Geography 2018 Applications Thread

kpietromica

3 hours ago, Arcanine said:

Hey does anyone want to claim the UC Berkeley admission? Does anyone have updates? Hope all is going well for everyone.

Do you mean you know someone got into Berkeley?

11 hours ago, kpietromica said:

Do you mean you know someone got into Berkeley?

Nope, someone yesterday posted on the results page that they got accepted into UC Berkeley Geography program. Someone also got into U of Texas Austin for GIS today. I'm just curious and anxious :)

Undergrad Institution: Very prestigious NE university, but small earth science (no geography dept) 
Major(s): BA Earth Science (Geology Conc)
GPA in Major: 3.25
Overall GPA: 3.49
Position in Class: Not sure
Type of Student: US Male

Interests: Geomorphology and  human-environment interaction

Research: 1 summer at a National Lab and 1.5 years working with an anthro professor

Professional experience: 

1 summer with USGS

GRE Scores: 164A 161Q 4.5W

Applied to:

UT Austin MA (Accepted)

U Delaware MS

U Oregon MS

Oregon State MS

U Calgary MS

3 hours ago, Arcanine said:

Nope, someone yesterday posted on the results page that they got accepted into UC Berkeley Geography program. Someone also got into U of Texas Austin for GIS today. I'm just curious and anxious :)

Where is this results page?!

So, if you see results of declinations that are a couple weeks old for the program you applied for, should you still be hopeful?

4 hours ago, Arcanine said:

If you look at the top of the page (on desktop) there is a tab that says results. On mobile, you have to look under the menu. Here is the link: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

THANK YOU!

On 25/01/2018 at 7:05 AM, kw_geographer2018 said:

University of South Carolina seems to send out decisions relatively early from what I hear of last year's cycle at least.  I visited Penn State in the fall and everyone there confirmed that Penn State sends their decisions out ridiculously late usually, like to the point where you may have already made a decision otherwise.  Good luck!

Thank you for the info bro 

Just wanted to poke my head in here, wish you all good luck (and condolences for any rejections), and to let anyone know who's applied to Ohio State that I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the program/campus/Columbus and that I hopefully get to see some of you at the visit day!

-A second-year Ph.D. student who spent too much time on here two years ago during my Ph.D. application cycle :lol:

So we have an idea of when some schools acceptances/rejections come out... Did anyone apply to West Virginia University or know when their acceptances/rejections roll out? Similarly, University of Kentucky? I applied to both programs early/mid January. More interested in WVU, as that was the earliest application of the two. 

Also: sorry if anyone did say they applied to these schools and I missed it! 

8 hours ago, GeographyOSU said:

Just wanted to poke my head in here, wish you all good luck (and condolences for any rejections), and to let anyone know who's applied to Ohio State that I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the program/campus/Columbus and that I hopefully get to see some of you at the visit day!

-A second-year Ph.D. student who spent too much time on here two years ago during my Ph.D. application cycle :lol:

I already got my reject from Geography, but I hope to still be admitted to the Comparative Studies program, though I'm not very hopeful. I got to visit with Becky Mansfield and Nancy Ettlinger last fall and they were really great. I hope I get the chance to work with Nancy sometime. 

Thanks for the well wishes for us all!

9 hours ago, kpietromica said:

I already got my reject from Geography, but I hope to still be admitted to the Comparative Studies program, though I'm not very hopeful. I got to visit with Becky Mansfield and Nancy Ettlinger last fall and they were really great. I hope I get the chance to work with Nancy sometime. 

Thanks for the well wishes for us all!

Sorry to hear about your reject :(..but I've got my fingers crossed for your CS application! That's an awesome department (you probably know this of course ;)) and of course, you'd have the opportunity to bring in people like Nancy and Becky onto your committee. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Nouman Afzal said:

Got rejected by University of Washington (PhD) and University of Arizona (MA). But got my acceptance from Texas A&M. No words on funding yet. 

So far 1A, 3R, 9P.

Hey I'm with you on University of Arizona (and congrats on your acceptance to TAM)! I just got rejected yesterday. So far that's the only one that I've heard from. Luckily it's not my top choice, but it does make me more nervous. I'm hoping that I'll hear back from the others within the next couple of weeks. I need to know if I need to apply for teaching positions! Still waiting on UNC Chapel Hill, Clark University, and UH Manoa.

Edited by Arcanine

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...