EdM and Phd in Economics and Education, advices needed

Gillian1324

I was recently admitted to the Master of Education Program in Economics and Education at Teachers College. I just finished my M.A in higher education administration, and I have gradually  developed interest in educational measurement and statistics. My original plan was to finish my Optional Practical Training period (I'm an international student), then apply for a doctoral degree in educational measurement. A friend of mine applied for doctoral programs in educational measurement this year, was only admitted to Master's program due to her lack of statistical training. I have very similar background, so I am concern that I may be admitted to a master's program as well. So I have to think seriously about this EdM. This EdM requires 60 credits, and is merely 15 credits less than its doctoral program. But I understand, doctoral programs at Teachers College must be extremely competitive. I still hope to be admitted to its PhD program, after I complete this EdM. If anyone has any knowledge of the competitiveness of teachers college's doctoral program, please reply. I greatly appreciate your opinions and times. 

On 5/30/2017 at 9:28 PM, Gillian1324 said:

I was recently admitted to the Master of Education Program in Economics and Education at Teachers College. I just finished my M.A in higher education administration, and I have gradually  developed interest in educational measurement and statistics. My original plan was to finish my Optional Practical Training period (I'm an international student), then apply for a doctoral degree in educational measurement. A friend of mine applied for doctoral programs in educational measurement this year, was only admitted to Master's program due to her lack of statistical training. I have very similar background, so I am concern that I may be admitted to a master's program as well. So I have to think seriously about this EdM. This EdM requires 60 credits, and is merely 15 credits less than its doctoral program. But I understand, doctoral programs at Teachers College must be extremely competitive. I still hope to be admitted to its PhD program, after I complete this EdM. If anyone has any knowledge of the competitiveness of teachers college's doctoral program, please reply. I greatly appreciate your opinions and times. 

If your goal is to do PhD and if you already have a Master's degree in education, DO NOT waste your money on TC's program unless they are providing you with full scholarship. Look for other programs with cheaper tuition that can give you better & practical experience or get a research position that can allow you to obtain these skills that you do not have. 

On 6/1/2017 at 5:20 PM, jortin10 said:

If Statistics is the issue, have you considered looking for 15-18 graduate credit certificate programs in NY or online to take?

Thanks for your answer. It is much better to have a certificate program or take classes then another degree. 

On 6/1/2017 at 6:13 PM, COGSCI said:

If your goal is to do PhD and if you already have a Master's degree in education, DO NOT waste your money on TC's program unless they are providing you with full scholarship. Look for other programs with cheaper tuition that can give you better & practical experience or get a research position that can allow you to obtain these skills that you do not have. 

Thanks for you answer. Teachers college's tuition, financial aid and NYC rent are horrifying. So, it is very true that this program may not wroth it. 

1 hour ago, Gillian1324 said:

Thanks for you answer. Teachers college's tuition, financial aid and NYC rent are horrifying. So, it is very true that this program may not wroth it. 

Your friend's case is a bit different than yours because educational measurement is literally statistics program so if your friend did not have a sufficient background in stats, that would be a problem. For economics, yes you do have to have some stats background but I think you have enough academic training from your MA for them to consider you for PhD. Again, all you need is a semester (may be 2 econ related quant courses) at graduate or even undergraduate level.

13 hours ago, COGSCI said:

Your friend's case is a bit different than yours because educational measurement is literally statistics program so if your friend did not have a sufficient background in stats, that would be a problem. For economics, yes you do have to have some stats background but I think you have enough academic training from your MA for them to consider you for PhD. Again, all you need is a semester (may be 2 econ related quant courses) at graduate or even undergraduate level.

Personally, I am more inclined to a PhD or Master in educational measurement. My first M.A provided me a general understanding of American higher education. Since my undergraduate major was English, I did not have prior experience in education, just some volunteer and summer interns. I wanted to work for The World Bank, but the chance is extremely slim. I do not have an neither economic nor international education background. 

3 hours ago, Gillian1324 said:

Personally, I am more inclined to a PhD or Master in educational measurement. My first M.A provided me a general understanding of American higher education. Since my undergraduate major was English, I did not have prior experience in education, just some volunteer and summer interns. I wanted to work for The World Bank, but the chance is extremely slim. I do not have an neither economic nor international education background. 

Is it the intersection of education and economics that interests you or just economics? Why the World Bank for education and not UNESCO?  You should definitely think about what you focus on. If you don't have much experience in quant methods, I guess TC program should give you some training. Again, it is an expensive degree.

2 hours ago, COGSCI said:

Is it the intersection of education and economics that interests you or just economics? Why the World Bank for education and not UNESCO?  You should definitely think about what you focus on. If you don't have much experience in quant methods, I guess TC program should give you some training. Again, it is an expensive degree.

I deeply appreciate your advices. I am currently in D.C, and I had several informational interviews with people who work at the WB. So far, I like what I have heard. It just makes more sense to me to explore the connection between economic development and education investment. I think I realize my career far too late. As an international student, I feel less qualified to analyze American higher education than domestic students. Thank you so much for your posts, they make me think!! I think I will go for it, and study harder than ever. The cost is outrageous... 

I do not think being a citizen of a particular country qualifies someone to be a better analyst. As an international student, you have a unique opportunities to compare and contrast various educational system. So please think of it as a strength. 

TC is great in terms of that IVY label but I wouldn't make a quick decision on this. Take a day or two to think about what you can do if you do not attend TC. What other lower cost programs that can give you the same or better experience? Also, what about working in research institutions or policy related jobs that you can acquire these skills? 

School is great, but I think there are other possibilities. Again, this might not be the most ideal way to deal with the situation but sometimes we need to realize that more school is not always the best solution. 

Edited by COGSCI
more info