied for this deadline. Without it whatever you get from the department only covers your tuition. I'm kinda letting go of the naive hope that I've had so far :P 

Hi!

I am a senior undergrad at Ohio State, and I am applying to graduate programs in Anthropology, specifically bioarchaeology and historical archaeology for the first time this cycle. My research interests generally surround the effects of changes in social and environmental structure in historic populations. Ideally, I would like to examine this topic in both the bioarchaeological and archaeological records. My dream time periods/places of study would be African Diaspora and the effects of changing definitions of race in Reconstruction era society, or the way that catastrophic events can alter social and environmental structures in historic Europe such as during the Black Death, times of war or famine, and the Industrial Revolution. Because my interests straddle both archaeology and bioarchaeology, I am mostly interested in M.A./M.S. programs or sequential M.A./Ph.D. programs that encourage some degree of exploration and the development of a broad base knowledge of multiple sub-disciplines before the deep specialization required for a dissertation. 

Currently, I am planning to apply to UT Knoxville, University of South Carolina, UMass Boston, University of West Florida, and maybe several others. I have had conversations with POI at all of the schools I specifically mentioned and they all seemed at least cordially receptive to my interests. I am absolutely open to suggestions for other programs!

My current academic background is pretty heavy on bioarchaeological coursework, two different field schools, work in both a bioarchaeology and archaeology lab on campus, and experience with a program that does outreach to educate both children and adults about the field of anthropology. 

My overall GPA is a 3.39 with two semesters left ( I had some serious health issues in my first two semesters that I plan to address in my personal statement). The last 4 semesters of my undergrad have a GPA of 3.71 with 3 semesters on the dean's list, and my major GPA is 3.88. I am hoping that by the time I graduate I will have at least a 3.4 GPA and an original GIS-based research project. 

My current GRE scores are V: 159 and Q: 155 AW: 4.5. I am taking it again tomorrow (please cross fingers for me!!) and hope to bring my Verbal up to above a 160. Basically I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about where I might stack up or how I can improve my candidacy. I've already become an undergrad member of AAA and AAPA. I know that since this is my first application cycle there is a good chance I won't get in, but I am hopeful that I'll be able to get some feedback from different schools about how I can prep for the next cycle and become a better applicant!

Hey @towerbridge, I’ve done some collaboration with Kristina Killgrove (I’m assuming that’s who you’re talking about) on palaeodiet during the Black Death and Roman imperialism. If you want, send me a pm and we can discuss more. 

I did my MA at GSU and though our faculty is Latin American focused, its still a good program for your interest. 

8 hours ago, towerbridge said:

Hi!

I am a senior undergrad at Ohio State, and I am applying to graduate programs in Anthropology, specifically bioarchaeology and historical archaeology for the first time this cycle. My research interests generally surround the effects of changes in social and environmental structure in historic populations. Ideally, I would like to examine this topic in both the bioarchaeological and archaeological records. My dream time periods/places of study would be African Diaspora and the effects of changing definitions of race in Reconstruction era society, or the way that catastrophic events can alter social and environmental structures in historic Europe such as during the Black Death, times of war or famine, and the Industrial Revolution. Because my interests straddle both archaeology and bioarchaeology, I am mostly interested in M.A./M.S. programs or sequential M.A./Ph.D. programs that encourage some degree of exploration and the development of a broad base knowledge of multiple sub-disciplines before the deep specialization required for a dissertation. 

Currently, I am planning to apply to UT Knoxville, University of South Carolina, UMass Boston, University of West Florida, and maybe several others. I have had conversations with POI at all of the schools I specifically mentioned and they all seemed at least cordially receptive to my interests. I am absolutely open to suggestions for other programs!

My current academic background is pretty heavy on bioarchaeological coursework, two different field schools, work in both a bioarchaeology and archaeology lab on campus, and experience with a program that does outreach to educate both children and adults about the field of anthropology. 

My overall GPA is a 3.39 with two semesters left ( I had some serious health issues in my first two semesters that I plan to address in my personal statement). The last 4 semesters of my undergrad have a GPA of 3.71 with 3 semesters on the dean's list, and my major GPA is 3.88. I am hoping that by the time I graduate I will have at least a 3.4 GPA and an original GIS-based research project. 

My current GRE scores are V: 159 and Q: 155 AW: 4.5. I am taking it again tomorrow (please cross fingers for me!!) and hope to bring my Verbal up to above a 160. Basically I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about where I might stack up or how I can improve my candidacy. I've already become an undergrad member of AAA and AAPA. I know that since this is my first application cycle there is a good chance I won't get in, but I am hopeful that I'll be able to get some feedback from different schools about how I can prep for the next cycle and become a better applicant!

I'm assuming that you either want to work with either Sharon DeWitte or Carlina de la Cova at USC. I know them both personally and they are both amazing individuals. I am going to try and get Sharon on my committee for my MA thesis since it is looking at Black Death in another context. USC is also on my list for PhD programs after I get my MA. UWF is amazing with Kristina (whom I also know personally). It is a great program and would be an amazing experience, especially with Kristina's research interests.

Another school that you should look at is College of William & Mary. Michael Blakey is there and is a bioarchaeologist doing research on the African Diaspora. You could also potentially look at University of Oklahoma. They have a lot of bioarchaeologists on staff, but they are more centered around molecular bioarchaeology. However, Lesley Rankin-Hill is an Emerita there and she did research on the African Diaspora with Michael Blakey. So they might still be receptive to having you there to study that.

I have plenty of other programs in mind that you could look at but it would take too long to type out on here. If you want some more help with finding programs, please feel free to PM me and I can try and help as much as I can.

@suavesana, that's what I was leaning towards. I feel like if they don't respond, they're clearly not that interested and end similarly with an application. I don't really have much money to apply, so I don't want to waste it applying to a school whose faculty I haven't even talked to.

35 minutes ago, phyanth said:

@suavesana, that's what I was leaning towards. I feel like if they don't respond, they're clearly not that interested and end similarly with an application. I don't really have much money to apply, so I don't want to waste it applying to a school whose faculty I haven't even talked to.

That's how I feel, too -- it's costly to apply, and it seems too risky to spend $100+ to apply somewhere that you have no connection to when that is actually a pretty important indicator of your potential success in admittance IMO.

6 hours ago, phyanth said:

Question for you guys. Would you apply to a school where you reached out to a POI but never heard back?

Some POI's don't reply out of principle. They don't want to communicate with any students before they've read the applications. I wouldn't take a school off the table if it is a good fit just because the POI doesn't respond to your initial inquiry. 

6 hours ago, daykid said:

Some POI's don't reply out of principle. They don't want to communicate with any students before they've read the applications. I wouldn't take a school off the table if it is a good fit just because the POI doesn't respond to your initial inquiry. 

Good to know, thanks for this!

On ‎2017‎年‎10‎月‎31‎日 at 6:01 AM, daykid said:

Agree. I've read an article written by a student who got a few top offers talked about the results of reaching out and the application results, the conclusion was there was no clear connection : there were programs she had good conversations with eventually turned her down, programs never responded gave her offers(and programs she had good connections gave her offer).

So I think it's better to rule out programs don't fit that well.

I agree with @kittyball. Personally, I failed to apply to one program for what is, objectively, a stupid reason: there was some bureaucratic nightmare with my pre-reqs/eligibility for something or other, and the administrative staff with whom I was trying to resolve it were brusque with me in like two emails. Dumb! But I think I crossed it off my list because it was a huge stretch for fit anyway, so I was willing to cross it off for more trivial reasons.* So, if a POI not responding is your sign that you weren't that into that program anyway...go ahead and cross it off. But if it's a really good program for you, every single cell in my body screams, no, don't take it off your list just for that! People have health crises! People have babies! People have policies about not emailing students back! If you get in and you find out the POI is in fact like that—i.e., non-responsive and detached even from their current students—feel free not to say yes to their offer. The better juncture for that decision is after admission, however, not before.

*I then got access to an academic library again and actually read this POI's book, a POI who was the main-to-only reason I was considering the program. His research matches mine thematically, like, exactly, but OH BOY do I ever have (angry) thoughts about how he actually approached his subject. In the end, that application fee was well avoided.